Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Someone should make some heavy Bombers  (Read 6420 times)

buzzboy762

Someone should make some heavy Bombers
« on: 25 Aug 2002, 00:58:37 »
This is just an idea I had after looking all the big planes like Air busses and AWACs. I started to think, if everyone wants to make planes that size, then someone should make a B52 and other long range bombers like that. I also think it would be cool for someone to make like a F-117 NightHawk.

Jimmy_james

Re:Someone should make some heavy Bombers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2002, 01:00:31 »
like that deradnaught helo on the Ofp.CZ site?

buzzboy762

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2002, 01:11:34 »
No im talking like jets. Not helos(people rely on them to much) But like some sort of long range bomber. It be great if someone could give it tons of bombs to drop.

Jimmy_james

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2002, 01:15:36 »
i was talking about the bombs they drop outta them :-*

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2002, 02:32:18 »
problem with long range bombers is... well.... there is no long range in ofp  :-\

and they fly so fast in reality that they would fly over most of the islands in a very short time...

some1 did start work on a Nighthawk a while back - dunno where it got to.

:thumbsup:
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Vera_Krieg

• Members
  • Your a Daisy if ya' do
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2002, 08:03:49 »
someone has started on a b-52, can't remember were but when it gets done youll know it, i would realy like the AI to fly over and saturate the ground with some bomin'
Trained to Fight, Trained To Kill, Ready to Die, but Never Will.  Marines Make the Blood Flow, Blood Makes the Grass Grow...

tai mai shu

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2002, 11:06:13 »
yeah, and using the "drop command" you ca make some nice looking vapor trails come off of the engine/wings...

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2002, 11:34:54 »
well - problem with a b52, well try this - take a jet in ofp and fly up to 30,000 feet (8000m) not sure if that 8000 in ofp but try going to 8000.... now can you see the gorund? unless your computer is soooo high powered that you have it on 10000 viewdistance then you aint gonna see a b52 bomber

so its eaisier to use a script to simulate a b52 bombing run.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

SEAL84

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:15:53 »
Yep....A B52 would be flying higher than you could see it, and if you were up in it you wouldn't see the ground.  Plus none of the OFP runways are big enough for a B52.    

Even so, they carry over 70,000 pounds of bombs, and if you were to carpet bomb a position with one, there would be so much lag as all the bombs go off, you'd be sitting there for a while waiting for it to end.  Try detonating 30 satchel charges all at once...a little lag there....now try 30 Mk84 bombs (which are exponentially more powerful than the biggest explosion we have in OFP) all within a few seconds...hell on earth.

Plus B52's don't run CAS missions.  They bomb big things worthy of dozens of tons of bombs.  They can carry cluster munitions, but that's for like whole divisions caught in the open.  

So in short, no, there's really no use for a B52 in OFP.  

tai mai shu

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:33:29 »
damn, id hate to be a rifleman in a division on a forced march, and have one of those big mothers fly over me, and drop 70, ooo pounds worth of hand grenades on me lol. jeez.

yeah those mk84s are rough stuff, i dont think the ofp engine will even allow explosions that large.  my dad told me about when he was in vietnam (he was a forwardobserver with a ranger unit)  and on rare occasions theyd call in b-52 when they were outside of their artillery coverage.  just a few mk84s would level an entire jungle.  they got a 200 meter kill radius, and anything within 300 meters wont be fighting for the rest of that day  ;D.  a modified b-52 could drop a "Big Blue 42" which is an early version of the daisy cutter.  its a gas-oxygen bomb thats 7 times as efficient as the c-4 high explosives.  it was used occasionally in vietnam, but was most commonly used to clear entire LZ's for the air cav guys.

those things were the size of a Suburban, and would decimate anything for at least 400-500 meters.  WOW.

Big-Boss

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:34:29 »
B1 Lancer: Low altitude prescision bomber! Would be so cool to have one of those in a cutscene, fly over a few villages: then saturate some tanks.

SEAL84

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2002, 22:41:38 »
I'd be happy with medium-range bombers like the FB111 or A6...small enough to be seen, but still carrying a big load.

Though the B1 is still a big mutha of a plane...initially it was a regular heavy bomber but they changed it's role to low-alititude penetration.  All that means is that the B1 flies low and fast, and that's how it survives.  If one were to fly overhead in a cutscene, it would be a deafening roar and flash, then it would be gone.

You don't tank-plink with a B1.  That's why they developed the A10.

Some basics about the Lancer:

http://www.jetplanes.co.uk/lancer.html

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-1b.htm

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-1.htm
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2002, 22:45:37 by SEAL84 »

LimeCordial

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:17:43 »
we should have one of them funky looking ones that there was a pic of in one of the old threads.........uh.......a.........bro..........bronco!

thats it, i think it was a bronco.

SEAL84

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:34:02 »
There you go...OV10 Bronco.  A FAC plane capable of carrying machinegun pods and rockets.  

Doable?  Yes.

Useful?  Oh yeah.

LimeCordial

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:37:20 »
yeah, this: