Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: IRA vs British Army and Security forces addons  (Read 8112 times)

Rhino

Re:IRA vs British Army and Security forces addons
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:07:41 »
OFP is a conflict simulation.  The simulation disregards all politics and just "recreates" the conflict. There is nothing funny nor glamorous about real war nor real death nor real terrorism, nor real invasion.

Northern Ireland has a conflict. Why not simulate it. it's uniqu and would make for an interesting game. Much of OFP simulates many things that happen in NI everyday.  

I've seen people create missions with executions, unarmed civilians getting killed, and you know darn well most of us "execute" wounded soldiers IN THE GAME.  So how about we leave politics, religion, morality out of this forum and try and remember, it's just a game and not a statement.

While you're at it...how about making a "Rodney King Riot" add on pack?  Game over if the 4 cops get killed before the city erupts in a billion dollar riot.

;)

Do I hate cops? nope. Was I there? yes. Did I pull weapons on a few civilians myself. Yes. Did I shoot anyone? Nope. But in a OFP world. the National Guard, Marine Corps and 82nd Airborne would be killing half of LA.

not that that would be  a bad thing............    ;)

Peace, love and understanding......

Rhino

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2003, 16:59:18 »
I think Noel_From_Ireland ideas are good, and deserve to be heard like everyone elses. This is after all the addon IDEAS section

What I like about OFP, is the fact that you can add whatever you like to the game.
If someone wants to make any of the addons Noel_From_Ireland suggested, then I'm not going to make a fuss. (in fact I'll download them too if the are any good)

If you don't like the addons, don't download them!

Some more addon suggestions :

14th Intelligence Squadron operatives + Q cars (west)
Gazelle choppers for surveilance
Some descent police addons
SAS snatch teams
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2003, 17:01:38 by Lt_Phoenix »
In memory of Police Chief Inspector Arne Sigve Klungland 1950 - 2004
Killed in the line of duty 5. April 2004

Check out the new Norwegian Forces Studio's temporary site at: http://marsuitor.tripod.com/mmb/

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2003, 18:05:32 »
the gazelle is being made as we speak  :)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Gravedigga

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2003, 19:11:47 »
I'm sorry - I probably didn't explain myself properly.....I don't mind the idea, and I have no desire to dent anyone's pride....I simply felt that the way the conflict was being described could have been done with slightly more tactful language.....

Noel_From_Ireland

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2003, 00:09:41 »
I would just like to say that in no way, am I bigoted or sectarian, and I wish for you lot to understand that.

Gazzells + lynx choppers are todays most popular choppers in the Northern Irish skys. Previously it was the westland wessexs but  it was replaced probably because of old age and I havent saw them in a few years (that verifies to me they are no longer used), nevertheless, a good chopper in its day, very practicle and had the ability to hold a squad of men.
 It would be great if somebody took into consideration making this chopper at some point.

I think somebody had mentioned earlier that armilites (etc) were a bit overboard and that it would be more like handguns?

Shipments of AR-15 armilites where shipped from america curtesy of Irish sympathizers working as caterers on some swanky cruiser (docked in UK) guns where then transported to Belfast. That operation was masterminded by the Belfast Brigade of the IRA a very very long time ago. So yes, armilites where indeed in use, and most of them had stamped on them "property of the United States Army"

Other sophisticated weaponary such as RPGs had apparantly been bought from libyia. The IRA attempted to buy SAM's from America but were caught in an FBI sting, however, its been said before that there is a rather large possibility that the IRA got SAM's from Libyia, its also debatable wether or not that these are operational.

Morters were used often (attack on 10 downing street as an example) the morters where homemade and the ammo packed with gelagonite (i think)

^^^^^^ all the above was going on during the war and not after ^^^^^

it was only in the very early stages of the PIRA that only very basic weapons where in use, such as shotguns, 22 Rifles, Pistols, and a selection of very poor machine guns.

Am I some kind of IRA man? of course not

This was all learned from a 6 chapter documetary called "The IRA and Sinn Fein" its a very good documentary and is accompanied with other documentarys about the other armies in that war. I recommend watching it, contact the BBC and they can sell it I think.

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2003, 13:21:35 »
Nice to see that thing are calming down a bit  :)

I believe 2 of the Falklands Mods ( http://www.flashpoint1982.co.uk/ & http://malvinas.cazadoresdemonte.com.ar/ ) are making some british choppers like Lynx, Sea King, Wessex, Gazelle and Puma. They won't be ready for a while though.

More addon ideas :

Civilian emergency services (police, ambulance and fire)
Civilian boats (for arms smugling)
Hostile civilians (added to East side and sometimes armed, to make patrols through unfriendly areas a bit more exiting)
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2003, 13:28:01 by Lt_Phoenix »

Check out the new Norwegian Forces Studio's temporary site at: http://marsuitor.tripod.com/mmb/

Offline vade_101

• Members
  • oh hell......
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2003, 13:30:35 »
if people are interested in reading about the conflict in NI I would also reccomend Peter Taylors series of books (Provos, Loyalists and Brits) as they contain a wealth of information on the troubles. And for a book on what is IMO, the most "suitable" area for flashpoint mod i'd recommend "Bandit Country: The IRA and South Armagh" by Toby Harnden.

Phantom

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2003, 16:36:44 »
just so you know, the SAS had a minimal job in intel gathering. a lot of the men in the SAS and SBS were put into 13th Intel. They were trained up, sent in, developed code's, followed the baddie's, lot's of interesting stuff. Then they passed the info on to base where it was decided if action should be made. Then usually the SAS or SBS were sent in to ambush someone. This is not to say that it was only 13th Intel that did this work, but they did the majority. Read a book called First Into Action by Duncan Falconer to find out lot's on interesting stuff about it. It say's it's about his life in the SBS, more of his time in the 13th Intel.

aurek

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2003, 13:05:35 »
the police were renamed recently from the Ulster Constabulary, to the NI Police

umm, what are they called now? this one is really hacking at me.

They're called the police service of Nothern Ireland. ( donno how its abbreviated) And the RUC was not just renamed it was dissolved. As the RUC, or Royal Ulster Constabulary. Was set up by England, as an English police force, policing an English territory. Thus obviously the republicans hated them. Eventually they decided that if the police was to be able to ever do its job without constantly being hated and attacked by republicans or they're supporters. Thus they were (recently) dissolved and the police service of northern Ireland was formed. A service that could be accepted by both sides and thus get on with policing.

As a side note the IRA did have a large number of heavy weapons including:
Assault rifles of various types, Hk-psg's, Laws, Rpg's, M249 light machineguns and proper infantry mortars. Though none were ever used and most are being decommissioned now.  

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2003, 23:12:32 »
yeah, i know the stuff behind the change - ive followed it very closey - just the name was slipping me...

and yeah, kinda of a truce police force - although its still a UK territory and the police are still UK police - as in they are the police of NI, which is the UK - although, until the recent stalmont problems (IRA spies etc - sinn fein thrown out, paddy ashdown thrown out etc) the police were that governments police (as the met police is the UK governments police) but still, it is all run by the same people  ::)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Skaven

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2003, 10:29:58 »
Guys, addons relating stuff, not political please  ;)

Noel_From_Ireland

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2003, 18:07:18 »

As a side note the IRA did have a large number of heavy weapons including:
Assault rifles of various types, Hk-psg's, Laws, Rpg's, M249 light machineguns and proper infantry mortars. Though none were ever used and most are being decommissioned now.  

Rpgs where used, this is why theres a place in Belfast called RPG avenue when a British "Pig" got wiped out there, and yes there is actually a street sign lol Good idea for a level

Heavy machine guns where also in action, one in particular being that occasion when the IRA clamped a massive H-machine gun on the back of a pickup truck, then straffed a barracks with it (causing massive structural damage to the walls) but were then ambushed by the SAS at a bridge when they where dissasembling the big gun good idea for a level I cant remember the name of the Bridge, the 3 IRA men where killed.

Morters where also in use, but homemade, an example being the attack on 10 downing street (3 morters - 3 misses - 1 in the backgarden) although ya couldnt make that into a level unless of course somebody releases a nice city map (hint hint)

So to put ya straight, they were used, but they didnt make the news as much as some of the "IRA Spectaculars"

:) truth is, I dont reckon folks living outside the Island of Ireland hear the magority of occurances during the conflict, only the spectaculars,

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2003, 18:09:06 by Noel_From_Ireland »

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2003, 18:32:49 »
Rpgs where used, this is why theres a place in Belfast called RPG avenue when a British "Pig" got wiped out there, and yes there is actually a street sign lol Good idea for a level
British "Pig" (or armoured pig) = Armoured car
Just in case somebody took it the wrong way and got offended.

Is 13th intel and 14 intel squadron the same, just different numbers?

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2003, 13:40:39 »
OK here's a list of addon requests for an N.I. simulation

14th intell company operatives (civilians added to west, with green security forces armband and armed with mp5's + Browning High power handguns)

PIRA (civilians added to east, with balaclavas and a wide range of weapons)

Armed police

Armourd cars and Landrovers

Some decent brit choppers

Emergency services (Fire, Police and Ambulance)

Anything left out?

sgt-franko

« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2003, 07:26:30 »
this is obviously an old thread, but did anyone actually get around to working on an addon for "IRA" like units?
If so id like to know as i have a campaign in mind for such a unit.
PLEASE NO POLITICS..
Ive read the earlier posts in January am would like some constructive thoughts on the addon idea
I already know about "the troubles".

sgt-franko