Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New animation editor out!  (Read 7710 times)

SFG

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
Re:New animation editor out!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2002, 15:43:27 »
its all kool and i already got it - but im having 2 probs wid it

1) da readme is in german  :o - cant use it - wen i tried transelating it (using web transaltor - tanks gameer 4 dat) i discovered its only regular readme - not somthin i (some hwo dont now how 2 make anims) can use 2 start creating anims and not all da words were transelating

2) dere r no good TUTs 4 how 2 start animating wid it - plz report ny resources like dat fast ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

SFG

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2002, 17:31:27 »
If someone explains to me how to use it i'll make a tutorial ;)

Chomps

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2002, 18:01:20 »
According to the newspost on OFPEC, they say they are working on a tuturial for it.

SFG

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2002, 20:00:19 »
Yeah, i'm inpatient ;)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2002, 21:57:10 »
we r all impatient ;D

If someone explains to me how to use it i'll make a tutorial

If someone explains to me how to use it i'll make new anims  ::)  :P

waiting 2 c da TUT

LCD OUt

major asshole

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2002, 03:16:31 »
G'day

I've managed to make an English translation table listing items in the component tree. It is undoubtedly imperfect so don't freak if it ain't quite right but it should be a bit of a help. Add this file to your OFPAnim\Translation dir and then just select SETTINGS then SELECT TRANSLATION FILE.

hope this helps some

L8R
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2002, 08:07:00 by major asshole »

Chomps

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2002, 03:28:35 »
Hey, I think I am getting the hang of it.

This is what I know so far...

To get started:
Load .p3d --> load the p3d file in the "Daten" directory where OFPAnim is installed.  It is just the demo soldier.  I do not think it matters what p3d you load, as long as it is a man and so it has the pivot points.
Load .rtm --> load an rtm file to get started, your best bet is to fool around with an extracted anim.pbo from the demo (may even work with the full version, have not checked).

You should see the guy standing or sitting, or whatever animation you have selected.  Basically the model has predefined pivot points, I would not suggest editing those, I have no idea what kind of effect that would have.

What I did was load the cargo.rtm (the animation of the guy sitting in a vehicle, holding his gun) and delete most of the frames, so I only had two or three to work with.

This may be pretty obvious, but....
Each frame just represents a definite position, the number next to the frame indicates how much time should elapse between the frames.  In this time between frames, the program animates the object in the best manner it sees fit, so if I want the guy to jump up and come back down, if I define two frames, one when he is about to jump, one when he just landed, the program will not know that he jumped.  If instead I have three frames, one where he is about to jump, one where he is at the top of the jump, and one when he just hit the ground, it would work (but probably would not look too good).

Anyway, the components list lists the "joints" of the person.  It aranged in a heirarchy because it just makes sense anatomically.  It would go something like shoulder > elbow > wrist, simply because your wrist relies on your elbow, which relies on your shoulder.... Can you move your shoulder without changing the location of your wrist?

You can easily familiarize yourself with where the joints are by clicking each word and seeing the little yellow spot on the guy's body, which corresponds to a skeletal joint in real life, in most cases.

Now, select the second frame (out of three, if you deleted all but three) and edit it.  Select a joint like the shoulder.  The X, Y, and Z sliders control the rate at which the joint will rotate in that dimension (note: this rate has nothing to do with the rate of motion of the animation itself, just the rate at which you, the editor, is repositioning the joint)  Basically, move the slider a little to one side and hold it, the joint will rotate very slowly, move it to the opposite direction to the max, the rotation will change directions and go quickly.

After you reposition the arm by rotating at the shoulder, save the frame and play the animation.

Play around with it, it rocks!

PiNs_Da_Smoka

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2002, 05:31:58 »
Well, the tool is good. Its not the greatest, but it will definatlely work. Chomps just basically gave all the information you need to know. I'm sure someone will make a tutorial a little more detailed and whatnot, maybe i would if i had more time. I see some good coming of this. For the beginners, just keep trying, its not that difficult. If you can rotate something on an axis, you can use Forward Kinematics, which is the type of animation it uses. Have fun people, i know i am!  ;D

SFG

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2002, 06:37:55 »
Offtopic i know, but pins i couldnt help noticing your obsesion with chicken in your personal text and signature.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2002, 18:08:32 »
it kool  ;D

just ny1 knows how 2 import anoder model so i can c how it sits in ? like i wanna make new anim 4 soldier caring weapon (not exactlyweapon ;D) but i wanna c how da weaponwil b in his hand - can i put 2 p3ds in da same anim ?

LCD OUT

Chomps

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2002, 18:27:52 »
just ny1 knows how 2 import anoder model so i can c how it sits in ? like i wanna make new anim 4 soldier caring weapon (not exactlyweapon ;D) but i wanna c how da weaponwil b in his hand - can i put 2 p3ds in da same anim ?

Yeah, it is difficult to see how your guy is going to be holding a rifle when all you get is that large proxy triangle.  I do not think you would be able to load two .p3d's at the same time into OFPanim, however, maybe you would be able to edit a .p3d in O2 and replace the rifle proxy with an actual rifle model.  I am not sure about this, you may want to ask one of the O2 gurus if this is possible.  I am going to try it out, and see if it can work.  If it does, then all you need is a special anim-making .p3d of a soldier with weapon models instead of proxies.

Chomps

« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2002, 18:56:41 »
Okay, it does work, this is what someone needs to do...

1) Load up a demo soldier model.
2) (optional) Remove excess objects on the first LOD (flashlights, flag sprites, etc)
3) Merge in a demo rifle model, remove the muzzle flash sprite.
4) Move and rotate rifle model to exactly the position and orientation of where you see the rifle model in Buldozer (if you have the proxy models in the correct directory).  Example:  The rifle model should be behind the right shoulder with the magazine facing away from the soldier, and the entire thing should be at an awkward angle.  You have to get this position exact for best results, so keep an eye on buldozer.  You can match up the proxy model that appears in Buldozer with the actual rifle model that you merged in.
5) Delete the proxy triangle for the rifle.
6) Redefine the rifle proxy component to the rifle model.
7) Repeat steps 3-6 for a demo RPG-launcher model.
8) Save p3d and test in OFPAnim by loading up your p3d, then a bunch of in-game rtms to make sure the alignment is perfect.
9) Distribute your animation-making p3d.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2002, 21:58:11 »
i played wid it lil  ;D

got som lil kick anim  :o  ;D

but how 2 put it in OFP ? how 2 make .cpp ?  ;D

LCD OUT

Chomps

« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2002, 22:28:36 »
Nice kick animation there.

To find out how to make the .cpp, I extracted the pbo of that custom animation demo (the one with the guy sitting in the jeep and the break-dancer).  Well, it has some parts to it, looks fairly complex for the cargo animation, but not too bad for the breakdance animation.  I guess this is because the cargo animation had to handle the properties that come with being associated with a vehicle and the breakdance animation is a straight animation.