Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Reuse static weapon caused CTD  (Read 1629 times)

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
Reuse static weapon caused CTD
« on: 26 May 2008, 12:50:41 »

I made a mission where the player have to eliminate an enemy arty battery and then he call for friendly crew and they place the gunner position in the cannons (M119). Before this action if the player save the game, can load again normally (eg. if died). BUT AFTER this action if the player load a saved game, ArmA will crash. Always!

Finally I solved it, but ugly: before the friendley crew place their state, I deleteVehicle all M119 and createVehicle very new ones. It's ugly, because the player can detect this action. With this replace everything works.

My question is: is this an ArmA bug? Can or have I report it?

Summary: the problem - I guess - the enemy gunners died IN the cannon and they was not unassign, because the player (and his team) kill them. And then the new - but friendly - guys place this same place in the cannon.
Of course I tried to unassign the dead crew, but it's pointless (didn't solve the problem - same CTD).
Fix bayonet!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
Re: Reuse static weapon caused CTD
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 14:09:33 »

hi bardosy, whats your vers of Arma?
Firstly try moving the savegame tigger,
Secondly me and Denz both had a ctd with a ofp camp, but it both of us only had it once. the fact is it was there and others had it too........ funny....... :dunno:
Thirdly I had probs with Arma tell I upgraded my pc.
Also after beta 1.09 I never had any save game probs or weapon loss on retries.
Then again I bought the European Atari ver 1.04
I think sometimes there is an easy way out of this,,,, many gamers have had these type probs
Again try moving the savegame just a bit and see what happens. Or even delay for move that unassign to some point .... [If you can without losing gameplay]
i ran 1.12 til 1.14 came out!
Cheers schuler
Semper Fi

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 15:38:42 »
This problem is very constant. Well, not only once, but every times. And still exists in 1.14 and 1.08. And I tried it in my older PC and now my new PC too. (Not a few parts are new, but a completly new PC.)

If I attach here this (not solved) version of my mission, it can help? (But you can kill an arty battery to check the CTD.... It's about 5 minutes. Oh and then you have to wait for the friendly crew. It's more 3 minutes. And after they sit in the guns, you save and load, and ArmA CTD).
Fix bayonet!

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 16:30:14 »
Is there any way that you could script the friendly gunners to be unassigned when you save and reassigned when you restore?
urp!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2008, 16:54:33 »
If I attach here this (not solved) version of my mission, it can help?

put it up!  ;) might want to move it to beta testing arma, mission of campaign.
and one question the' gunner position in a M119'
is he set to always there!, ‘in probability %100!' ,,, I hope you know what I mean with unit!

I have played your camp estrella, I think 3 missions
Everything plays well, just needs some touch ups,,,,,,, I will relpey in your camp tread about them.
  just d/l'd the new ver.
Is there any way that you could script the friendly gunners to be unassigned when you save and reassigned when you restore?

@Pnut that sounds like a hard one to do!!!!!!! but if i works :yes:
i would just try moving the save game and see what happens, ,,,,,,,,, cant hurt!
cheers Schuler
Semper Fi

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2008, 00:03:36 »
Actually, bardosy, instead of putting up your mission for dl, why not try recreating the situation in an empty mission where there is nothing but a couple of guns, the gunners getting killed and then replaced, upon which there is a save/load situation? There's a pretty good chance this "recreation" might not crash at all! Which means it might be something else causing the crash. And even if it's just the ghost in the machine, maybe copy-pasting the new, identical, but noncrashing solution might work..and if it still crashes, we'll have an easily accessible example, AND it's something that can easily be reproduced = can be sent to BIS for fixing.

I read somewhere about someone who had like a single unit or something that consistently crashed the game, even if it was copy-pasted into other missions and whatnot...sometimes there are just curses in the game, I guess.  :dunno:

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2008, 03:03:47 »
thanks Wolfrug good idea
@bardosy to make my post a bit clearer what i am saying is "you have made a mighty fine bug somehow!"
Semper Fi

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2008, 07:49:02 »
Wolfrug: this situation is in the begining of that mission. So actually I did it. I just move the player to close to the arty base and delete the additional guards from the base. So you have much easier way to test as the player in the real mission.

Schuler: When you downloaded the campaign (Estrella), if you check the last modification date of the Estrella.pbo, and it's from the weekend, you DL-ed the last version and in it the 5th mission is the solved. But you will see, it's ugly, because the captured cannons turn in horizontal state insted of earlier vertical...

I attached the bad, test version...
Fix bayonet!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2008, 07:16:57 »
hey i see what you mean now, the canons drop.
after the savegame i made my own savegame and took the truck that arty crew drove in, move out. funny thing i got the ctd  :dunno: lol
i had alot of running progys at the time too, and i think it was my fault for the ctd!
by the way the new camp vers looks good replayed mission one, restarting that.
aslo ,Impressive , good story line, plot and nice choice in music.
Cutsences are very good,
The Spanish is great, IMO you don't need voice overs.
cheers schuler
Semper Fi

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2008, 07:53:33 »
WOW  :o Without load the saved game you got CTD?????

OFF:
Estrella is only a 1/3 campaign. This 6 missions are the 1st Part: Revolution.
The next Part will be the Intervention. And the last Part will be the Invasion.
Fix bayonet!