Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Quick Missions Pack  (Read 4300 times)

(Review Completed) [SP] Quick Missions Pack
« on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:53:44 »
***Updated V 1.2. See the version history for complete details.***

This pack contains 4 single player missions.  They're not very complex or
detailed.  I initially made them to just experiment with various combat tactics
and weapons in ARMA.  They are all variations of the same mission.  Without
going into too much detail, they are all squad leader type scenarios, but
completely open ended.  You can play them however you want.  In the first 2
missions, you command a squad of Blufor soldiers.  Missions 3 and 4 are exactly
the same as missions 1 and 2, except that you play as Opfor instead of Blufor.

Compatibility:
     The release versions have only been tested on 1.08.  Other versions of the
     game should work, but earlier versions may not.

Multiplayer:
     These missions are single player only, and not meant to be played
     multiplayer.

Home Page:
     http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/misc/CSL_Quick_Missions/index.html

Required Addons:
     None.

Reccomended Addons:
     TrueView:
     http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=10e7b0ed327dd141ea1e971c738719f8;act=ST;f=70;t=64956

Modern Warfare Sound Modification:
     http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=48ebd3535d29654be16034a0f19bfef9;act=ST;f=70;t=60076

Sakura-chan's Sun and Damage Texture mod:
     http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=2162d9b6d7179ca3b5130195550da15b;act=ST;f=70;t=62880

Replacement Pack -CameronMcDonald's 1st ID:
     http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/addons/#AddonModUtilMisc1

CSL UI Mod:
     http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/addons/#AddonModUtilMisc2

Replacement Pack -Ebud's US SF:
     http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/addons/#AddonModUtilMisc3

Replacement Pack -Frozzzen's OPFOR Inf:
     http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/addons/#AddonModUtilMisc4

Hosting:
     You can host this anywhere you want, but if you let me know via PM on the
     BIS forums, I'll add a link in the download thread and let you know if I
     patch it.  I'd also prefer if you included a link back to this thread, as
     this is where I'll be posting updates, answering questions etc.

Installation:
     Unpack the PBO files into C:\YourArmaDirectory\Missions\

Version History:
V1.2:
     Small modification due to units walking around in safe mode getting stuck
     in arma V1.08.
V1.1:
     Missions renamed.
     Overview text modified.
     Overview pictures replaced with custom pictures, instead of BIS pictures.
     Briefing and notes heavilly modified.
     Solution added.  Can be read by following a link in the notes section.
     Leftover debugging in the form of radio commands removed.
     First Aid station repositioned slightly to help prevent AIs from becoming
     stuck.
V1.0:
     Release

License:
     Unlimited rights (including editing and rereleasing) so long as it's non-
     commercial and adheres to the BIS terms of use.  Any derivative work
     cannot be more restrictive than this with respect to what rights an end
     user has.

Acknowledgements:
     Most of the V1.1 bug modifications are directly or indirectly
     attribitutable to a conversation I had with Cheeta at ofpec.

Download:
     Get It Here
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:30:52 by Cheetah »
Everything I have released for ARMA can be found here.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Quick Missions Pack (SP)
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2007, 01:19:56 »
Quick Missions Pack - Veteran, 1.08 - will do all the missions in one report as they are more or less the same

Overview
Border is missing, text is a bit short as there isn't much to tell. Please name the mission properly, give it a more interesting name.

Briefing
Please add text to the markers, at least make clear where the insertion point is. I'd suggest putting the notes text in the plan section. Notes section could then be filled with something else. Little background stuff or something.

Don't like it that the objective has capitals for each word.

Mission

It is a hard mission, saw the debriefing way too many times as I lost a lot of my teammates. Noticed a "kill all enemies" radio trigger, think that you forgot to remove this one.

The mission is enjoyable, but hard. Seems that after clearing the town, you have to wait for reinforcements. You might want to consider making a new objective.

No real bugs found, all good and enjoyable but rather short missions if you know how to tackle them. Well done, can be used to spend those 10 minutes of free time.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2007, 11:53:28 »
Overview
Border is missing, text is a bit short as there isn't much to tell. Please name the mission properly, give it a more interesting name.

Noted.

Briefing
Please add text to the markers, at least make clear where the insertion point is. I'd suggest putting the notes text in the plan section. Notes section could then be filled with something else. Little background stuff or something.

Don't like it that the objective has capitals for each word.

Noted that insertion point may not be clear enough.  I personally like the capitals begining every word in a bulleted list type thing though.

Also, I think I agree about moving the notes into the plan section.  Its not really supposed to have any serious plot, so perhaps some general cqb tips?  Maybe something like this:

General ARMA CQB tips:
Cover the approaches to the area you've cleared.
Move cautiously, the enemy may be able to shoot you when you round that corner.
I prefer to skirt the edge of the hostile area of town first when possible.  I don't like getting shot at from multiple angles at the same time.
Just one or two people flanking the enemy can have devastating results.
Cover your flanks, because you don't want the tip above to work against you and for the enemy.
If you have to cross the road or any open area, *run* to the nearest cover.
Take advantage of cover that lets you minimize the expectation of sucessfull return fire when possible, but do not become fixated on it.
If you have them, light automatic weapons without scopes are more to your advantage in close quarters than heavy weapons or FOV constricting scopes.
If you spot the enemy before they have spotted your forces, act decisivly and strike a crippling blow.  A few well placed grenades or overwhelming firepower can ruin the day of any infantry squad.

Mission

It is a hard mission, saw the debriefing way too many times as I lost a lot of my teammates.

Yeah, it's supposed to be hard.  It originated as me just figuring out various tactics and getting used to arma's new interface.  Hardcore CQB seemed like the best way to do that to me.

Noticed a "kill all enemies" radio trigger, think that you forgot to remove this one.

Oops :D.  Leftover testing stuff as you say.

Seems that after clearing the town, you have to wait for reinforcements. You might want to consider making a new objective.

That actually means you missed something.  The way I did it in the missions is completion when all enemy armor (3 apcs in varients 2 and 4) and all but 2 enemies are dead (I didn't want to force the player to try and locate that last man if you know what I mean).  That means you either missed 3+ enemies or an apc somewhere.

No real bugs found, all good and enjoyable but rather short missions if you know how to tackle them. Well done, can be used to spend those 10 minutes of free time.

Yeah, it doesn't take very long once you've gotten it down.  I'd like to hear your solution though.

*********************Spoilers****************************
The best way I found was this:

Take one of the trucks at base, head along the road and stop in the middle of the forest on the North side of town.  Get out, and follow the clumps of trees around the town to the north-east end of town doing what you can not to be spotted.  I then use a my sniper and a man with a scoped assault rifle to cover the western flank.  Cross the ravine there, and set up teams of men to cover the approaches through the buildings.  Sometimes you can catch a whole squad unaware here and take them all out with a few hand grenades and some automatic fire.  I set up a team of men in the clump of trees to the east to cover the eastern flank as well.  From there, start cautiously advancing, covering the angles carefully until you make contact if you haven't already.  When you have made contact, the fighting will be intense, and you'll have to go to wherever it's heaviest to help out your squad personally.  Try to flank the enemy when possible.

Once the fighting has died down some, start making your way southwest towards the burned out church (there's a first aid station in there), then west towards a small fenced in military compound on the west end of town.  Setup some overwatch on the entrances of the compound to make sure that no one gets out of it.  Lob some grenades inside to soften up any opposition in there, then assault it.  Personally, I prefer to assault from the west since there's a little shed just on the other side of the entrance I can make use of.  An alternative is to use an rpg/at4 to make a hole in the fence where you want to enter from.

I have also succeeded in a northern approach from the forest with a road through it by attacking from across the field there taking advantage of machine gun and sniper fire as the Americans.  It may be more difficult as the east side though as your weapons aren't as good at range.

A small detail in the mission that requires a fair bit of luck, stealth, perceptiveness, and a good approach to notice:
When you detect the enemy, the objectives change.  If you discover the bodies (in the woods to the north is easiest) before detecting the enemy, they also change.
*********************Spoilers****************************

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul 2007, 13:45:38 »
Those CQB hints sound good. Putting them into the notes would help.

"That actually means you missed something."

Well. Walked around a number of times, going west to east and north to south, but didn't see any soldiers left. Then suddenly my teammates started reporting in enemies (sent them to various positions in the town), as they were with 5+, I lost too much of my teammates, who were in groups of two. So yeah, I probably missed them while cruising though the time, they were using good tactics ;).

Uhm a solution. The missions with the APCs are hard enough, forgot to say that. They take longer to complete and can't be completed in 10 minutes. As most people will only play them once or maybe two times, I'd say that the mission is good as it is. The first time you'll be spending a lot more time than 10 minutes on it. So, my advice: make an enjoyable intro/outro and the mission seems all good.

Could use a few tests from others though, might have missed something.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Re: [SP] Quick Missions Pack
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007, 14:41:20 »
Updated V1.1.  See the top post.

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2007, 16:09:05 »
Hi, just tested a mission of ver.1.1.

Communications breakdown C

Ok, first I have to admit that I played A and B as well, but could only beat C.

Overview

Beautiful picture, nice shot of scenery or soldiers (for A-C).

Briefing

Excellent and informative, tough I did not read the mission solution (for A-C).

Mission

This time I travelled in a wide arc north of Eponia only to engage the town from the east. I lie prone on Hill 196 with my squad, sniping a few guys while my squad finished off the most enemies at the red buildings area.
Then I moved to Hill 180 on my left flank (south side of the town), sniping a few other bad guys. Then I had an intensive fight at the southernmost lane along some garages, where I lost a man and me and some other guys from my squad were wounded. Good that you provided the Field Hospital. Then I ran west, turned to the walled military compound, one spec op there was shot by my squad and the mission ended.

Conclusion

Very difficult set of missions, if one has found out how to solve it, there is plenty of fast-paced action. Looks like it is a good thing you provided a mission solution, I was close to reading it because of the mission difficulty.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Mathias

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2007, 09:25:44 »
Updated V1.2.  The only change is a small script to work around the units getting stuck when walking around in safe mode in arma v1.08.  No actual new content.

Also, marked ready for review.

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: (Please Review)[SP] Quick Missions Pack
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan 2008, 15:18:47 »
Hi there!

I will review this one.

Cheers,

Mathias

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP] Quick Missions Pack (Review in Progress)
« Reply #8 on: 03 Feb 2008, 22:24:25 »
Review completed

After-review discussion is opened!
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:31:09 by Cheetah »