Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Holes in Pop-Up Target  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Holes in Pop-Up Target
« on: 18 Mar 2003, 07:46:16 »
Hello,

i am not sure if it possible, so i ask the mighty AddOn Makers:
I just tested a Pop-Up Target AddOn which i very nice but it has a big Disadvantage. There are no Bullet Holes.  If i shot in the ground i can see them. But if shoot an Object i only get those small dust clouds.

I want to see the wholes of my mighty gun! Any ideas if that is possible or how this could be done ?
Compose the Target of a alot sub Objects which can be destroyed for example

Greetings Kuro  

Kaliyuga

Re:Holes in Pop-Up Target
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2003, 09:44:26 »
  Yeah.. I was thinking about something along those lines a while back....

I'm on spring break this week so maybe I'll throw something together and see how it looks...  

In theory it should work fine..   I can work on the pieces of the target and try to figure out how to set them as a group in the editor that will stack all the pieces correctly... similar to what Klink did with his radar base comprised of several objects  

I'll be sure to send you what I come up with Kuro and look forward to any input you will have on it....  ;)

I think this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish and will add something to the game for sure ;D

Kaliyuga :cheers:

Teryan

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2003, 16:17:29 »
I think it sounds really cool to have targets with bullet holes it them.  If you do one, post it.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2003, 21:38:01 »
  I worked on this for a few hours before going to sleep this morning...

and I have two prototype models in the works right now... they both look pretty sweet
but I had another strange idea on how to accomplish this just a while ago..

and possibly how to apply this concept to the targets that are already in-game ;)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2003, 00:39:50 »
Hello,

that sounds totally great.  :gunman: I am really looking forward to this.

Greetings
Kuro

Kaliyuga

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2003, 00:04:58 »
 O.K.  

Maybe a little input from you guys... lol

what i've got so far.. is basically a man, shaped target with a rather large circular hole in his chest

and a bullseye style target with a large circle punched out of the middle...

those are individual objects and my thought then was to fill the holes with alot of smaller, individual objects, thus allowing you to shoot them away and be able to see through the target then where you shot....

now the thing I can't quite get my head around.. is what shape of object I should use to fill the targets with....    

Ideally one or two shapes that could be arranged in a fashion so they don't overlap , but don't look too horrible as "bullet holes"  

A grid would be ideal.. but then you would be shooting out blocks from the target...   whereas a circle would give the best appearance of a bullet hole.. but would be virtually impossible to no have overlap.....

any ideas... sketches? blueprints?  lol

:cheers:

Teryan

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2003, 00:10:13 »
Uses Hexes (stop signs err... 6 sides).  Like is Turne Based Stragety Games.  They look like a circle (almost) but they dont have the empty gaps like circles (even if you do overlap).  It would/should look like your shooting out circles if you are a distance away from it.

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2003, 01:10:52 »
Hallo,

first in must saw i am really, really looking forward for this AddOn (why my hand are shaking ?  :D )
The idea with hexes is genius: Simple and Perfect.

Greetings
Kuro

asmodeus

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2003, 02:05:09 »
Yes, that hexagon idea is a good one Teryan!

:thumbsup:

Kali was showing me what he's done so far for this and it's cool!

Asmo

Teryan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2003, 02:40:38 »
The idea with hexes is genius: Simple and Perfect.

Code: [Select]
Yes, that hexagon idea is a good one Teryan!

Thanks guys.

Thow there is a small problem:  If you do go with the hex there is gonig to be a little overlap with the edges of a circle (if you go with that for the center shoot out part).  Thow it would be less than a circle and more than a square.

Teryan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2003, 15:50:19 »
After sleeping over it, I have a few idea to fix the hext overlap thing.  To make it more like a circle:  Make it really small, then have trinangles where needed (mostley on the sides of top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left) and four point connecting the half assed square you would have on the top and bottom.

Can we see a preview pic?
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2003, 15:51:52 by Teryan »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2003, 20:40:22 »
I'll post some pics sometime in the next day for everyone to see....

Kaliyuga

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2003, 21:00:32 »
OK here's a pic I snapped off... Ive been spending some time trying to figure out the best way to go about everything.....

will probably go with a cylinder/hex shape as suggested....

I have a target like this.. textured and with a large center portion that can be shot out already.. its just making all the objects and positioning them... etc....

making sure there are no overlaps at all...

Teryan

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2003, 00:47:17 »
Humm,

That has some spaces inbetween them.  If you go with the Hexagons there would be none.  And if you make them smaller than they are now (about 3/4 the size) they would look close enought to bullet holes.
check out the pic I attached.

Those are just my thoguhts.  go ahead and do what you want.  With your permission i would just modify it for my self.

Nice job thow. :D
Happy to get this.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2003, 06:57:31 »
 yeah.. this is by no means the final version..

I was just using it to test the fire geometry on the smaller objects ...

they will be alot smaller.. and as you suggest.. a different shape as well...  

I'm glad for the input..... as I don't want anyone to have to modify it at all once completed ;)

Kaliyuga

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2003, 20:05:04 »
 I'm still working on it guys... (and a million other things) ;)

just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten by any means....

Just going to take tons of objects to be made .. then compiled into a group... unless there is an easier way to do this that I'm not thinking of ....

Teryan

« Reply #16 on: 07 Apr 2003, 04:11:56 »
Any idea when this might be done?

I'm getting a little finger itchy... ;D

Teryan

« Reply #17 on: 08 Aug 2003, 21:34:52 »
Any progress reports on this?  It's been a long time, and i dont think i ever saw a release or anything else on it.

Teryan

« Reply #18 on: 09 Aug 2003, 06:42:18 »
I got this in my PM, so is anyone good at math?

I have it...and while not technically possible to accomplish it would require alot better math than I have I think..

the thing is that  any .p3d has a single armor value for the entire thing no matter how many parts there are.. that's why you can't damage only certain limbs/parts of buildings etc...  but when the total armor value is met the entire thing destroys..

so my initial thought to make a target with the center hollowed out and then add all the parts was a little off.....  

what it would require would be a single , hollowed out target that had a real high armor value (which i have by the way)  and then another, single small piece with low armor value that would represent a single piece of target to get punched out.

then you would need to figure out some complicated setpos or camcreate math for every single piece to stack them into position when the mission started...

So.....  The math part is what's got me.... and once Asmodeus, LCD and I started making OFP's first fully functional submarine  

everything else besides my island fell to the side for now..

we expect to be finished with the submarine in the next two weeks or so , and then will be looking at what's next on our projects list...

i know we have a helicopter project upcoming , but I'll mention the target idea to LCD when he gets back from Cuba in about three weeks or so ...

unless you know someone who can figure out the problem.. or want to tackle it yourself ...

I know it's possible..  just a pain in the  

kinda like the submarine come to think of it.. lol  

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 03 Oct 2003, 04:07:01 »
Hy,

i can do the Math. I had several semesters Math during my time in University, that should do the job.

Greetings
Kuro

Kaliyuga

« Reply #20 on: 05 Oct 2003, 03:33:59 »
 I'll see what I can do to revive this project as well...

It's just going to be horribly complicated I feel..  :-\