Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Weird description.ext error.  (Read 1219 times)

Baphomet

Weird description.ext error.
« on: 21 Feb 2003, 02:23:14 »
Is my computer messed? To make an area based respawn for multiplayer I recall having to place down a marker called "Respawn_west" and putting respawn=base in the decription.ext file. I'm getting some weird error when I load up my map saying:

[Missionpath] description.ext.respawn: encountered 'ÿ' instead of ';'

Is this messed up? I've never had this problem before. The only thing in my description.ext is: respawn=base

CrashnBurn

Re:Weird description.ext error.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 05:06:59 »
that sounds like maybe it should be in your init.sqs instead of description.ext

Pope_Zog

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 09:41:29 »
Your "description.ext" may be saved encoded in unicode format. That'll result in the file having two "strange" characters at the beginning. My suggestions are:

1) Don't use WordPad - use Notepad.
2) Save the file with ANSI encoding.
3) In Notepad you can select type "All files" when saving the file. It'll then accept the extension you give it without adding ".txt". (This applies to Win2000... can't speak for other versions.)

Pope Zog

Fiendish

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 19:10:03 »
I had the same problem when I did it the first time.
Put ; after every row and it should work.

Baphomet

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2003, 19:34:35 »
Well I do all my editing with notepad. I copied that desc.ext from this deathmatch tutorial I downloaded from here a few moons ago. I even wrote my own desc.ext with notepad and it did the same bloody thing.

... so I finally took a description.ext from an old deathmatch scenario I made on versus isle and stuck it in place of the offending one. No problem... weird. That's all I can say. Because the one I replaced and the one I replaced it with were exactly the same... at least as far as I could see.

Anyhow, my mission has respawn now, thankfully. Thanks for your help guys.