Missions Depot > OFP - Reviewed Missions

(Review Completed) [SP] The Red Grinder

<< < (2/8) > >>

Walter_E_Kurtz:
OK. I installed the three required addons and started the mission. I managed to get halfway through this, before being killed by a landmine (or rather a trigger, probably). Here's what I think needs dealing with:

Red Wolf
   - there's no explanation of who/what they are or what they will do once I give them the order to Go.
   - I think you should synchronise their latter waypoints to the objective triggers, then they'd keep up with the player and not move too far ahead of him.

Support
   - there is none! Why no Repair trucks in the base south of Levie? Why doesn't this base and Levie look occupied?
   - My understanding is that if you place support vehicles (ie. Repair / Rearm / Refuel trucks and maybe even BMP Ambulances) and give them a Support waypoint, the player will be able to call them to his position. Of course, Red Wolf might monopolise them.

Triggers
   - last loon hunts are no fun in tanks. It would help the mission flow if it was possible to move on while one or two Americans were still alive at each objective. It would be in keeping with the doctrine that infantry should assist tanks by mopping up the remaining enemy soldiers.
   - amend the condition for the triggers as follows
--- Code: ---("alive _x" count thislist) <= 2
--- End code ---

Krieg:
Thank you for beta test, Walter!

--- Quote ---Red Wolf
   - there's no explanation of who/what they are or what they will do once I give them the order to Go.
   - I think you should synchronise their latter waypoints to the objective triggers, then they'd keep up with the player and not move too far ahead of him.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I should mention them in briefing. And also do synchronization thing.

--- Quote ---Support
   - there is none! Why no Repair trucks in the base south of Levie? Why doesn't this base and Levie look occupied?
   - My understanding is that if you place support vehicles (ie. Repair / Rearm / Refuel trucks and maybe even BMP Ambulances) and give them a Support waypoint, the player will be able to call them to his position. Of course, Red Wolf might monopolise them.
--- End quote ---

There actually is a repair and ammo truck in enemy base at Durras, but since they are likely to be destroyed, I will do support thing.

--- Quote ---Triggers
   - last loon hunts are no fun in tanks. It would help the mission flow if it was possible to move on while one or two Americans were still alive at each objective. It would be in keeping with the doctrine that infantry should assist tanks by mopping up the remaining enemy soldiers.
   - amend the condition for the triggers as follows
Code:

--- Code: ---("alive _x" count thislist) <= 2
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

That is another thing in "to-do" list now.

--- Quote ---I managed to get halfway through this, before being killed by a landmine (or rather a trigger, probably).
--- End quote ---

Heh, there were actually few indications that that town is actually a mine-field. It was deserted, and if you looked closely, you could see few landmines on road.

Anyways, thanks for beta test :good:!

Edit: New version is up!

Walter_E_Kurtz:
Testing version 0.2 beta. I'd like to draw your attention to the following:

Briefing
   - spelling is inconsistent: sometimes correct, sometimes wrong. eg. southern, Vernon
   - the precision is not natural or reasonable. Scholastically it may be admirable, but it's not how things pan out, for instance:

It is easier to count soldiers than their weapons.
at least six Anti-Tank infantry   ---> at least half a dozen infantry armed with anti-tank weapons

You never meet statisticians in real life (Well done for adding up to 100%, but where is the excluded third?)
I give us 75% of defeat and 25% of victory   ---> Our odds/chances of victory are, perhaps, one in four

Out of Area trigger
   - these are the wrong way round, so the mission ends before the warning is received

Durras Trigger
   - I got a nasty surprise in that, after this objective was marked as done, the infantry squad mounted a relatively succesful counter-attack. Consider making the trigger area slightly larger and adding some more LAW soldiers to the squad.
   - on second thoughts, maybe leave it as it is.

Support Waypoints
   - The support group remained stuck behind the woods and did nothing to assist me. I'm not quite sure what the problem was: that their first waypoint was to 'Hold' or that this waypoint was placed over one of the units.
   - I'd suggest moving them behind the players starting point and using only 'Move' and 'Support' waypoints (Behaviour: Careless, Speed: Full).
   - If you want to speed up how quickly they reach the player, they could be teleported beyond the road-block. Ask if you need this explained (Basically, place markers where they should appear and use a setPos getMarkerPos a_place)

Chat on Requesting Assistance
   - it still could do with some acknowledgement that Red Wolf or support units are on their way.
   - try the following. Write this in the init line of the leader of the four T72s

redwolf = group this

then call the next script from Radio Alpha ( [] exec "RedWolf.sqs" )
--- Code: (RedWolf.sqs) ---player sideChat "Red Wolf. Red Wolf. You may begin your advance. Over."
~3
(leader redwolf) sideChat "This is Red Wolf. We are getting under way. Over."
~3
player sideChat "Acknowledged, Red Wolf. Out."
exit
--- End code ---

Edit: (Forgot to add)
Casualties of War
   - if you don't fancy having the Russians occupy the base south of Levie, why not have a few wrecks (jeep and m113) strewn about.
   - as in The Final Stand, they could also be incorporated into the Americans' defensive lines.

Krieg:
Thanks for the test.

--- Quote ---Briefing
   - spelling is inconsistent: sometimes correct, sometimes wrong. eg. southern, Vernon
   - the precision is not natural or reasonable. Scholastically it may be admirable, but it's not how things pan out, for instance:

It is easier to count soldiers than their weapons.
at least six Anti-Tank infantry   ---> at least half a dozen infantry armed with anti-tank weapons
--- End quote ---

I'll try to fix spelling and KGB Intel Report.

--- Quote ---Out of Area trigger
   - these are the wrong way round, so the mission ends before the warning is received

--- End quote ---

Fixed that, I still can't believe I made them opposite of needed sizes (aka warning trigger outside of ending trigger is useless pretty much).

--- Quote ---Durras Trigger
   - I got a nasty surprise in that, after this objective was marked as done, the infantry squad mounted a relatively succesful counter-attack. Consider making the trigger area slightly larger and adding some more LAW soldiers to the squad.
   - on second thoughts, maybe leave it as it is.
--- End quote ---

I agree more with "leave as it is" option, because this adds a bit of realism at least.

--- Quote ---Support Waypoints
   - The support group remained stuck behind the woods and did nothing to assist me. I'm not quite sure what the problem was: that their first waypoint was to 'Hold' or that this waypoint was placed over one of the units.
   - I'd suggest moving them behind the players starting point and using only 'Move' and 'Support' waypoints (Behaviour: Careless, Speed: Full).
   - If you want to speed up how quickly they reach the player, they could be teleported beyond the road-block. Ask if you need this explained (Basically, place markers where they should appear and use a setPos getMarkerPos a_place)

--- End quote ---

Did you use your radio? Anyways I did it like that in order to prevent them from being monopolized from both player and Red Wolf. I'll do teleport thingy.

--- Quote ---
Chat on Requesting Assistance
   - it still could do with some acknowledgement that Red Wolf or support units are on their way.
   - try the following. Write this in the init line of the leader of the four T72s
--- End quote ---

Done.

--- Quote ---Casualties of War
   - if you don't fancy having the Russians occupy the base south of Levie, why not have a few wrecks (jeep and m113) strewn about.
   - as in The Final Stand, they could also be incorporated into the Americans' defensive lines.
--- End quote ---

On to-do list.

Edit: I'm having a little scripting problem.

--- Code: ("supportmovetoplayer.sqs") ---_cam = cam1 camcreate [0,0,0]
_cam camsettarget player
_cam cameraeffect [Internal, Back]
titlecut [" ", "BLACK IN",2]
~3
a setPos getMarkerPos a
b setPos getMarkerPos b
c setPos getMarkerPos c
~1
titlecut [" ", "BLACK OUT",2]
camdestroy _cam
--- End code ---

For editing purposes, I edited Durras objective trigger to be activated by EAST once not present. Activated it and got disappointed. Unit C (aka refuel truck) did not teleport. Instead I got error "type object..." and forgot the rest. Can someone please fix this script?

zwobot:
Nice to see an armour mission again! But where is the download link for the actual mission?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version