Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Modern US and Russian soldiers  (Read 6248 times)

Big-Boss

Modern US and Russian soldiers
« on: 24 Aug 2002, 18:57:43 »
Modern US and Russian troops would be sooo cool, instead of those old crappy coldwar ones, any potential pack should be highly realistic, and should include new, realistic weapons (M16A3, M4a1 SOPMOD M24, AN94, AK74M etc), new uniforms(Digital camo, new rucksacks, dust goglles, Load bearing "vests") and finally, real unit insignias, such as 82nd and 101st airborne, 10th mouintain and 72 ranger.

Anyone willing to take up the challange?

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:Modern US and Russian soldiers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2002, 19:13:07 »
those vest would be 'webbing' - or thats what us brits call it  ;)

sounds good - nice idea - i think a better camo and uniform would be great - and make it in urban and desert camo as well.

could be a great addon.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Jimmy_james

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2002, 19:15:39 »
 has anyone made a uniform like the one the mercinaries wear on "The Rock"

SEAL84

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2002, 20:11:47 »
Those were USMC Force Recon troops if I remember right, not mercs.

I'd like to see a new soldier model made in 02 that is "beefed up" a bit to look like he has a Kevlar vest on.  Then get rid of the bedroll and give 'em rucksacks.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2002, 00:14:30 »
When you see soldiers on the news nowadays they look massive with all the body armour and packs on... tres cool. Anyone see the Royal Marines getting on the Chinook in Afghanistan a few months ago on the news? How hard did they all look, especially the guys carrying an M82 in their hands and an SA80 tucked in the top of their bergens?

Now look at your average flashpoint grunt... all loaded down with his bedroll and nine magazines at most.

Get Frandsen's new marine pack if you've got Res, they look the biz.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2002, 00:19:08 »
oh the friggin do - especially the medic - hoohaaa
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Navy Captain

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2002, 04:13:43 »
that pack needs a medic for the recon team, not just the main fire teams
 ;D

OCOM_LMLVLM

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2002, 08:24:52 »
so........someone's gonna make some modern Russian soldiers ?? :-\

OCOM_LMLVLM

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2002, 08:30:06 »
like the ones in GR  ;)

Eviscerator

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2002, 08:56:01 »
any modern grunt soldier should have a bergen...and these things are huge (talking from british army experience anyway), not like the tiny resistance things that would allow the soldier to survive for about 5-10 minutes

NeRo

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2002, 19:31:19 »
I'd like to see modern soldiers in OFP too, because the old ones are looking really thin compared to modern infantry.
But wouldn't it be better to update not only the soldiers but the hole army?
I think of vehicles like the M1A2, the RAH-66 Comanche, the Linebacker-version of the M2A3 (AA), the AH-64 D Longbow Apache for the US and the T90, the T80UM2 Black Eagle, the BMP 3, the BTR-80a, BRDM-3 with 5 AT5-missels and the Mi-28N Havoc for the Russians.

Just a few suggestions and i don't expect that anyone will make these things for OFP, but who knows... ::)

Monkey Lib Front

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2002, 20:17:56 »
Modern russian troops = UCE

nuff said

Raven

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2002, 20:28:00 »
The UEC ones don't seem to work well in Resistance, no pistols etc, or is this just me.

Monkey Lib Front

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2002, 20:33:33 »
well i can use them, there aint any pistols but that dont really matter.

FlidMerchant

« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2002, 20:35:14 »
I'd like to see a grenadier who can carry more tha 3 grenade rounds.Without a sight it's hard enough to hit 1 target with 3 rounds.They should be able to carry at least 10-15.

Big-Boss

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2002, 21:39:08 »
The Marines are a step in the right direction, but I'm talking about a whole new overhaull. New weapon skins, more realistic ballistics, realistic iron sights, real sounds, soldier models, soldier skins, etc.

LimeCordial

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2002, 21:55:14 »
OFP2?

Big-Boss

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2002, 19:05:34 »
It would be so cool if someone could take up this challange, as I would really love to see realistic modern forces (doesn't have to be US, could be Ukranian, Kazakh etc.)

ZIKAN

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2002, 00:04:32 »
I'd like to see a grenadier who can carry more tha 3 grenade rounds.Without a sight it's hard enough to hit 1 target with 3 rounds.They should be able to carry at least 10-15.

I think this is a good point. The weapon load out and what you can carry has seriously been wrong since the start of OFP. If you look at todays modern armed forces they are carrying huge amounts or weight into combat. You should be able to carry more than three 40mm grenades, after all they are not much different in size or weight to a hand grenade.  Also the amount of magazines you can carry needs to be realistic, when carrying grenades and smoke shells etc

SEAL84

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2002, 00:09:59 »
Okay....here's something for BIS to think about...

A buddy of mine was deployed overseas with the 1st Armored Division in about 1983, and back then he still carried an M16A1 (20 round clips).  I asked him how much ammo he carried on an average day, and he said 6 clips.  That was in peacetime.   When they went on excercises like ReForGer, he carried three times that, not including 2 Dragon missiles, grenades, a Colt .45, and a Dragon launcher.  

And what do we have for front-line infantry in OFP?  Standard 4 clips.  

We need more ammo slots!

Grimesy

« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2002, 04:30:04 »
Hey do you want guys that loko liek this? And no they are not OP CODE BLUE'S, oh yeah forgot to mention they're still not done yet
http://www.geocities.com/wandlmods/newwood2sidebig.jpg

Eviscerator

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2002, 04:56:47 »
they look ok apart from the clowns feet...

Cloney

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2002, 05:13:22 »
Why do you guys INSIST on ripping off your textures from Ghost Recon. This isn't the first mod I've seen do this either. Take the time to make them! They always look better.

Look at ebuds, he makes them from scratch and they are always teriffic.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2002, 05:16:21 by Cloney »

Skaven

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2002, 11:16:35 »
I have the entire Russian Army almost made, some new models, complete new textures, handgun proxy, Evis's BMD-3...
140 Soldiers packed with all the latest stuff  ;D
Omon,Sobr,Alpha Team, Russian Paratroopers,Regular Soldiers,Airborne SpetzNatz (you name it), all wearing original cammos, desert and woodland, maybe Snow (I'm still thinking about it, the pack is already 25 Mbytes large)
Weapons: Keygethis Russian Weapons, Norsu's Grozas and some more being still made.

As for US Forces, you'll be surprised by BAS NEW Delta and Seals addons (Whait and See) ;D

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2002, 18:49:52 »
Skaben, you should ad winter units in it, the problem being with winter units addons its that they all are based in the original units and if you were going somewhere like winter Nogojev from Kegs you would freeze with the uniforms they have, it loocks unreall, so I think you should think good about it, ider way would be comprensible, no winter units? cos you need new models, Yes to winter units? if you just get the ones you got with a white camo. A lot of work I supose ;D
 However, some of UCE's East addons had been updated by SDOC to be able to play with the caracteristics of 1.75, here is the link if you guys want them http://www.opflashpoint.org/addons.php?v=285
 it seam to be a few East weapon packs going round latelly, I downloaded the one made by RUSniper,its two sniper rifles( one silenced) and a silenced smg, they great, I finded it in OFP.org, but it was a link from the news section and I can't find it in the addons section :(
 Have a loock around and try to convence people to work in all this unit ideas, if you mix the weapons with some nice new units you get a hall new game... well almost.
 By the way, the addon depot of OFPEC should be updated pronto, cos if not when its ready there is going to be a lot to put in there in one go and a lot to download, I'm geting tired of going to lots of diferent places to download nice stuff, it was great before when we had the latest new addons all in here nice and tidy :'(
Later all.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

Wires

« Reply #25 on: 23 Nov 2002, 01:46:43 »
Skaven maybe you should split your pack into seasons. Some 'real' winter troops would be great as @cero is right it does look daft guys running around is the snow without any snow gear.

Can we have some pics of your new units Skaven?

Wires

Skaven

« Reply #26 on: 23 Nov 2002, 03:38:02 »
Well I can make the Winter units easily, but what worries me is the size of the addons, it will mean at least 5 .p3d files (the minimum), packed with a lot of textures files, I'm afraid the snow will take at least more 6 to 10 Mbytes which will make this pack at least 20 to 30 Mbytes long, and If I do as I plan some more three or four weapons...
Oh well I'm gonna thing about it, in the mean time here are some pics, some are old some are new, hope you like it  ;D
I'll post the rest when I open a new thread with the BMD (by Evis) and the Alpha Team models (by Vixer) are done  ;D

Note 1: Some of the photos are old, so a lot have been changed, like armed patches, the skin is now a lot better, some textures have been changed, new models have been added, you'll see them in the new thread I will open soon.
The Headguear from the Paratroopers was "borrowed" from UceE.
Note 2: This may be released as a BAS addon, it still wasn't decided, however if it ain't I share it with Evis,Vixer and
NZ-Psychokiwi for making some really cool models for me to texture  ;D
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2002, 04:07:52 by Skaven »

OCOM_LMLVLM

« Reply #27 on: 23 Nov 2002, 06:43:49 »
I suggest you use a Mailman's Russian weapons pack (called Demopack or something like that..) it has some good russian weapons, like vss vintorez, as val, ak74m/gp25 (new model), an94/gp25, svu, and an RPK74M with a 45rd mag, finally, hehe  ;D

PFC_Mike

« Reply #28 on: 23 Nov 2002, 08:11:52 »
hey but what about Yanks? No offense, but until someone makes a Checnya mod I don't see the point of Russians.

BTW Skaven you might want to use the HK mod baclavas or the BIS ones on the new Resistance sniper

ZIKAN

« Reply #29 on: 23 Nov 2002, 13:36:49 »
hey but what about Yanks? No offense, but until someone makes a Checnya mod I don't see the point of Russians.
I disagree, we need more Russian units, apart from American ones (which i think there is too much of and making OFP boring  ::)) there is not alot else out there to make new interesting missions with. I agree it would be nice to have some Chechen units, and maybe some Al Qaeda also.

Skaven nice work! any chance you could put some black wool hats on some random units? Especailly the urban cammo ones.

Skaven

« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2002, 13:46:32 »
Yanks ;D
I'm working on an entire new set of Seals and Delta for BAS, together with Frandsen, all new models and with a lot of surprises, also new weapons are being produced.

As for the Russian boys, well as I said some of the pics are old, so a lot as been implemented sice, as it still is.
Still, all sujestions will be more than welcome, just shoot me, what you don't like what you like what could be better...
I'll open a new thread soon with new pics  ;)

Darkninja

« Reply #31 on: 23 Nov 2002, 16:31:06 »
Excellent Skaven!  ;D
Very good and precise textures.
Good to get new Russian units too balance up things.

But we should need a Checnya mod where these new units should be included to get a maximum use of them.

There are almost no mods where you play as russians, many should be interested in this new mod. It's the only big military conflict where soldiers fight other "soldiers" now.

The war over there is a little bit special though, consisting of many guerilla tactics and ambushes; a different type of war. Not so unlike the warfare of the resistance campaign.

Therefore some Checnya separatists should be made also.
And maybe a new mod...

Skaven

« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2002, 16:40:35 »
Can't talk for the MOD, since I'm already at BAS and I'm stockpiling already, so one MOD is enough ;D
But I'll make some Checnyan units, if anyone needs them, just find me a good set photos to work from and I'll do it   ;)

CrunchyFrog

« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2002, 17:07:33 »
Hey, could you equip those with Red Force Team's Weapon? (AK-74M, RPK-74M, VSS, SVU-A), alittle more realistic than the AK-103 and AK-107...

Skaven

« Reply #34 on: 23 Nov 2002, 17:10:49 »
Are they tagged?
If so I don't mind trying them, the better my boys are equiped the better  ;D

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #36 on: 23 Nov 2002, 19:50:55 »
I know that Skaven is really beasy with the BAS projects and even so still open to sugestions ::) I can give a lote of sugestions on things that are really neaded for the OFP comunity, like a lot of diferent East units, Somalians, Irakis, Colombian cartel guerrillas, etc; the problem with the most of the East units (like the Somalians for example) that are based in a non governamental force is that to create a addon of them you'll find that the most of the ones out there have the same uniform for the hall army, or only a few variants. We should have more variants to make it more real, its like the KLA, I remember seing them in the news during the Kosovo crisis and no one had the same uniform, because they are a resistance group that could not afford to pay for a hall uniformed army, so everyone had theyr wown bits and pices, moust of them a mix of civilian and militar indumentary. Same go for the Somalis that so many people wants in OFP, the ones you see in Blackhawk Down have the same mixture of clothes as the KLA and so many more military and terrorist groups from around the glob. The problem, the PBO fille would be masive, so that's my litle opinion ;Dlol
 I hoppe you guys followed me all along ;)
Later all.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

CrunchyFrog

« Reply #37 on: 23 Nov 2002, 20:27:19 »
IMO, the russian troops should be equipped with:

Regular troops:
AK-74M, AK-74M+GP25, RPK-74M, SVD, SVDK, PKM, RPG-7V1, RPG-29, RPG-26, RPG-27

Paratroopers:
AKS-74M, AKS-74M+GP25,AKS-74U AN-94, AN-94+GP25, RPKS-74M, SVDS, RPG-7V1, RPG-26, RPG-27

Special Forces (Spetsnatz, OMON, Alpha etc.):
AK(S)-74M, AK(S)-74M+GP25, AKS-74U, RPK(S)-74M, SVD(S), SVDK, SVU-A, PKM, VSS, AS, BIZON-2, BIZON-3, SAIGA 12K, RPG-7V1, RPG-29, RPG-26, RPG-27

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2002, 05:51:59 by CrunchyFrog »

Darkninja

« Reply #38 on: 23 Nov 2002, 20:39:28 »
Well...
Some pictures of the "Chechnya" separatists are russian governmental troops...

That is pictures from Chechnya not Chechnyans.

By the way, chechnyans don't have any particular uniforms.

Some have long beards and are muslims anyway.

I will sort some pics.

PFC_Mike

« Reply #40 on: 23 Nov 2002, 22:30:52 »
yah but to make a Chechen mod, you need to make Chechnya. Any volunteers?

Burned out urban areas (Grozny) and countryside would make for a good map in general

ZIKAN

« Reply #41 on: 23 Nov 2002, 23:03:56 »
Well...
Some pictures of the "Chechnya" separatists are russian governmental troops...

That is pictures from Chechnya not Chechnyans.

By the way, chechnyans don't have any particular uniforms.

Some have long beards and are muslims anyway.

I will sort some pics.

My last link covered those, although i was too lazy to pick them out individually  :P
its a good site for all things for the chechnya conflict. The Chechens have a vast amount of Russian kit, and they wear US BDU's also. Its true they dont really have uniformity among their men, but if you could stick an arm patch on the jackets like this, its would sort out any confusion:

Try this one also for pictures:
http://www.aeronautics.ru/chechnya/cgallery.htm

Skaven

« Reply #42 on: 24 Nov 2002, 01:23:23 »
 ;D I think I have enough Chechian pics to start an entire Army, thaks guys, I'll make you the Chechian Units as soon as I finnish the Russian and US  ;D

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #43 on: 24 Nov 2002, 10:24:22 »
I think the Chechyn Rebels are connected with the Al Qieda Network so you could use some of thoes guys as Al Qs but you'd need a Bin Ladin, with the Mangy Beard and the Rotted old skirt and the BDU field Jacket. But Reguarding the D Boys you (Skaven) and Frandsen are working on, I'm reading the Book Inside the Delta Force buy Comand Sergent Major Eric Haney (Ret.) and it says that a lot of Delta's work is Body Guard work and Recon, from the streets, so if in the Delta Pack you could add a Soldier in Civilian Cloths (new Textures or Models would be cool, but not Neccesary) with Rifles and Pistols, (M1911a1s they use thoes a lot), you shold try to add an M-3 Grease Gun, in the late 70's and probly still today, Delta Used a lot of them (since the Delta Force CO got a whole Boat load of them Cheap  ;D) but whatever  ;)