Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Searching for islands  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
Searching for islands
« on: 23 Aug 2008, 15:08:03 »
Ok here is the thing I am making a dynamic mission that requires allot of object ID's to direct spawned AI about the map. I have all the scripts in place but, once I start adding to the map in the mission editor I cannot change islands e.g. megre the mission into a different island. (this is done to cut down added objects for lag reasons)

I have loads of Island addons but none are quite right.

The AEC islands are the sort of thing i want... But the whole lot is just a wee bit too big. Where as Nogova is about the right size but the bridge makes the AI tricky to manipulate.
I have an island i cannot find a link for (it is on my HD called Saint David this is a nogova sized island with nice towns and no river).

I have experimented with Wrp but i am rubbish at making a decent island, mostly i just make a mess of the standard islands.

Does anyone know of a good island, perhaps with two islands of equal size on one map (no bridges unless the island is really awesome)?
Or any Wrp editors that fancy a challenge?
something with two airports and plenty of military bases? 
not too many addons please...

Kendo

Walter_E_Kurtz

Re: Searching for islands
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2008, 17:21:04 »
I have loads of Island addons but none are quite right.
Could you briefly list the ones you've already decided against?

I have an island i cannot find a link for (it is on my HD called Saint David this is a nogova sized island with nice towns and no river).
Saint David Island by Bloody Days Mod.

I reckon we could do with a few more specifications, to help you narrow it down:
I assume you want it to be green with woods; rather than desert.
Nogova is 10km by 10km IIRC. You want a that sized blob (or two), no intricate peninsulae?
Two airports, eh? I thought it was possible for AI to land at only one airport on each map (might be wrong though). Hope that doesn't matter, or you can script something.
Does it need a coastline, or would one of those solid landmasses do? Do you have any need for a port?
If there's going to be fighting just about anywhere, I assume you want only small scattered villages rather than big, urban centres - to stop units getting stuck.
If AI has to wander about at random, you'd presumably prefer low, rolling hills to full-on mountain ranges.
Do you want the look of any particular era? Not WWII I suppose, but latter half of the 20th century or early 21st?
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2008, 17:31:58 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2008, 12:26:19 »
Ok wow, that was a detailed response I wasn't expecting.

To narrow it down I would like two islands, not soild land masses.
Scattered villages with rolling hills green, open country side with more deciduous (like Nogova) forest rather than coniferous.

Era: well CWC style maps are fine

Two airports for the look of the island, not necessarily for AI landing autopilot.

Anyhow I think I have settled for the AEC islands and just have to make the project more ambitious.... 

Thanks anyway Walter

Kendo

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2008, 02:29:04 »
The closest I've come to a recommendation is Rezina Island.

BI Forums thread

News page & Download at GamePark.Cz

Pros:
   - beautiful. Two large, damn fine, natural-looking islands connected by a long bridge.
   - very little lag. Performance comparable to Nogova.

Cons:
   - large download and fair number of addons required. But the addons are common and used by most other islands.
   - only one airport (on the western island). The eastern one has a port and a fair sized military base with helicopter landing pads.
   - not many full-on military bases. But, like Nogova, plenty of industrial sites and ruined fortifications that could conceivably be turned into military encampments.

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2008, 11:56:18 »
Thanks I will check it out... sounds good... i have started making my mission on AEC. But will look at this too I am not too far gone to change islands yet!!!

Kendo

p.s. Thanks for being a loyal OPFr'er not many of us left... but with the credit crunch maybe less people will be able to upgrade like me... otherwise i would have been an AA'er long ago!

p.p.s Ok I had a look at the island... looks great.. I downloaded it... however, even tho it uses common addon's (which i have) I want to use as little addons as possible for my mission.. so i think i will stick with AEC... thanks again
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2008, 12:21:24 by Kendo J »