Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP.COOP/AD] War Machine  (Read 3868 times)

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
[SP.COOP/AD] War Machine
« on: 28 Aug 2008, 01:35:16 »
Title: War Machine

Author: SPhoenix
Mission Version: 1.00
Download:
 War Machine SP
 War Machine COOP
Story:
Secure our emergency supply lines by destroying the coastal artillery threatening them!

Gametype: SP/COOP
# of players: 1 (SP), up to 15 players (COOP)
Required Game/Patch: ArmA 1.14
Addons:
   Operation Frenchpoint (Armes, Infanterie, Mer)
   EditorUpdate102
   Gigan's SCUD

Special Features:
Original voices in French.
A story-driven mission with various gameplay sequences and timed objectives!
Secondary objectives to unlock.

This is a COOP mission I had created in French and put it into English afterwards; I later turned it in an SP mission. Objectives are therefore a bit different to better suit the SP needs.
However this mission lacks several assets that would allow for it to become really enjoyable:
1) Full cinematic intro / cutscenes
  If you want to help with this, you may reply here or MP me. I am a terrible camera scripter  >:(
2) Further work on the mission to iron out bugs/optimizations

Thank you for your interest in this mission. I hope you will enjoy it!

SPhoenix
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 16:52:28 by [FLS]SPhoenix »

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
Re: [SP.COOP/AD] War Machine
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2008, 12:54:23 »
Could you possibly post a link to which OFrP and EditorUpdate (there are so damn many of them) that you mean? I could find the SCUD ok, but the others are harder. Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, I found out which ones were needed through ArmAHolic. I'll post the links for those who will also want to test this:

OFrP Objects Pack v1.0
OFrP Infantry Pack v1.0
OFrP weapon Pack v1.0
OFrP Navy Pack v1.0
Operation Frenchpoint hotfix
SCUD - Nuclear Explosion v1.25
LowFly EditorUpdate v1.02

And here are the ArmAHolic mirrors for this mission if you find downloading from FileFront too slow:
SP Version
MP Version

Hope you don't mind me posting these, mate. If you do just say so and I'll remove them.

Will beta test this now and give a full report soon. :)
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2008, 13:14:26 by Zipper5 »

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2008, 15:46:20 »
You are the best man!

Thank you for posting all the links and for testing it. I'm looking forward to your report!
However my graphics card just burned this morning - jumped from 60°C to 135°C when launching ArmA with no explanations.
I ordered a 4870X2 but it'll be roughly 48 hours before I can do anything on ArmA...

You might as well take all the time you need  :D

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:54:12 »
War Machine (SP Version) by SPhoenix
v1.00

Played with:
ArmA v1.14 & Queen's Gambit
Required AddOns
Regular difficulty modified to Veteran difficulty settings. (Allows more than one save game)

Package
Well... it's only the .PBO file from the FileFront link. I'd recommend zipping it up with the readme and perhaps a few promotion pictures.

Intro
You're right. :P It is kind of lacking. I could help you out with that if you'd like. It didn't give me any real idea as to what the story is, and there were points where the people just stopped and you could clearly see the SLA in the background but the SLA nor the French and US soldiers opened fire on them. Was kind of odd, but I realize this was originally made as a MP mission (and for good reason, heh).

Briefing
For some reason this mission took an unusually long time to load, but I found out why later...
The briefing broken down into numerous sections detailed appropriately. Not too much, either. There was only one mistake in the Background section where it's "against russians" not Russians. I also found it a bit strange how it said "Artillery position #1, #2, #3" but they were not marked on the map. Didn't know if they were all in Alpha's designated area or the other 2 as well.

Mission
The beginning of the mission was fairly boring for me. I didn't know if you had placed enemy patrols in the forest, but I did not run into any of them. Just walked straight through the forest heading to Alpha's objective. Once we reached the objective, we finally got engaged. It was here that I could see this is really designed for MP, not SP. My squad was quickly cut down and so was I. Upon reloading, one of my soldiers ended up firing his rocket (yay for ArmA's AI obsession with their AT tubes and not rifles...) and... ArmA crashed to desktop. Seems that the save game bug was apparent. I re-launched ArmA and every time I tried to load my last save game, ArmA would crash. I really hate that bug...

So, obviously, I wasn't able to finish the mission (sadly). It started off quite un-eventful and I didn't really get to play the main parts of it, sadly. Perhaps there's no way to fix it, but I don't know if the MP version has the same problem. Sorry, mate. :confused:

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2008, 05:35:44 »
Oh boy  :confused:

I don't really know what that savegame bug is all about - I don't know if it's my fault...
Ok let's do this in order.

1°) Introduction
Well I told you ^^
However on my computer they do fire on the enemy.
What is supposed to show in the intro are small units being cut off in the North and needing to regroup and resupply.
If you want to help with it oh sir be my guest  :D

2°) Briefing
Noted for the russian thing.
About the markers: I'm quite sure they're there... very weird. I'll add them again as for some obscure reason they've disappeared.

3°) Mission
There are indeed patrols in the forest.
However early tests show that too many soldiers in there ruin the mission right at the beginning...
I'll add some more though.
As for your squad being cut down at the first target: there are only just about 4 soldiers IN the camp. You probably engaged the patrols around which are quite big. Avoid them by running along the shore makes it very easy and you can get in the camp fairly easily without being detected. After that, it's just a matter of settling down for a counterattack.
I will  reduce the patrol size to a regular patrol - not an entire group.
Thank you for your help  :)

Just FYI, the 3 camps are far from each other. I may just add a quick transport script to make it less boring...
And the real good part comes after you've cleared the camps.
You then have two different gameplay sequences.
I hope you can find out about them... eventually. lol

I just wish I knew what that save bug was all about...

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2008, 08:55:10 »
I believe the save game bug is caused when ArmA tries to load very large amounts of data from the save game file. Overloads it and causes it to crash. I remember there being a way to work around it, however, and that was letting the player save game through use of the radio with the saveGame command. That might work.

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #6 on: 03 Sep 2008, 19:18:07 »
I'm still waiting on that graphics card...
I'm really sorry, my hands are tied  :no:

In the mean time, however, you can watch the outro - made possible by Mandoble's fantastic MandoSplash!
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=tgYslPcMyhU
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2008, 19:38:58 by [FLS]SPhoenix »

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2008, 19:28:34 »
Hello people!

After this rather long time without the capability to edit my mission, I now have a graphics card.
I shall start working on the mission rightaway!

First and foremost I will make sure the points made before are fixed.
I will look more into the savegame bug!

But remember! I need camera scripter(s)!
You will have to make a whole new introduction, as well as cutscenes as the story unveils.
You can PM me anytime, if you want you can add me on MSN for that purpose.

EDIT:
You may find the latest version HERE!
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 07:33:07 by [FLS]SPhoenix »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2008, 12:18:21 »
It would make more sense to update the link in the first post rather than make a different link in another post.

Many people will end up downloading the earlier version in your first post rather than the latest version.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2008, 16:53:27 »
I'm sorry, I was in a hurry this morning. Missed my bus.
Anyways, it's done!

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2008, 23:35:48 »
I'd like to just do a little up on this mission.
Thank you  :whistle:

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2008, 07:58:24 »
unable to download files from file front...

Offline SPhoenix

• Members
  • Team BAC
    • BAC Clan Site
« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2008, 21:05:09 »
Really? It works just fine with me...  :no: