Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Simple "sidechat", "sideradio" combinations  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
Simple "sidechat", "sideradio" combinations
« on: 18 Aug 2008, 15:51:22 »
The simplest script I wrote for a mission yet the one that has stumped me...

In the script sideradio and sidechats work together. Many of the radio messages are in the stingtable so don't need text (sidechat) to correspond with the sideradio radio message.

However, I have a simple script that will call help on the sideradio. it combines numbers and letters of seperate soundfiles and the script reads something like this

(leader G1) sideradio "needhelp"
(leader G1) sideradio "at"
(leader G1) sideradio "A"
(leader G1) sideradio "A"
(leader G1) sideradio "3"
(leader G1) sideradio "2"
(leader G1) sidechat "Need help at Alpha alpha three two"

the return is a broken radio broadcast with radio squeal after each word. But the text that appears is as shown above.
How do I combine the "sideradio" broadcast so it has a continuous messege rather than ones broken between each word.

Regards
Kendo 

p.s.
Also is it possible to have a script similar to this that will report enemy units from any map grid coord, not just preplotted ones? I know how to do it with "%1" type scripts for a simple sidechat... but combining sounds I cannot do...

Walter_E_Kurtz

Re: Simple "sidechat", "sideradio" combinations
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2008, 17:03:32 »
Do you have ENABLE_RADIO_VOICES enabled in your GRAA config?

Search the GRAA config.cpp for #ifdef ENABLE_RADIO_VOICES. It should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
#ifdef ENABLE_RADIO_VOICES
{
micOut[]={"Mic_Out1"};
micOut1[]={"static\over01"};
micOut2[]={"static\over02"};
micOut3[]={"static\over03"};

Try swapping it for the Disabled Radio voices version:
{
micOut[]={""};
micOut1[]={""};
micOut2[]={""};
micOut3[]={""};

Only a crazy idea - you try it at your own risk!  :whistle:

The really elegant solution, though it would require a re-write of the script, would be to somehow prod (leader G1) with a "Where are you?" question. Then the course of events would be something like:

(Leader G1) sideradio "needhelp
(Leader G1) sidechat "Need help"
_invisible prod_
(Leader G1): "Position Aa32"

I strongly suspect that this won't work, unfortunately. I don't know how to make the prod and, because (Leader G1) is in a different group, I doubt the player would hear him.
When you play the game, you do sometimes see other group leaders instucting members to find medics in blue, ie. through sidechat. I'm afraid that's probably the only command it works for.

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2008, 18:14:53 »
no the graa config is not what i mean for this...
just the basic script that calls the enemy positions..

anyway i know what you mean and i have tried it... but alas it doesn't work... will keep trying tho

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2008, 15:04:05 »
OK. A more sane answer than last time, but it still might have unintended implications:

I've dePBO'd your Kolgujev Redux mission, mainly to get at the sounds in ogg format. You've got them defined in description.ext under CfgRadio. I suggest copying the grid-ref ones (Alpha to Juliet and zero to nine) to CfgSounds. Then, rather than having "(leader G1) sideradio ...", make it the "player say ...". The player should hear the voices in their head, but hopefully not realise it's not the radio as they'd still get the text through sidechat.

I tested this briefly for myself. Description.ext:
class CfgSounds
{
sounds[] = {};   

class Alpha
{
name = "A";
sound[] = {"\sound\alpha.ogg", db-40, 1.0};
titles[] = {};
};

class Bravo
{
name = "B";
sound[] = {"\sound\BRAVO.ogg", db-40, 1.0};
titles[] = {};
};

};

AB.sqs:
aP say "Alpha"
~0.5
aP say "Bravo"

exit

Obviously the player is named aP. AB.sqs is run from a trigger waiting for "Radio Alpha, Repeatedly".

It needs a bit of tweaking for the pause between words, and "bravo" seems to be uttered more softly than "alpha", so maybe it's volume should be raised.

PS. In the readme for Kolgujev Redux, I think you should state the name of the savegame file (autosave.fps) and its location (<Operation Flashpoint>\Users\<Your name>\Saved\missions\01_KEN_DYN.cain)

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2008, 15:13:48 »
Sounds like it will work, the theory is fine
However, there wont be any radio static at the beginning and end of each message.

I quite like the static sound.... but i will give it a go..

I am still working on this but at the moment I am looking at making a concise action bar menu for your squad as putting the HQ calls into the 0-0-1 radio is easy. The action bar menu is difficult and I haven't quite figured out how to make sub menus work the way I want.

any ideas?

kendo

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2008, 17:51:51 »
Sounds like it will work, the theory is fine
However, there wont be any radio static at the beginning and end of each message.

Please note that I said to copy the useful sounds (using the same naming convention) under CfgSounds. I would have thought it possible to interleave the sounds to your requirements, eg:
(leader G1) sideradio "needhelp"
(leader G1) sideradio "at"
player say "A"
player say "A"
player say "3"
(leader G1) sideradio "2"
(leader G1) sidechat "Need help at Alpha alpha three two"

The result might be something like "<krr> Need help <krr> at <krr> A A 3 <krr> 2 <krr>."

I am still working on this but at the moment I am looking at making a concise action bar menu for your squad as putting the HQ calls into the 0-0-1 radio is easy. The action bar menu is difficult and I haven't quite figured out how to make sub menus work the way I want.

any ideas?

Once upon a time, I made, in my eyes, some corrections to a mission called "Taliban Bodies". That used the action menu to control 3 squads (well four actually, but there were no units in the fourth), but somewhat more clumsily than the Command Engine. My notes from the readme:
Recompiled, addons required:
   SEB Nam Pack 2
   Desert Malden
   SEB Special Forces UH-1 Huey
   MT-LB by Project Lavos
   ITA F-16 (includes pilot)
   ITA Shelter v1
   Desert East Pilot
   Desert Pack beta by Rastic & Eamoe (needed for Desert Tents)

Edits made:
   removed BAS MH-47E Chinook + SOAR (in turn require JAM2) from intro -> CH-47D
   Stopped debug hint appearing by editing (remarking) part of initcontrol.sqs
      also voided Group 4
   Edited Radio Delta (Artillery) so that it can be called repeatedly
      Edited Init2.sqs (called by Radio Delta) so that artillery is not refilled to 50
         (original "ArtAmmo = 50" called in Init.sqs)
   Edited cam1.sqs so introductory text displays

_Taking_Control_
   This option appears once in the radio menu
   Once called, it runs initcontrol.sqs, which adds four lines to the action menu - Groups 1, 2 & 3 and <Void>
   Groups selected through the action menu cause actions to be erased and replaced according to action.sqs
      Once action command is given, action list returns to Groups 1, 2 & 3 and <Void>

As you can see, a pain in the bum list of addons. ITA F16 is only needed for the intro, and most of the others can probably be replaced if you edit the mission.sqm. It's 1.5 Mb in size, but that's mostly a music file. Let me know if you want it all, or just the script parts, posted somewhere.