Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: RAH 66 COMANCHE IS OUT  (Read 4339 times)

captain caffeine

RAH 66 COMANCHE IS OUT
« on: 21 Jan 2003, 05:31:48 »
JUST AS STATED ITS OUT at  DKM check it out looks quite nifty

DecisiveKillingMachines

http://www.dkm-mod.mkdi.net/

Offline Nixer6

• Members
Re:RAH 66 COMANCHE IS OUT
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2003, 14:59:39 »
If this one doesn't set a new standard for vehicular addons, I just don't know what does.

Kinda Quiet, though ;D
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2003, 20:29:28 »
well, its not all good - yet again DKM have let themselves down witha  few things (sorry if this sounds harsh)

(-)

Model, not bad, needs work

Textures - as per usual really not up to scratch

(+)

great chopper

great weapons

great animations

great computer system

great warning system

great bay doors + ffar's are revealed

love the little chopper diagram in the HUD which shows chopper status

love the chopper icon for gunner showing weapon ammo.

thing is, if BAS add all the lovely lovely extras DKM did, then BAS will have a better chopper since i know their modles and textures are much better.

Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Vyper

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2003, 21:48:21 »
I like it, couple of bugs like you can see part of the gun from the gunners chair (through the HUD) but theres some real nice stuff in there.....love the IR/Radar scanner jammer, very nice

Vyper

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2003, 22:15:13 »
lol, brown-noseing will get you everywhere messy :D  :-*

indeed, we may have pulled summat off like this, but this one gets 15/10 anyho...

NAFFIN GREAT ADDON DKM BOYS, well done lads, go have a pint  ;D

But don't take too long over it  :P

Only problems are as Messiah has said, dodgy bits here and there, and wtf is up with the USMC logos?? This is definately an Army helo, all the way...
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2003, 22:17:36 by DeadMeatXM2 »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2003, 22:31:06 »
I'm not really too fond of all this almost-competition stuff re. the various addonsMaker teams.  :P
I think more of it as a community thing - gamers making addons for their fella gamers (and for themselves obviously).

Granted, SOME competition can be healthy in the way that you get pushed to do yer best and a little more, but if it slides to rock star attitudes the whole idea blows up and we just sit around in our trenches  ::) getting nowhere!

bis, bas, bus  ;D as long as the joy of gaming & sharing ideas etc is the top priority then things are cool  8)

*chew on it, all - you know I'm right here!*

About the rah-66, well it rocks! sure does... dunno much about the real world camo for this particular
bird so I can't really say much to that. The black is pretty cool, though, and the brownish scheme is ok for OFP desert maps. I'd like a green version but maybe that doesn't exist in RW  ??? (which is no argument for not giving us an "ofp only" version in green camo).  :)

Too many of these birds in the air cause lag on my sorry-ass comp (700 mHz, GeForce-3 128 megs, 400 MB ram).
but thats ok, a few rah's per mission will do for me! (I better not add the dust effect  :P ;D )

This must be the ultimate multi player chopper I figure  :D at least it seems best used in MP rather than by
the AI in a single mission.

Looking forward to see what 2003 will bring re. addons! I surely don't regret that I chose to
stick around this long; it's almost as if the game is coming to life with ofp_1.90+  8)

Great work, boys!  :-* keep it up

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2003, 23:06:33 »
also - East AA dont fire at it....

Deadmeat - rolfmao - well, it wasnt brownnosing, just the fact that comparing textures and models i know who my money's on.  ;D

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2003, 00:40:19 »
A little competition between teams is a good thing for us end-users. Too much of it would be, well, bad. It would be great to see the big teams like BAS and DKM collaborate on a project like this, but I just can't see it happening through the dense fog of EGO's, no offense guys...

Anyway, about the bird... It's ( At the moment... ) the best aircraft available for download. And that's saying something, as I have seen some fantastic aircraft for OFP lately.
In short, my only ( perhaps undeserved ) gripes are the textures. Not so much the paint scheme, which is currently hypothetical in real life anyway. As far as I know, everything I've seen so far regading the Commanche's coloration shows the prototype(s) in typical Army OD. As this is a "stealth" aircraft, and would be considered to be a special mission/force multiplier aircraft, it may be given the carbon-based non-reflective black seen on USAF low-observable aircraft. Like I said before it's all hypothetical at the moment. One thing is for certain though, the Commanche will be expected to perform missions during daylight as well as night, so we may see something painted similar to DKM's chopper flying around the real battlefields.

Back to the textures... theres definately something missing somehow. For instance there are very few or no: seams, vents, panels, scratches, weathering, serial numbers or anything else to make it look really... real.

The only other thing I ever have a problem with DKM's mods, aside from the textures, are the sound effects. Come on now, surely other people noticed the gunfire sound effect? It sounds like some kind of MIDI-produced combination of a weed whacker on steroids and a giant bumble bee singing in D-minor! Now, I know that three-thousand rounds per minute of 20mm cannon fire should and does, BUZZ... but there are other sounds mixed with it. Like the whine of the electric motor, and the faint metallic clink of the brass moving in the system and being ejected. I suppose what I would have expected was at least a copied .WAV file of a minigun used instead, there are dozens of high definition .WAV's available online.

The loadouts are also somewhat innaccurate, as well. The Commanche is only supposed to carry five hundred rounds. The Scout variant could be loaded with one AGM-114K, a two-tube Stinger launcher, and a four-tube rocket launcher, in each bay. Or, alternatively, any combination of these, as they each would take up one hardpoint in each bay. Finally, If I'm not mistaken, the gunner sits in the front of the helo, as they do in most other combat helocopters.
One last issue, the gun on the scout Commanche can be slaved to a laser-designator, but how this is used in-game isn't really explained.

All of these GLARING ( not! ) errors aside, this is an absolutely fantastic mod and an absolute MUST HAVE addon!

BTW: Brsseb (sp) is also releasing a great looking RAH-66, with many of the same advanced features, if not many more... and BAS is also supposed to be releasing one of their own... are these the same models? I thought they were seperate mods?

The_Dude

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:04:17 »
If you look on fas.com there are pictures of the commanche with Marine corps insignia exactly where the DKM mod placed them....

As to whether it is a marine chopper, I have no idea, I thought it was army myself...
Oh well, great chopper, I love how missiles cannot fire on the scout chopper with its bay doors closed, and how shilka's can only fire on them by visuals, no radar detecting

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:25:46 »
I liked the USMC insignia... It was a nice and unexpected surprise. It IS supposed to be an Army chopper, at least at first. It's not completely unrealistic to think of the Commanche replacing the USMC Super Cobra, in some roles, sometime in near future. It would also enhance their capabilities by providing a reconnaisance/scout helo, as well as a manned stealthy striker in a kind of a two for one deal.
I'd like to add FAS also has a pic of the Commanche in a hypothetical paint scheme of green with black stripes, launching a Hellfire.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2003, 03:44:10 by Ferret Fangs »

Cpt. FrostBite

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2003, 16:00:06 »
in reply to tomb;

the chopper isn't used by the US but it will be in the future. The most likely real-world camo would be plain OD-Green (As the apache). the camo scheme on the DKM model is a scheme used on a (very early) prototype (yes, it's a desert scheme)

In reply to ferret fangs;
the "Skin" of the heli has been designed to absorb or deflact radar. Therefore it looks smooth and has no "seams, vents and panels". And scrathes???? have you noticed the USMC seal on the side; the Marines keep their choppers in a perfect condition at all time, so they're not supposed to have scratches.  this seal is unrealistic though. "MARINES" should be written on the tail.

about the loadout Ferret Fangs is right. there are three hardpoint in each bay. the attack variant carries 14 hellfires (three in each bay and 4 on each wing). On the air attack variant each hardpoint carries 2 stingers. this uses the same stinger launch-tubes as can be found on the updated apaches.

The model used by DKM is an early version prototype. the nose, rotorhead and tail have been changed. the cockpit is also to large, the real-world is much shorter.
take a look at the boeing site for pics :

www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/rah66/rah66media.htm
www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/rah66/images/RAH66_web_shot_3.htm

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:04:44 »
Yeah, I agree with the Previous, the only down side is the Textures, I'd just Change the Tail to Say MARINES instead of UNITED STATES ARMY and release another with Army Skins, but that's just Me  ;) Good work 4 1/2 out of 5  ;D very nice

Outtis^

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2003, 20:51:52 »
I really love flying the Comanche around nogova... blowing up ZSUÂ's that try pathetically to shoot you down.. Great job DKM mod. :)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2003, 19:48:08 »
I really love flying the Comanche around nogova... blowing up ZSUÂ's that try pathetically to shoot you down.. Great job DKM mod. :)

===============================

::) they do get me, them shilka's ( :beat: )  ;D but thats my own fault. lol
a good thing Tomb's not a real-world chopper pilot.  :P ::)

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2003, 19:53:00 »
aaaah the irony - hes called Tomb and he constantly gets shot down  ::)