Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Few basic questions of mission editing  (Read 2556 times)

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
  • Me pandaren, you like me
Few basic questions of mission editing
« on: 14 Jan 2008, 16:56:56 »
Few questions I've come into when doing new missions, here we go:
1) Seized by trigger; I can't make this one work no matter what I do, could someone explain me how to do this trigger which would be triggered once the player has cleared OPFOR camp. PLayer is BLUFOR

2)I need a script to get captured soldier for your team with addoption, could someone tell how to make script and/or pm me the script needed?

3)Just making it sure in the end: If I group soldiers (no formation) with marker 20X20 square is it so they'll randomly appear on the marker?

4) How can I put soldiers smoke?

THanks, I think I'll have to ask more when I make more missions
You haven't seen the end of The Devil yet...

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: Few basic questions of mission editing
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2008, 17:29:36 »
Seized by trigger has nothing to do with side anihilation, but the feeling a side that is being seized by the other.
Seized by BLUFOR detected by OPFOR,for example, means that OPFOR units inside the area feel seized by BLUFOR team. If you get an sniper and kill all OPFOR without even been seen by SLA units, SLA will never feel "seized" by anyone. So take care when using this trigger type, as its behaviour might vary a lot even with minimal AI changes introduced by BIS in the 1.09 patch.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2008, 18:39:36 »
1) However, if you make the Seized By trigger activated by "Present" instead, it'll act sort of like you'd expect it to: Five rifleman vs. four riflemen: the five win. Four riflemen and one AT soldier vs five riflemen : the first group wins, and so on. Each unit is given some kind of value internally by the system, which is then used to calculate the Seized By properties. Tanks for instance are much more powerful than infantry, helicopters and gunships even more so. However if the tank has 0 ammunition, it won't be taken into account and so forth. Pretty intelligent, actually :)
However, if you're trying to use a Seized By trigger over an area where there're lots of enemy tanks and infantry, and the player is alone/with a small squad, you'll probably have to kill a lot of people before you get there!

2) norrin has been working on a script like that: POW Capture/Join Group Script which you might want to take a look at!

3) I don't think that's how it works. If you group soldiers with several icon-markers, they'll appear randomly at one of them at mission start. However if you want them to appear randomly within an area, you need to edit their Placement Radius (check out the picture here: Beginner's Tutorial: Units).

4) What do you mean? Do you mean how to get an AI to throw a smokegrenade or take a smoke or what? ;)

Hope that helps!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2008, 19:40:23 »
Thanks for your responses but now I'm having two problems again as doing the new chapter

1) I assumed earlier the trigger type "seized by" was meant work as when units are slain from the camp then it triggers giving player next waypoint, how do I do this `?

2)How can I make alternative waypoints (Like at OFP resistance 2-4 mission?). It shouldn't give anything else than "sidechat [Text]" and patrols moving other way around they do normally

Oh and I meant put them to smoke (Correct sentence) gigarette. It's not essential though it would make my mission look more intresting. Some kinda command right?
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2008, 07:52:32 by WinKIller0 »

Offline Loyalguard

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2008, 19:54:41 »
To make AI smoke a "cigarette", you have to use the playMove command and the appropriate move animation:

To have an AI sit and "smoke", put the following into a script (using whatever you named the unit instead of "unit").

Code: [Select]
unit playMove "AmovPsitMstpSlowWrflDnon_Smoking";

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2008, 08:17:55 »
Thank you so far, now let's ask again :-[

1) TV set, is this found from vanilla arma somewhere or do I have to edit a new one because when I try to make an intro with tvset it just throws me an error message "could not find tvset blablabla", I've try to find out where and how I can make it happen but hadn't succeed so far.

2)How can I make a trigger where player would get "HEY" message when he blows something up, ie empty tank?

Thanks again
-Wink0 is out once again

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2008, 10:21:40 »
1) If you're talking about the TV set resource (i.e. the one seen in some of the European version's cutscenes with Marian Quandt and such), then AFAIK yes, you have to grab it from someplace and put it into your mission. If you haven't got the EU version, and none of the American cutscenes have it, you can steal it from for instance O-team or Piper Warrior Tour Guide which both use it :) You can steal the description.ext entries as well on how to make it work in your mission!

2) Add an eventhandler "killed" to the tank, which checks who killed it and then transmits whatever you want. I.e:

Tank1 addeventhandler ["killed", {if ((_this select 1) == Player) then {hint "Don't destroy vehicles!"}];

Alternatively, if you want the "hey" message to appear also when the player's just generally being an ass and throwing grenades around and the like, you can use the "hit" eventhandler:

tank1 addeventhandler ["hit", {if ((_this select 1) == Player) then {hint "Don't shoot at the vehicles!"}];

Note that the "hit" eventhandler won't fire for instance if you shoot your rifle at a tank, but...yes. :)

Hope that helps!  :good:

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2008, 19:34:45 »
Now again I shall ask you some tricky questions

1) How to make a weapon selection working on brief screen/early mission start, so far I've added
class Weapons
{
class AK74
   {
     count = 1;  // This represents the value of how many of this type of weapon you will
   };
};
And it doesn't seem to be wroking. Well it doesn't throw an error message but it doesn't open any selection for my gear. solutions?

2)How to make a timer somewhere in screen addon or ascript?

3)If I want to make mission end when specific person is killed (failed and accomplished way if you may explain both)

4)Could someone explain the drop command too?

Thanks, once again, Wink0

Offline Loyalguard

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2008, 01:07:24 »
WinKIller0-

I will answer your questions in parts since they are wide ranging, so, check back here as I will update this post with the answers.

1) The code you have in the Description.ext works fine.  You are probably just not looking for the AK in the right place.  The weapons and mags you enter the in the Description.ext are made available to you during the briefing before you start the mission.  To get access to them load the mission and on the briefing pad click on the Group tab.  You will see a list of the units in the mission.  Click on your name and a gear menu will open up.  You can  then select the gear you want to start the mission with.

2) Here is a simple timer script that counts to 10 and display the time as a hint.  It is a simple for loop that displays a number in a hint, sleeps 1 second, and then repeats until it reaches the condition ({_i<11}) :

for [{_i=0}, {_i<11}, {_i=_i+1}] do
{
    hint format["%1",_i];
    sleep 1;
};

3) To end a mission when a specific person is killed, create a trigger use the alive command in the condition.  So, if you had a unit named VIP, then put this in the condition of the trigger to fire the trigger when VIP dies

!alive VIP
To tie the trigger into an objective look at this page in the beginner's tutorial: Chapter 6: Triggers

4) If you are talking about the drop command for particles, welcome to a whole new world of scripting.  Scripting particles is truly an artform.  I suggest you start here:  ParticleArray and look at some other scripts to get an idea of how particles work.  If you mean the dropWeapon action command, see: action

I hope that helps!
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2008, 01:30:16 by Loyalguard »

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2008, 08:05:28 »
Hello once again I'm in need of help, allthough this time it's more out of scripting content

1)As few you may have read there's a problems on my briefing maps in several missions. The custom gobs placed on the map show up as blue and player is most likely thrutrated with them, how do I remove them?

2)How am I able to find specific cordinates from my map? I'd need them for particles (to drop those damn uh wrecks out of the sky) but I haven't figured out how I'm supposed to find the coordinates.

3)Also I'd like to get known to the blur effects in the arma cameras, I have had read tutotrials but yet I haven't figured out how I have to use them

Thanks for your time  :)

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:05:23 »
1) Thats a personal difficulty option, you have to change certain options to a more "veteran", not entirely sure which one, but I imagine it would be "Extended Map Info".

2) Coordinates or [X,Y,Z]? If so, do a simple onMapSingleClick.
onMapSingleClick "hint format ["%1",_pos];"In this case you would simple re-write out the coordinates and use them.

3) If your talking about the anti-aliasing effects or post processing, these can be accessed via your Graphics options (Menu -> Options -> Graphics -> Advanced). Otherwise I have no-idea what your talking about, and would love to know.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:27:04 »
3./  Take a look at camSetFocus, it will give you a blurred view if you set the focus to other than the correct focus distance for the object or scene.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.