Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Temporary Trigger  (Read 677 times)

Mr.BoDean

Temporary Trigger
« on: 14 Dec 2002, 11:22:41 »
 Hi all,
   Is there an easy way to set up a trigger that will only be active (conditions met or not) for the first 3 minutes of a game, say? Can this be done with a basic trigger without having to  call a script? I tried playing around with the "timeout" feature but didn't achieve the desired results. I want to use this trigger to "encourage"  ;) players to take a different route in the beginning of the mission. Thanks.  :D

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Re:Temporary Trigger
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2002, 11:46:25 »
yeah, in OFP there is a reserved variable called "time" that returns the time elapsed (in seconds) since the start of the each mission.

If you put the following in the condition of the trigger...

time > 180 || !alive enemy1

...the trigger will go off after 3 minutes (180 seconds), or when enemy1 is dead, whichever comes first.

FYI:
The "||" is the same thing as "OR" and "!" is the same thing as "NOT"

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2002, 11:50:00 by toadlife »
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2002, 11:59:47 »
Ok, so by "go Off" you mean that the trigger will no longer be operable, correct? As if it never existed? But if the standard conditions are met BEFORE that time frame, it would function normally, right? And there is no other text to put along with that ...as in "deactivate" or something?

EDIT:So Toad, I tried this text, but it actually just made my trigger activate after the set time, regardless of whether the vehicle the trigger was grouped with entered the trigger area or not. I want the trigger to activate when the vehicle enters, but I don't want the trigger to be operable  if that vehicle does not enter within 3 minutes of mission time. Does that explain better?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2002, 12:21:11 by Mr.BoDean »

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2002, 08:38:02 »
 ^^ Bumpity-Bump ^^

Still an unsolved mystery ...  :'(

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2002, 12:59:22 »
In your case, you need to use AND instead of OR.

AND requires both conditions to be met, while OR does
only require one of them.  ;)

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2002, 00:09:20 »
Hmm.. I think toadlife may have slightly mis-read the question (either that or I have ;D)

Try:

time < 180 AND not (alive enemy)

That line will make the trigger go off only if enemy is killed within 3 minutes... I think that's what you wanted?? ;)

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2002, 13:16:15 »
Thanx for the early Christmas present, fellas.   ;)  

Ok, hmmm, I was a bit confused about the alive unit. So I combined your answers and found I needed this:

this AND time < 240

Let me explain it another way, so you can see what I was after:

I've got a narrow trigger synced to a heli that I want to be activated ONLY if it is by that heli being present and ONLY if it happens within the first 4 minutes of the mission.

So now , I have this :
  Trigger
-activated by VEHICLE      
-synched to AH6 (heli)
-Occurs: ONCE
-type: Switch
-Condition:  this AND time < 240
-On Activation:  AH6 setfuel 0.0002

YEAH! I'm not as think as you dumb I am!  ;D

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2002, 13:56:09 by Mr.BoDean »