Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Landing Choppers on top of ...  (Read 1921 times)

Hunted

Landing Choppers on top of ...
« on: 30 Aug 2002, 10:00:03 »
I really really really would like to find out how on this particular question.

I have tried the 'getPos' blah blah to raise the H or rather the Invisible H.  To match the height of the building.

I know that it is possible to land it there (human flying). But the AI seems to disgree with elevated cement.

Any suggestions? Ideas? solutions?

*Offering beer to the chosen few*   :cheers:

Hunted...

Rimak

Re:Landing Choppers on top of ...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2002, 11:28:52 »
Hello,

I did that this way:

Ordered a chopper to hover above the required building (using a lot of waypoints and set speed to LIMITED to prevent chopper gaining speed), then when it is above the building ordered it to 'flyInHeight' of the building roof + 1..3m, and finally when it is hovering about 1..3m from the roof, i ordered it to turn the engine off.

Also i tried to make a chopper pickup script that calls a chopper and picks up a soldier (player). I wanted to make the chopper able to pickup the player from the roof of any building he is standing. But game reports that the soldier height from the ground is 0 (when he is standing on the roof of the building that is 10 m. high) so i couldn't calculate the distance for 'flyInHeight' command correctly. Even 'distance' command reports wrong distance. See "Distance calculation between objects" topic.
:-\

Hunted

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2002, 21:08:15 »
Thanks Rimak I will give that a try but this looks like yet another trial and error project ::)

I suppose you can limit the speed of the Chopper by using a command/script can't you?

I thought I saw it somewhere...this setspeed or something similar...

Rimak

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2002, 21:25:25 »
There is no such command 'setSpeed'  :(
or something similar in official command reference.

I used a lots of waypoints (5-8) close to landing target to prevent chopper gaining speed.

Bomberman

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2002, 22:57:20 »
ive dont it with ai landing on roof perfectly and dropping spec ops off :DD

Hunted

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2002, 22:58:12 »
There is no such command 'setSpeed'  :(
or something similar in official command reference.

No I'm sure there is something similar.
What was it called... setSpeedMove or something that started with 'setSpeed...'  
Also I wonder what the variables are for that command.
i.e. this setSpeedXXXX "Slow","1~4","1~100" etc
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2002, 22:58:54 by Hunted »

Hunted

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2002, 23:00:33 »
ive dont it with ai landing on roof perfectly and dropping spec ops off :DD

Would you care to enlighten us with your success??? :hmm:

C'mon sport, sharing is caring... ;D

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2002, 23:01:53 »
group setSpeedMode mode
Operand types:
    group: Object or Group
    mode: String
Type of returned value:
    None
Description:
    Set group speed mode. Mode may be one of: "LIMITED" (half speed),"NORMAL" (full speed, maintain formation),"FULL" (do not wait for any other units in formation).

Example:
    groupOne setSpeedMode "LIMITED"

You can set either LIMITED, NORMAL or FULL. I.E the same options as you can set with waypoints.
There is no SetSpeedMove, or SetSpeed command, unfortunately.

I don't think BIS ever meant for us to get this involved in scripting ;D

Cheers, KTottE
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Hunted

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2002, 00:41:15 »
That's the one!

setSpeedMode

Thank you, KTottE.

Bomberman

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2002, 06:59:39 »
ill put it up here as soon as i can. you will need the lil bird tho bacause its the only one that fits, and looks good. :P right now im going to bed. ;D

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2002, 10:04:08 »
FYI. Choppers are a pain in the butt, so let me throw out a few hints that will save you some trial and error.

setspeedmode ONLY takes effect after the chopper starts another waypoint. So if he is on his way to a way point and you do set speedmode "limited" from a script, the chopper will not slow down until it starts its next waypoint.

If want you create waypoints with a script, use the "move" command. - like: chopper1 move [234,6664,0]

setspeedmode will NOT work with the domove or commandmove commands. You need to use waypoints, hence the move command.  ;D
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.