Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: terrain scanning?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline qba69

• Members
terrain scanning?
« on: 14 Jan 2012, 13:12:17 »
I came across very interesting thread here Scripting: Advanced AI skill improvement:
http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=13969.15

And in particular I'd like to ask about that area scanning script Spinor was trying to implement:
http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=13969.msg93731#msg93731

I checked scripts available in the Editors Depot but couldn't find it. Can someone please point me to it?

Offline Aldo15

• OFP-addict
  • Former Staff
    • My OFP missions
Re: terrain scanning?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2012, 01:35:05 »
Man are you looking for AI skill improvement?  :dunno:
I don't know if you're looking for that, but I've found a script about it. If you want to try it. AI skill improvement

I hope it helps
Cheers,
Aldo15
My OFP stuff
FMF Project by Aldo15. Coming soon.
If in the high school or university, Teachers add a new subject about how to make scripts, missions, for ofp. I'd be number one of my classroom

Offline qba69

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2012, 02:01:08 »
That's not what I'm looking for. But thanks anyway;)

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2012, 09:27:10 »
The scripts don't really exist anywhere (might have back in the day on Spinor's and Komuna's PCs of course) so the only script you can get is in the posts you linked to.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2012, 13:47:09 »
Well, Komuna was a major player in the development of ECP and it would surprise me if Spinor didn't get a credit there also. However 2003 is long ago and progress doesn't always happen in the direction you'd expect.

I don't think the 'sort into bushes, trees and roads' aspect survived, but ECP has a 'nearest object search' function (pdf readme page 18). Which in turn sounds similar to Improved Nearest Object by Fragorl.

With a bit of care mission-makers can hide most AI deficiencies - not having enemies only in Safe mode being the most obvious. That said, getting groups to work in concert is still a job for scripting. MapFact are darned good scripters, but I don't recall seeing any reviews of their AI Addon in English. Might be worth a look; I believe it's bi-lingual (German & English).

Offline qba69

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2012, 15:58:44 »
I don't think the 'sort into bushes, trees and roads' aspect survived, but ECP has a 'nearest object search' function (pdf readme page 18). Which in turn sounds similar to Improved Nearest Object by Fragorl.
Ok, I'll check ECP for its search function as Fragorl script won't help me here much.

With a bit of care mission-makers can hide most AI deficiencies - not having enemies only in Safe mode being the most obvious. That said, getting groups to work in concert is still a job for scripting. MapFact are darned good scripters, but I don't recall seeing any reviews of their AI Addon in English. Might be worth a look; I believe it's bi-lingual (German & English).
Regarding AI in OFP - the problem is that there are way too many drawbacks and shortcomings in AI system. For example, lack of suppressive/covering fire and inability to read terrain. There are many more of course but these two I would put in the first place (at least from the defensive point of view).
Anyway, I'll try to understand those bits and pieces that Spinor was talking about as I believe there's a little chance to make such a script.

And regarding that AI addon from MapFact - latest version of SKY KI Addon 2.0 can be found on Mapfact website:
http://mapfact.armed-assault.de/Archiv/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=553