Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Snowed in, crashed ofp  (Read 1009 times)

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Snowed in, crashed ofp
« on: 07 Nov 2002, 20:21:29 »
I decided to make a variation of the snow script in the Winter Nogojev addon 1.1 and ended up doing something that will freeze ofp after 5 minutes or so. Am I good or am I good  ;D

It has nothing to do with lag as I'm just dropping 1 particle at a time, manipulating the interval as below, nothing that hits the eye as a fatal error:
(in editor in a trigger on activation field: [you,12,thislist] exec "snowstorm.sqs"
_obj = _this select 0
_amount = _this select 1
_trlist = _this select 2

? _obj in _trlist : goto "continue"
goto "end"
#continue
_spawnDist = 35
_spawnHeight = 25
_velocity = [0,0,-0.61]
_delay = 1 * 10^-_amount

#Begin
_posDrop = [(getpos _obj select 0)-_spawnDist+(random (_spawnDist*2)), (getpos _obj select 1)-_spawnDist+(random (_spawnDist*2)),  (getpos _obj select 2)+_spawnHeight]
_posDrop = [(_posDrop select 0)+((velocity vehicle _obj select 0)*5),(_posDrop select 1)+((velocity vehicle _obj select 1)*5),_posDrop select 2]
drop ["cl_fireD", "", "Billboard", 1, 13, _posDrop, _velocity, 1,0.000001, 0.000, 0.7, [0.06,0.06], [[1,1,1,0], [1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,1]], [0,1,0,1,0,1], 0.2, 1.2, "", "", ""]

~_delay
? _obj in _trlist : goto "begin"
goto "end"

#end
exit
Notice the nice way I get the delay so the user can enter a number from 1-12 for the snow fall amount. the actual number would be with 12 something like 0.0000000000001  ;D
the bug: The game starts to hog an awful amount of memory after 1 time ingame rendering those particles. It can take up to 5 minutes after the game just exits, your hardrive goes crunchcrunchmumble... and if you happen to try previewing again, it's time to hit that reset-button. What can this be all about?!

Here's the mission.sqm and script, put into the usual place and look out for a folder called MIF_snowstorm.intro. I stress that don't go ingame unless you wan't the above to happen. If it does happen on your system. If it doesn't, you've just cost me alotta möney.  ;D
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2002, 20:24:26 by MI_Fred »
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
Re:Snowed in, crashed ofp
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2002, 20:30:47 »
Well, MI_Fred...it worked just fine for me ;D ;D ;D ;D
Maybe u just got a too bad computer ::) :P jk ;D

I dunno anything about this scripting stuff, so cya ;D

Garcia

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2002, 18:16:41 »
Mutt!!!

::) just scaring off people with ma avatar...  ;D
yea, good, just try to stay in the editor in that same island and mission for some time and maybe then the effects will show. I need more peeps to try this out.

I would only need this for a mission I'm making over, actually my first ever is going through changes. Also, odd thing I noticed with winter nogojev scripts: if u setdammage a guy 0.9 so he'd go crawling and drop blood, he doesn't crawl. SetUnitPossing "DOWN" makes him crawl but still no blood. hmmnaargh.  :P
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2002, 18:18:15 by MI_Fred »
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2002, 09:44:13 »
if u setdammage a guy 0.9 so he'd go crawling and drop blood,

0.95 is the limit, which has to be broken to force a unit
down to the ground.

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2002, 22:09:07 »
I see. 0.96 did it. But unfortunately no blood even yet. I wonder...
And I quote
; Avoid useless scripts if actual player is far away
? player distance _dude > 1200 : exit
Written by Kegetys. Ummmm... I would love to hear him say why?! I know the blood gets absorbed after a while, but still I'd be great to follow a path of blood... Oh well, I guess the player is close enuf on this occasion, I had just viewed this situation with camera.sqs so no blood was dropped.

CD if you tried out the snow, spill it out. did it start to hickup?  ???

ElJefe

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2002, 09:10:22 »
First post :)

About the lack of blood, they'll only leave blood behind if they get injured after the mission loads, my guess is that it has something to do with when the script is executed..

Try setting it up so 'setdammage = 0.96' happens after the mission has loaded (ie by using a trigger or a delay), see if that works.

Otherwise, just spawn a hand-grenade about 4-5 meters away from him at the beginning of the mission.

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2002, 01:13:57 »
It's triggered later but I haven't tried it out yet. And won't until I get clarification on this memory issue. I deleted Winter Nogojev and the game stays up longer. It only comes down on memory issues after I've used the drop command now. But much later than before. Must have something to do with the amount of addons I use, 80, 155mb.

If it's the drop, then I shall ram my poop down a certain group of ppls throat. Jk.  ::)