Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Smoking Wrecks  (Read 461 times)

Slappy

Smoking Wrecks
« on: 25 Apr 2003, 19:16:02 »
Firstly I mean wrecks in the noun sense not as a verb :)

Just a small something I have used to make missions and cutscenes a bit more atmospheric. Placing wrecks of trucks and M113s creates the idea that there has been some action in an area but it also looks like the action is long finished. I tried to set vehicles burning by using the setdammage 4 command but the smoke doesn't last for very long. Next up I tried placing a fire directly under the wrecked vehicle. This sort of works but you can still see the fireplace, which spoils the effect. To my pleasant surprise though, placing the fire slightly underground still produces smoke but hides the fire place.

So, to have a smoking wreck(s) at the scene of a recent battle, place a M113, Ural or whatever wreck on the map. Then place a fireplace directly under it and put the following in the initialization field:

this inflame true; this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, (getPos this select 2) - .5]

You can adjust the depth underground (the -.5) to see what affect it has on the smoke. I haven't played with this but guess setting it deeper would mean less smoke was visable.

Finally, I've had a search on the forums and in the Editing snippets but couldn't find this idea elsewhere, though that might be because it is so obvious. If it has already been posted here, sorry for double posting :(

Anyway, back to alpha testing :)

Knut Erik

Re:Smoking Wrecks
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2003, 11:59:11 »
Learn about the drop command.
You can create allmost anything that haves with smoke to do!

Bad Maniac

Re:Smoking Wrecks
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2003, 14:10:23 »
Hey Knut, that sounds interesting, any pointers where to find info on the Drop command? Its not in the command ref.