Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: RAH 66 COMANCHE IS OUT  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re:RAH 66 COMANCHE IS OUT
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2003, 19:58:32 »
Shut up!  ::)

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2003, 06:40:38 »
Use The Raidar Jammer there Tomb!  ;)
I'm wondering if an AH64 Might be able to do that sort of thing? if it would be "Realilstic"  ;D

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2003, 08:06:10 »
Well actually, yes. That cylindrical multi-faceted glass thing ( this is sometimes called a "disco-ball". ) behind the main rotor, and between the engines is an IR jammer. As I understand it, it actually produces a heat signature greater than that of the engines, but projects that heat signature away from the helo's fuselage.
All US combat aircraft have some basic ability to deflect or otherwise defeat anti-aircraft weapons and sysytems, to some degree. Infact, we devote an entire category of specialized aircraft that perform countermeasures of varying types as their main mission purpose. Some of these utilize the most advanced and effective countermeasures of their kind in the world. Of course, I suppose you could include low-observable "stealth" technologies in this category, as well.
Other types of electronic counter-measures include IR seductive flares, radar-seductive chaff ( which is basically multi-length fine-cut pieces of mylar filament. ) and air-launched gliding decoys. ( These are like small Remote Controlled aircraft, that electronically transmit a HUGE radar signal, making the enemy think the decoy is an actual aircraft. )
The next generation countermeasures for combat aircraft will include a system that can detect the exhaust signature of an incoming missile, and then fire a turretted laser at the threat to destroy it's delicate electronics and/or seeker systems, blinding it, and rendering it useless. Elements of such a system were successfully tested during the NATO air-campaign over Kosovo.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2003, 20:32:09 »
Well......hmmmmm.........my pilot IS behind the gunner.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2003, 22:54:34 »
LOL, planck!!!!!!!!!!  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

this reminds me of the time when I had locked myself out  >:( ::)
...standing on a rooftop during winter in Denmark is NOT recommended  :P ;D

PS. did anyone notice that you can actually get the AI to pull up the gear/ open baydoors?!  :o 8)
great scrolls inside that bird for sure.... ok, they don't work everytime but what can we expect!  :)

========================================

:o Oh, and @ PUNKER :

Use The Radar Jammer there Tomb!  

::) neah help in my case, ol' chap!  ;D (see attached pic.)

(not "flying" the ah66 in the pic. - its an LB -  but I guess it says it all about my pilot skills)  ::)

*wonders if he should start doing drugs to be able to FLY!!!!!!!!!!*

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2003, 00:32:36 by Tomb »

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2003, 04:58:31 »
(not "flying" the ah66 in the pic. - its an LB -  but I guess it says it all about my pilot skills)  ::)

*wonders if he should start doing drugs to be able to FLY!!!!!!!!!!*

LMAO! Been there!   ;D

Cpt. FrostBite

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2003, 09:56:11 »
hey, FARRET FANGS,

Don't you get tired of all those guy's posting spam and other shitty stuff, while some people (like you and me) are trying to give some serious feedback?
Thanks for the info on counter-measures. the new type was unknown to me. Are there any specialized helicopters to perform counter-measures?? I only know of the planes (prowlers and wild-weasels)

to other people, a technical note:
the Comanche doesn't have the "cylindrical multi-faceted glass thing" , because it's IR signature is reduced by the design of the bird. It's exhaust-fumes are cooled down with air and they come out through a fissure (I'm not sure if this is the right word, forgive me my english) on both sides of the tail. this makes the glass this not needed.
Counter-measures are only used by helicopters when detected. They try to stay hidden as long as possible. As long as nobody knows you're arround, you don't want to let them know by creating a huge signature by turning your counter-measures on.