Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Soldier classes in MP  (Read 678 times)

mcnils

Soldier classes in MP
« on: 03 Nov 2002, 20:39:38 »

This is only another idea "torturing" me, that i cant realize because i su*k at scripting..
...Like many, many other ideas before :-\
So i post it here, maybe someone tougher than me can do this,
if he think its worth.

Ok now lets get to the thing;

In normal OFP multyplayer there you can choose freely between the weapons you want to carry, you simply choose them from the ammo crate.. a soldier with a G36, some hand grenades and a LAW with 2 rockets is something normal to see around on the MP servers.. Well its nice that you can choose your weapons but i think this is taking away some tactical deept to OFP.. Much more interesting would be to choose classes before the game starts or when you respawn.

The idea is that a dead soldier once respawned has removed his standard M16, and has a "popup" menu (this is possible now with resistance) wich asks him what a soldier class he wants to choose..

Once the players chooses a class, he becomes added all the weapons and equipment of this specific class and only of this one.. so if for example a soldier chooses the "LAW soldier" class (only for example), he will recieve added in his inventory 1 LAW launcher, 5 rockets and a handgun..

In the mission there wouldnt be ammo crates with weapons inside, only ammo.
Dead players will hawe theyr stuff removed so no equipment recovery.
In this way players need to cooperate more and use more tactical "finesse"...

For attacking a base one man will not be sufficent,
there will be needed a whole team to acieve all the tasks..

Now a few examples to show what i mean with "classes"

Assault soldier
- M16 + 4 magazines + hand grenades (rest of inventory)

Grenadier soldier
- M16/M203 + 2 magazines + grenades (rest of inventory) + binocular

Support soldier
- same as Grenadier but with M16 + mortar shells

Light AT soldier
- LAW + Ingram + rockets (rest of inventory) + binocular

Heavy AT soldier
- CarlGustav + XMS + CarlGustav rocket + XMS magazines (rest of inventory) + binocular

Engineer soldier
- 2 Satchels + S&WColt + Mines (rest of inventory) + binocular

Medic soldier
- XMS (optics) + magazines (rest of inventory)

Officer soldier
- G36 + 2 magazines + 1 hand grenade + beretta + SmokeShells/Flares (rest of inventory) + binocular + NVgoggles

Sniper soldier
- M21 + 4 magazines + binocular + NVgoggles

Commando soldier
- MP5s + 4 magazines + 1 hand grenade + SmokeShells/Flares (rest of inventory) + binocular + NVgoggles

.......AND SO ON  ;D ;D ;D
i think this would be very cool in multy play..
it would add more dept to gameplay..
and with some add action triks it would also be possible to make an engineer repair stuff or
an officer call in a (very small) arty strike, or a medic can serve as "mobile respawn zone"..

Well there are still much ideas inside my mind that i cant realize :( :(

lol  ::)
hope i hawent bored you with this...
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2002, 21:48:45 by mcnils »

Nyles

Re:Soldier classes in MP
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2002, 03:51:31 »
I have been thinking of something like this for quiet a while. I have the plan of a multiplayer mode that would put each player in command of his own squad. When he dies, he will shift to another position within his squad until his whole squad is wiped out. At this point, you would normally be placed in bird-mode. However, I would like to have it that way so a menue opens and you can choose from a range of realistic squads (all custom equiped and with attached vehicles from a pre-defined list). When chosen you respawn back at the respawn area with you being in command (#1) of the chosen squad.

I think as this is similar to the initial script asked in here, maybe someone could help a hand in creating?

Nasty Buttler

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2003, 06:18:31 »
Yes, I am working on a TFC type of menu system.....ie when you die you can choose what class you will return as, the models will be static (ie you cant LOOK like a sniper when you pick one, or a medic or officer for that matter) but the weapons loadout will be a standard one for all to choose from, there will still be ammo crates around for people to change there loadouts and also im thinking of putting in an empty loadout just so people can pick all there stuff themselves

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2003, 22:43:40 »
I like the way you're thinking mcnils.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Baphomet

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2003, 03:45:59 »
That sounds good. Only thing a teamplay game like that needs is some multi-objective goals and dynamic spawns to follow the action as it progresses. IGI-2 has a good idea there. OFP'ers shouldn't overlook it.  :P