Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Extending the number of maximum groups  (Read 1515 times)

Offline DjTano

• Members
Extending the number of maximum groups
« on: 27 Jun 2009, 19:06:32 »
Hey guise,

lately ive been experimenting with placing individual units on rooftops and such, but i have encountered a big problem

the game sees each unit as a different group, and therefore it will only let me place a small number of them individually

is there any way to extend the number of maximum groups?

or some other kind of solution (maybe making individual soldiers NOT count as groups)?

Walter_E_Kurtz

Re: Extending the number of maximum groups
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2009, 00:09:25 »
My understanding is that the limit was 63 groups per side. I suppose that, depending on what other groups on that side are doing, you may not be able to place as many individuals as you want.

Assuming it's a very simple set-up: American cowboys riding into a Russian-held town -

set the Resistance side to be friendly to East
place a Resistance Officer with a high rank near each individual and set his "probability of presence" to zero
press F2 'Groups'
left-click-and-hold on the individual, dragging a line to the non-present officer
once released, they should now be grouped together.

In this way you can add 63 more groups considered to be on the Resistance side, hostile to West.

More complicated methods would be to:
group individuals together but use commands such as setPos and commandMove to get them where you want them, but that risks the AI screwing it up.

use scripting to peel individuals off from a distant group of reinforcements and setPos them into position once the number of groups on that side has been reduced.

Offline DjTano

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2009, 02:52:47 »
haha, i am actually doing a mission as resistance fighting blufor, so i doubt that method will work

BUT

thank you anyway, i will use it when i do other missions

Offline birdy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2009, 06:16:27 »
Do the same thing then, but make then freindly to WEST instead. funny thing about resistance is, they go both ways.  :shhh:

Offline DjTano

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2009, 13:39:26 »
hold up, i am playing as resistance fighting west, therefore i cannot make them friendly with each other, so i think this method doesnt work if playing as resistance

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2009, 15:21:35 »
 ???

Sooo....

set the Resistance side to be friendly to East
place a Resistance East Officer with a high rank near each individual and set his "probability of presence" to zero
press F2 'Groups'
left-click-and-hold on the (Resistance) individual, dragging a line to the non-present (East) officer
once released, they should now be grouped together.

In this way you can add 63 more groups (East) considered to be on the Resistance side, hostile to West.

Or am I missing something?  :dunno:

Offline DjTano

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2009, 01:16:50 »
will the now "east" soldiers not fight the original west soldiers with this technique?

Offline firegraphite

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:15:06 »
uhm... perhaps here:
resistance friendly to west,

then the player's (resistance) group would be grouped to a nonexistent east officer. That way, they become east and any other resistance forces would be added to the opfor.

If you want them all to look like west units, perhaps have some west soldiers grouped to a nonexistent resistance officer as well. I hope that would work...

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2009, 08:42:08 »
East will always be hostile to West (in OFP at least). Only Resistance can be affiliated with either side - or neither.

The only way you will prove this either way is to test it.

Offline DjTano

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2009, 10:41:57 »
yea i found the answer to be the simplest i could think of:

simply keep the "east" soldiers away from the original west soldiers, this way they wont fight each other, and setting resistance friendly to nobody will make them both attack resistance, giving the illusion that there are like 1.000.000 west soldiers :D

anyhow, thanks for the help on this