Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: x, y and z?!  (Read 992 times)

titan

x, y and z?!
« on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:16:21 »
ive been using the editor since the game first came out, and ive only really used the Getpos command. So can everyone tell me what the x, y and z represent. I know its the angle, distance and smething else!!?!?!?!?!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:x, y and z?!
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:41:28 »
I imagine it would be x position, y position and height.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:46:31 »
 ???

They can represent anything you like, you can have a variable y if you want.

If you are referring to the system of coordinates that command like getpos and setpos use ... they come in the form [x,z,y] where x is north-south and z is east-west.   Or the other way around, I can never remember.    y is up-down, or height.    

This is a Cartesian coordinate system.   The origin is at the SW corner of the map.    Your post refers to a polar coordinate system, which of course you can use (Sui made a post on how to convert from one to the other only today) but it is not really built into the game.

Nobody knows why BIS decided to describe it as x,z,y instead of x,y,z.   Or if they do they aren't telling.   Well, ok, its just me that doesn't know. ;D

If you look under common array formats in the official command ref - its a special topic - you will find out more.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

titan

« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:58:13 »
 ??? *looks around for help*  ???

major asshole

« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2003, 22:07:16 »
G'day

I've always thought it was

x=right/left
 y=forward/back
 z=up/down (height)

L8R

titan

« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2003, 22:14:20 »
so say i put an object at   [200, 120, 1]   it will be 200 up and 120 right from the bottom left corner of the map. And 1 off the ground (all numbers in metres).?!?!?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2003, 22:24:21 »
 If you use this script I'm attaching......   and drive around a little bit it will update your  coordinates every few seconds via the hint box....

start yourself as the driver of a vehicle.....  and put this in the init field:

[]exec "Pos.sqs"

You can quickly get the idea of the coordinate system by driving around for a few seconds....     I would imagine you could use it in a chopper to see all three coordinates change ;)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2003, 22:48:03 »
 :tomato: lol I'll just crawl back under my stone now .....

The Map grids squares to coordinates table might give you more of a handle on what's happening.

When placing objects, the standard way is to use a marker or gamelogic to identify the spot.    That's because its very easy to place something like that on the map, but working out the coordinates (although perfectly possible) is a bit of a chore.

Did you start this thread from a purely philosophical or scientific point of view?   (Which is absolutely fine.)    Or is there an underlying problem with which we can help?

Anyway, having said all that the answer to the question in your last post is yes.   (Unless its 200 right and 120 up of course.)     Try it and see.    Don't use a soldier to test it, he will probably drown.

titan

« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2003, 22:59:43 »
i was just wondering, just been reading alot of threads with all the cords! with the marker thing, how wld you raise the object?! i know the command but where wld u put it. Take this for instance...

You are a guy running around for no reason, then you desicide you create a house to live in 30 metres in front of you and 50 right of you. And also 200 metres in the air (so its a challenge)!?

titan

« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2003, 23:23:18 »
ok, i tried that script and in the init of my ah1 player as pilot. i put    [] exec "Pos.sqs"    when i click enter it says Invalid Expretion.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr 2003, 01:00:13 »
To create that house, just check the post Sui made today or yesterday.   No, I can't remember which thread.