Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: BROKEN ARROW  (Read 3932 times)

TAPNKEGS

BROKEN ARROW
« on: 25 Aug 2002, 17:07:46 »
    Ok, this time I need to call in an airstrike. It would be ideal to have 2 planes come in low about 20-25 and drop off some ordinance (i know the dropping really can't be done..needs to be scripted) thats no problem. Here's the problem.

On the Ia Trang map, the 2 big airfields do not work, the planes will just turn and taxi into the water to try to get to the only airstrip that works, which is the real short one near the main base. That airstrip is too short for any aircraft besides the cessna to take off, i need jets for this (using skyhawks).

I have also tried starting them in the air circling aimlessly till i call them in with a trigger but it doesnt work.

so, is there a way to "create" the planes using the trigger to bring them in, keep in mind i'm a newb as far as this goes and if there are special things that need to be done with waypoints after creation i'll need help with that as well.  and i'm sure this is easier, is there a good airstrike script i can use and how do i connect it's use with the inbound jets.

sorry this was winded, but i wanted to try to be clear on what i was asking, thanks for any help!!

seanver

Re:BROKEN ARROW
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2002, 17:18:14 »
Create a waypoint where you want 'em to wait, and put in the Condition field of the waypoint "cmon" (or whatever word u want). Create now the waypoint where you want the air strike to take place. Now create a trigger, and put in its On Activation field cmon=true.

If you want to activate the air strike using the radio (0-0-1 e.g.) select "Radio Alpha -or Bravo, Charlie,etc) in activation, and put in the text field "Broken Arrow"

Hope this helps

TAPNKEGS

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2002, 17:47:59 »
ok, that should solve one of the problems, i was having them circle an area using a cycle waypoint, and then tried to use a trigger to break it when i needed, that makes sense. I thought you could not have a "waiting" waypoint for planes, but i guess they just circle that spot till you call em in

easy enough, now all i need is the actual strike part  thanks SeAnVeR

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2002, 18:04:24 »
My way:

Create your two planes in the editor (flying)...it's better if they're not grouped together.
Put them in a corner on the map (far away from where the action is because of the sound...I think you don't want to hear them "always").
Create a trigger ("Repeatly") activated by the "first" plane and write in On Activation:

plane1 setpos getpos X1; plane2 setpos getpos X2; plane1 setfuel 1; plane2 setfuel 1

Ok, lil explaination here: plane1 and 2 are the names of your planes X1 and 2 can be coordinates [X,Y,Z] or objects. With the "setfuel" command they can cycle for hours.

For example: Put two "invisble Hs" (named X1 and X2) behind the two planes. So the planes will cycle between the trigger and X1 and X2.
Make sure the "invisible Hs" are placed with a lil' diffrence. If not the planes will crash together. Also you've to give the planes the direction to the trigger (but this should be clear).

Now create a second trigger (maybe also "Repeatly") activated by radiocommand "Alpha" for example and write in OnActivtion:

plane1 setpos getpos X3; plane2 setpos getpos X4

X3 and X4 are coordinates/objects near the "Broken Arrow" area.

Now you can call your planes in by hitting "Alpha".

You can also create a third trigger ("Repeatly") for setposing them back to X1 and X2 activated by the first plane again.

Complecated!!! But it works...

Plage

TAPNKEGS

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2002, 18:13:52 »
oooook, i'll have to read that one a few more times before i get it completely but thanks for the help.

HOW ABOUT THE AIRSTRIKE PART... does anyone know a good script to use and how it gets implimented?

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2002, 18:23:04 »
I thought you can script? That's why I've written such a "psalm".

Now it sounds like you can't... >:(

Plage

TAPNKEGS

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2002, 18:36:00 »
sorry about the confusion, read the initial post...i'm NOT good at scripting, i was just wondering if someone had a zip of a strike i can use with a trigger for the actual strike. I am grateful for the input don't get me wrong

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:01:01 »

[attachment deleted by admin]

LimeCordial

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:15:37 »
does that nape hurt?

TAPNKEGS

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:34:33 »
OK Plage that is a fantastic idea !  couple of questions...

where are the CAT pbo's located once i put them in my add-on folder to place them.

how exactly should i configure the triggers? i tend to mess those up. not sure if i set them to "switch" or how exactly they are done.. do i use "repeatedly" or "once" and how should i put how its detected...by "west"?...and how do i get the trigger to only be activated by the plane and not one of my guys running through it? sorry about such an idiotic clarification, i just want to get it right
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 22:36:57 by TAPNKEGS »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:35:54 »

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 22:39:56 by Tomb »

TAPNKEGS

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:40:38 »
sweet thanks tomb, another great idea. could someone check my last post about the configuring triggers par, i think that will be the final piece i need answered.   thanks again

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:54:29 »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:56:36 »

how do i get the trigger to only be activated by the plane and not one of my guys running through it?

Hit F2 and drag a blue grouping line from trigg to plane  :-*

LimeCordial

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:10:19 »
so it dont hurt then.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:20:35 »
Oh, sorry limey... didn't see that Q - no its just a regular fire  ::) inflame true thingy,
and if ya walk close to it - you get the action to "put out fire"  :-\ so I'd recommend the "drop" any taam!  :)

Not that THIS won't hurt any better, but at least it won't add any unwanted actions to the menu
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 23:24:07 by Tomb »

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:35:56 »
You only need to change the size to what you need, click on "Repeadly" (that makes that the trigger can be activated endless) and write the stuff into the "OnActivation" box.
If you only need the plane one time you should choose "Once".

Nothing more...

For the other stuff in the triggers you should check a (unofficial) command reference.

@LimeCordial: What do you mean...nape?

Greetz
Plage

LimeCordial

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:38:09 »
ah, im too lazy to type napalm.  :)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:38:14 »

@LimeCordial: What do you mean...nape?

He means napalm - and ...

Oh, sorry limey... didn't see that Q - no its just a regular fire  

TAPNKEGS

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:45:39 »
  wow, that was some great feedback and ideas.. about to get off work and hit home and try all this out....i'm gonna make one hell of a mess i'm sure. But i wanted to take a minute and say that the game itself is incredible. And to also have such a helpful group of people here is something rare in the gaming world and i appreciate all your help.

Thanks all and Happy Editing !!!

T.S.C.Plage

« Reply #20 on: 26 Aug 2002, 02:13:56 »
Oh, thought you mean napalm but wasn't sure...I thought maybe it's a "bad" word! ;D

And yes OFP is incredible!