Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: change CONFIG.BIN  (Read 3946 times)

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
change CONFIG.BIN
« on: 21 Nov 2002, 18:34:05 »
I want to edit the CONFIG.BIN file. There must be a way but I dont know how.
I have tried different things with ofpmanager and binarize but with no sucess.
Thankful for help.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re:change CONFIG.BIN
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2002, 00:35:01 »
don't touch the orig config man! take a copy and make a dummy OFP gamefolder,
preferrably put all of it on another hard drive (i.e. "E:" and not "C:")
then use the avaliable tools (like the manager) to convert it to a .cpp and
make whatever addons, but man... don't you edit the orig. one used by the 'real' ofp engine!  :P :noo:

----------

...besides....(if you play MultiPlayer)  ::) ...this just dropped in my mailbox  ::) :

(From the brand new ofp patch 1.90)
 Fixed: Resource cheating now shows "Modified config" message.  ::)

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2002, 01:10:12 by Tomb »

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2002, 16:44:25 »
No MP cheating!!
I am trying to change all original weapons with REDÂ's (the best addon, thank you RED).

Its no problem to extract and change the CONFIG.BIN using the ofp-manager BUT I dont know how to reencode... What tool can do that?

Baphomet

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2002, 07:03:22 »
I don't know why so many people think that if you want to edit original stuff you must be a cheater. I would LOVE to modify some bits of code from the original config.bin or at least make a mod that overwrites some of it. The amount of flares you can carry mainly. You can't carry enough. Would I use it in MP?. Sure. Not without distributing the same thing to the others I play with. I don't play via dedicated servers over the internet so I don't have to worry about people cheating. If  you do. Well hell, thats a chance you take with every game.

If someone was cheating in a game I was playing I would know who it was and where they live... So I don't worry. =P

By the way. With OFPmanager when I decompiled a .bin file (not the main one, from someone's mod). It didn't decompile perfectly. It was missing all the header stuff... #defines, etc.
So it was pretty useless to me. Is there any way to perfectly decompile a .bin file?
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2002, 07:05:12 by Baphomet »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2002, 18:07:10 »
the cheat comment I posted was just a short sidenote,
actually I don't do MP myself, so I don't give a peach to be honest  ::)

:) My main reason for replying was this :

What if ya upload a mission, using customized ORIG. units...
wouldn't this cause serious sh`t for all the ppl who wanted to play the mission  :o ???

I mean... just like if the mission included an addon you didn't have?!  :-*

If this is true (its just a guess, I dunno for real..) then you're screwed  :P ::)

That was my point !!!  :) forget about the other part, m8

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2002, 20:06:19 »
I am only interested in playing the original campains with different weapons and maybe different vehicles.
I see no reason to change the config if you can use addons, as you say it would cause serious s**t if people had there own config.

But in this case its for my own single-play. I would have the original config backed-up ofcourse.

So if anyone know how to reencode the file please let me know..

M_S_Holder

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2002, 21:47:06 »
andersson,

I've been trying to do that forever.  In fact, I also tried to change the config.bin to be very similar to the RED weapons pack.

After trying for too long, I just figured out how to make my own addon version of each weapon in the game, inspired by RED weapons.

I can't even use the game's original units anymore--they just suck.  Rather than edit the config.bin, I suggest that you make an addon for each weapon system in the game.

By the way, if you don't know this already, you can use the RED weapons pack for any addon you download.

For example, I downloaded the Tiawan SAWS, depbo'ed them and the RED pack, inserted the Tiawan SAW model name in the RED M249 config.cpp file, and then I had a real-looking SAW that fired correctly.

And I agree, RED weapons is one of the best (but underrated) addons for the game, but the MGs still have too much recoil and shoot WAY above the heads of the targets, but that's easy to fix.

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2002, 02:27:57 »
I have the same "problem" as you (M_S_Holder). I cant play a mission or a campain before I changed every addon to use RED.
Yes I know already and I change every addon that I use...

If I understand you right it is possible to make addons that the game will use instead of the original units in the campains and missions?

If you have such addons is it possible for me to get them or can you give me some help making my own? IÂ'm used to make changes in the config.cpp by now but help is appreciated.

I have change many weapons and vehicles the same way that you have change Taiwan SAW. If you have a vehicle with good sound and characteristics you can use that config.cpp and sound in another addon (example "real-mtb" addon->winter and desert).

But I dont think that REDÂ's mgÂ's have to much recoil..

M_S_Holder

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2002, 04:36:50 »
I think that there is a utility called "cpp to bin" somewhere out there, but I think that is for people that want to binarize their own addons.  I have no idea what would happen if you try to reincode the game's data with it, though.

Someone warned me a while back that editing the main code would activate fade.  Be careful.  

You can do it with Satchel's sound pack, or it least I know that you used to be able to.

The sound pack changes the main Config.bin to a .cpp file, but the game reads the new .cpp file like it was the original .bin file.  Alot of cheaters took advantage of this, and I think that changes were made to the sound mod.

It might still work, however.

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2002, 09:34:31 »
Thanks for the Satchels sound pack idea. Im going to try that.
I dont care if Fade activates. I reinstall the game if its not playable anymore. Have the original cdÂ's.

I have tried binarize with no success and the same with cpp2bin. With cpp2bin I get an error message, something about cfg model..

What tools did you use when you tried to change the config?  And did you have addons that changed the original units?

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2002, 13:59:40 »
sorry to interrupt again, lads (  ::) I know, I know  ;D ) but do remember a few things here!!
  • ALWAYS (when modifying an addon for private use) remember to put a note about it in the .cpp and preferrebly, keep a copy of the ORIG. addon.zip/pbo in a "OFPbackups/_Addons" folder  :)
  • NEVER upload customized addons or missions using them unless you have permission by the real authors!
Again, might sound like an ol' dog here but it is important - also for yer own sake  ;)

Imagine you (by time) forgot which addons you have modified...
 :o This would/could lead to numerous annoying error messages for you or other ppl
if you download/upload stuff (missions w. addons or just addons) that were modded  :hmm:

In short: make a tiny NOTEPAD and include it in the .pbo's reading when and what
         you have modified in this addon!

aah, well - I'm just trying to push the addonMaker community in a sober direction  :P :thumbsup:
I fear it will end up in a chaos, making it impossible to be able to
upload as little as a goddamn mission some day!  :( hope I won't live to see the day!

Take care m8s - all in the name of EASY GAMING, right  :D

CHEERS  :cheers:

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2002, 18:18:45 »
To everone reading this topic;

I change addons ONLY for my own private purposes. If I play MP with my friends I tell them that the addons are private (they dont make missions or addons anyway).
I respect the addonmakers. A big thanx to you all!!!
If I am going to use any addon officially I am going to follow the authors rules and if necessary contact that person first.

And to Tomb. I agree with you that its important to respect the addonmakers AND not to make a addon chaos.
When I release my "mission" for the community It will only use official units. Its so frustrating to figure out what addon is missing...

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2002, 19:00:53 »
The tool you want to use is cpp to bin, it works, but only if the cpp is complete, I tried decompiling the config.bin with ofp manager, but it never does the whole config properly, there will allways be bits missing, or de-coded incorrectly, your safest bet is to grab the cpp from a-lone-wolfs site (which is here: http://web.quick.cz/fholesinsky/OF/index.html) and re-do your changes :D

then use cpp to bin, and it will work properly...
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2002, 19:03:51 by DeadMeatXM2 »

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2002, 19:05:56 »
Thank you!!! IÂ'll try that.

M_S_Holder

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2002, 20:06:11 »
Let me know if it works.

If it does, then it would be possible to make a *real* mod for the game, where the weapons actually preform like real weapons.

On modifying addons:

EVERY SINGLE ADDON that I download, I modify for personal taste.  If I can't modify it, I won't use it.  I do this for the educational aspect of learning how to make my own addons.

Someone modified Kegety's RPG7, and now the RPG is even better.  I modified the modification and it is better still.  As a result, I learned alot about rocket launchers, and then I made an excellent version of the LAW and Carl Gustav for myself.

Addon making is a learning process, and I don't pass around my modifications w/o permission.  I just can't stand it when addon makers binarize thier addons.

The only thing that I could possibly steal is the models, and I won't dare do that.

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2002, 23:16:32 »
I tested the downloaded config-file and it didnt work for me.. Fresh from the zip file and cpp2bin. Error message "value not an array".
Single missions didnt work and Ive got strange results in the mission editor (sitting in the backseat of the jeep while driving it...).

Baphomet

« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2002, 09:29:54 »
I agree. I modify a lot of addons to personal taste. If I can't modify it and something bothers me, it just grates my soul especially when I see an addon I'd like to play and it has something wretchedly wrong with it and it can't be changed.

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2003, 11:37:14 »
I tested the downloaded config-file and it didnt work for me.. Fresh from the zip file and cpp2bin. Error message "value not an array".
Single missions didnt work and Ive got strange results in the mission editor (sitting in the backseat of the jeep while driving it...).

Hi anderson I did exactly the same as you, I got the 1.90 config.cpp from the holeinthesky website (see back up for URL posted by deadmeat) and made no changes at all to it. I simply converted it to a config.bin using amalfis cpp2bin and I got exactly the same error message and exactly same game results.

???

What am I missing here?--BTW this is prvt use for me only.  I simply would like to learn more about this and what is causing the issue. Been scripting here at ofpec for ages now but never worked with configs b4--seems there is no trusted way to convert back and fourth without any code getting messed up.   :-\

The compression goes ahead fine--I get no errors, only when I start the game.

Can anyone help with this?
« Last Edit: 25 May 2003, 11:39:32 by Zayfod »
"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline andersson

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2003, 23:52:26 »
The file is missing #defines in the beginning. That is not the only problem with it so dont put to much work into it. I have...

But you can get a commented config at BIS official homepage.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/breathe/
 Just go to download section and take it. With that you can create your own config.cpp. I have it but I havnt had time to make a .cpp of it yet.

You can also look at this
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=5fc5160e923265580d07a1e936d925c0;act=ST;f=54;t=30398

This is also interesting
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=5fc5160e923265580d07a1e936d925c0;act=ST;f=54;t=30458

Hope it helps :)

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2003, 03:24:19 »
Thanks for your reply mate.

All sorted now ;)

cheers  :cheers:

Zay out
"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"