Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Importing terrain using STRM3 (90m) files...  (Read 1967 times)

Offline MajorHurt

• Members
Importing terrain using STRM3 (90m) files...
« on: 07 Sep 2008, 22:06:30 »
Does anyone know how to to subnet and import STRM3 .hgt files into Wilbur and then into Wrpedit?

I have MicroDEM 10.0, Wilbur, and WRP 0.950...and haven't been able to get it right yet.  >:(

I'm able to subnet the file and export it to a dem, but when I try to bring it into Wilbur it shows up as blank.

Any suggestions, tips, hints, scornful reproaches would be welcome  :good:

Thanks!

Cheers,
MH

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: Importing terrain using STRM3 (90m) files...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2008, 22:32:19 »
You would, I think, be better off with 30m DEM data, 90m data doesn't have many data points for detail.

Have you tried the DEM to WrpEdit tutorial in the Editors Depot?

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline MajorHurt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2008, 23:02:23 »
I agree with you about the 30m dems...

Unfortunately, I've been as of yet unable to find 30m DEMS for the international locales I'm interested in, such as Vietnam. Most of them are DTED level 0/1K files, and completely useless. The STRM3s are the best I've been able to come up with so far.

Any suggestions where I might find level2/30m dems of places like Vietnam and Iraq? I actually have the paper 1:50,000 topo maps of the places I'd like to recreate...

In the meantime, I'll check out the tut you were nice enough to a) make and b) link me to...  :D

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,
MH

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2008, 23:37:07 »
Unfortunately the only source of free 30m DEMs I know about are those available of the United States, good luck finding better data.

Planck

Offline MajorHurt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2008, 05:36:03 »
Thanks for your help... :)

But this is just looking like a no-go. I'm able to convert the STRM3 to a MD DEM, and subset it; but the USGS Dem file you can export from the version of MD I'm using (v10, I believe) doesn't work in Wilbur. When I try to convert the MD DEM to a Terragen file with MDEMTER3 (couldn't find MDEMTER4) it doesn't read the file.

And in the version of MicroDem I'm using the resampling is handled differently. It's now FILE>SAVE DEM>REINTERPOLATE, UTM...then enter 50 for the spacing, and that's it.

So either I'm using the wrong versions of the software; or I'm missing some key point of your tut, and all posts on the subject; or this just won't fly.

Cheers,
MH

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2008, 11:41:54 »
I have a few conversion utilities on my hard drive I could pack up and let you try out, alternately, have you tried this site:

http://www.terrainmap.com/

Lots of useful stuff there.   :yes:

Planck

Offline MajorHurt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2008, 20:25:12 »
Cool beans, man. I eventually figured out that I had to crop it better. Still kinda flat, but not entirely useless.

Just largely useless.  :D

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It's all very addictive. lol

Cheers,
MH