Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Mission Design  (Read 551 times)

Iwesshome

Mission Design
« on: 01 Apr 2003, 15:47:11 »
Ok,

I have been reading and observing many things on theses posts when it comes to mission designing and I have two questions to ask to make sure I understand what I read.

1. When making a mission you could create each opposing forces strategic placement separately then combine the two different maps together.

Example:

A. Americans - Island: Malden
B. Soviets - Island: Malden

C. Combine the two in the editor and you have both sides ready to fight each other without getting messed up in the design?

2. Was told never to use waypoint to activate something - always use triggers.

Example:

So if I had a chopper flying at Full speed wanting to go to Normal, I could set up a trigger and have him change speed without the waypoint? Would this help eliminate the choppers from soaring 2000 feet into the air when coming to a waypoint speed change?

unitName Speedmode "Normal"

Thanks for the input... I would try this at home but that isn't possible for the next 10 hours... curiosity sucks  ::)

IW

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Mission Design
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2003, 16:04:43 »
1.   Yes, using the Merge function in the mission editor can be very useful, particularly when designing a multi-stage mission.   It means you can create each part seperately, which can be particularly helpful for testing.    It's just a question of personal design style though.

2.  Not quite.     You should definitely use waypoints for controlling the behaviour of AI units - that is what they are for.  In your example you should use the waypoint.

The rule is really that you should never use player waypoints to make things happen.    If the player is playing in Veteran mode he will never even see them.    Player waypoints are just guides to help those playing in Cadet mode.

We were talking about this the other day in this thread.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2003, 16:05:17 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr 2003, 16:39:54 »
Macguba,

1. Lets say I create two different parts and merged them together... one is like option #1 and the other is option #2 how do I get the game to automatically switch?

Example:

Proceed to LZ 1 - If enemy presence is light
Proceed to LZ 2 - If enemy presence is heavy

How can you scan the area and determine what is heavy or light forces?

Iwesshome

« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr 2003, 16:40:46 »
Also why are scripts better than triggers so I read?

IW

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2003, 17:45:03 »
The two different parts thing is only when you are CREATING the mission ... its not for when you are playing it.  The switch you are describing is perfectly possible and you would use lots of switch triggers to achieve it.

Create two test missions, hit the merge button and you'll see what I mean.

Triggers are bad because they create lag.   They also have just a tiny little box to write things in.    

If a sequence of events can be traced back to a single event, fire one trigger only when that event occurs and then use a script to make the various things happen.     You can use delays like this

~12

to separate the consequences in time.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play