Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Total War way of deploying in ARMA ??  (Read 1380 times)

Offline panzerfausto

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Total War way of deploying in ARMA ??
« on: 11 Dec 2007, 14:42:40 »
Hello, Long time I dont post in here  :)
I need a hand with this
 I'm creating a mission and i need one player choosing spots for the other players to be placed. If possible this player will move a camera freely within his permitted area of setup clicking on one spot will teleport one unit/player/squad to that spot. I want to place units like in the Total War series.
Once the deployment has been done the ability of using the camera is lost to avoid unrealistic spotting.
Would it be possible to use CEX to do this, selecting units on the list and drop them in the desired place?

Feasible???
Thank you  :)

Offline Lurchisme

• Members
  • I'm supposed to write something here, right?
Re: Total War way of deploying in ARMA ??
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2007, 08:09:25 »
Something like this is feasible in OFP, and probabally arma... you can create a marker on the map by clicking it, and you can spawn vehicles and troops to the position of the markers...

I think the biggest problem with what your suggesting would be to 'spawn' players on location...
I havn't looked into it too much, but I think it's hard to move players around in game... You could possibly set it up so all the players spawn at base at the start of the deployment period, you use the deployment time to set up markers around the map for the players to deploy at, then once the deployment time is up, all players are killed off, and respawn at the markers.

I'm interested in setting up something like this myself at some point, but with the added feature of the commander being able to choose what units to 'buy' before deployment, based on real-world cost.
? (Newbiefactor == 1) && (Spammfactor == 1) : UserTroll = True; Player join objnull

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2007, 10:27:30 »
i think u can use da camera 4 dat.... i saw couple of satelaite scripts dat allow da player 2 move a camera around da map... so i think u can create somin similiar and use it 2 locate da location of da camera da player looks at.... spawning units is not realy a problem.... all da createvehicle/createunit commands r perfect 4 dat... ull still need some more work figuring out how not 2 put players on obstacles and stuff like dat tho...

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Surdus Priest

• Members
  • Only I can Forgive You!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2007, 22:54:36 »
unless you went into some serious dialog coding i dont think its possible to click on the screen the way you can with total war, and you defo cant drag their positions and formations like you could, but you should be able to set their position and direction, and with dialogs you could set the formation grou (not that it makes any difference..) and all the other stuff like behavoiur.  but this is something i can only see mando managing after about 3 months of intensive brainstorming (then again i could be wrong and it might be very easy).
Campaigns are hard, I'll stick with scripting for now!

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2007, 00:02:33 »
There is at least one in-mission editor that lets you place units and drag them about, so it is possible. This is designed so you add the real-time editor script while placing units and then remove these scripts when you want to play the mission; still, I see no reason why this couldn't be adapted to what you are wanting.

RealTimeEditorV3
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2007, 00:25:42 »
@ surdus... shudnt b dat hard :D :P u just create a mouse sensitive dialog  :D (donno how it scalled in dialog world) and detect mouse movments nd things around... not dat hard :D

as 4 behaviour and other stuff... dat is actualy easy (if u dont wanna spend time makin da dialog look good it shud take a day or two... if u want it 2 look good den 3 :P) d/l my mision (o-team :P) and go 2 da arm dealer and perchuase somin called "Command Visor Set" and try playing around w/ it... it doesnt have da setposing thing... but all behaviour and formation stuff is already in (and da interface looks realy good :D)

as 4 da setpos and dir... again it shudnt b so as much as i can c... only need a way 2 check where da position in da dialog/camera is pointing in da real world :D

LCD OUT
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 00:27:34 by LCD »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Surdus Priest

• Members
  • Only I can Forgive You!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2007, 00:56:15 »
im going to pretend you were telling me about how tasty a chocolate flavoured icecream with about 5 rolled biscuits, and a sugar covered strawberry on top is  :good:
Campaigns are hard, I'll stick with scripting for now!