Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Accessing hidden OFP files with HDD as slave(SOLVED)  (Read 1778 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Since my own pc has been down, I have installed the HDD into my wife's computer as a slave drive in order to access many of the files. That means that the OS on that drive does not actually initiate which prevents certain features of vista from working properly, in particular, the indexing function. I am successful with all except for the OFP user created content that vista usually hides as compatible content in the OFP directory. I was able to (somehow) find the directory to where it is being stored in the actual windows folder but when I try and access each mission folder, it is empty. Does anyone have an idea of how to get to that content without being able to start the drive as a master?
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2010, 14:35:22 by savedbygrace »

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
Re: Accessing hidden OFP files with HDD as slave
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2010, 23:03:44 »
No sir. Typically, folks install Operating systems with the Motherboard that they intend to run them on. In my case, my OS was installed on the mobo in my computer that is down at the moment. I transferred the HDD to my wifes pc and inserted it as a slave drive in order to be able to access the files on it. Because of this, the OS on my HDD will not go through the boot process and not have certain features available.

Folks who have owned Vista and Operation Flashpoint, know that user made missions were placed in another hidden folder inside the Operation Flashpoint directory and listed as compatible files on the top bar. XP never hid those files but rather left them inside the Operation Flashpoint folder. But since my OS has not officially booted up on my wifes PC(I presume that's the reason), then the option to access those compatible files in Vista are not available when accessing that drive manually from the computer directory.

I have searched and found the hidden folder manually by using the directory to pull it up but for some reason, all files are empty when I do it that way. It's as if the OS must allocate compatible files during startup otherwise they remain hidden.

I'm frustrated only because all of my OFP custom scripting was spread out in multiple test missions residing in that folder as well as the update for my Kolgujev Contract and other missions that were WIP. If I can get that HDD to boot up in my wife's PC, I'd be able to grab all of those files and relocate them. But my last attempt at a boot with that drive on this PC was just a black screen. The OS didn't recognize the hardware I presume.

Any ideas folks?

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2010, 10:21:26 »
One thing you can try is to use some filerecovery software, those might bypass the "OS ownage".
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2010, 01:55:54 »
Yeah, I have the same type of issue sometimes accessing files I get from downloading usermade mission from the internet, they end up going somewhere I can't find them, like a domination mission or something, how do you find those?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 01 Dec 2010, 15:55:00 »
Are you hijacking my thread?  :dunno:

No just kidding. You have to make a mental note of where you are downloading the file to. (In Vista)Try Start>>Your user name>>Downloads. All files are downloaded to there unless you change the directory.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec 2010, 20:45:47 »
well, hijacking is a little extreme  :dunno:, maybe borrowing..Ok I'll check it out...

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
Re: Accessing hidden OFP files with HDD as slave(SOLVED)
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:34:54 »
I was able to retrieve the files I needed by allowing the search feature to sift through the entire index of the drive for specific files. The disadvantage to that is that you must know the file name. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the names of all of the WIP mission folders that I had created. Fortunately, all I had to do was type in the island extension names and it brought up every file with that extension or phrase in it. So, this topic is solved. Thanks for your replies lads.