Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Soldiers dont shoot over sandbags?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline DjTano

• Members
Soldiers dont shoot over sandbags?
« on: 19 Jun 2007, 23:02:59 »
Hey guys,

ive placed a few soldiers kneeling behind sandbags and they will not shoot at enemies unless they are 40-50m away, they even follow them with the gun, but just dotn shoot.

Does anybody know a way of fixing tht?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Soldiers dont shoot over sandbags?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2007, 23:04:23 »
destroy the sandbags with a setdamage 1. it's an old problem, so glad that BI has fixed it since OFP...  :scratch:

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:10:52 »
Did you ever tried that in Arma Bedges?

When you setdammage 1 a woodfence it simple explodes and disappears...
Setpossing it into the ground doesn't work either, even when the unit is standing up!

It's a really stupid bug, in the Arma campaign there are several missions where units were placed behind a fence, but it's useless because they can see shit. I guess the view and fire lods need to be corrected.

Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:24:22 »
I think this warrants a bug report to BIS. It is a serious flaw but is to my understanding easily fixable as Blanco already guesses.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2007, 02:33:20 »
Setpossing it into the ground doesn't work either, even when the unit is standing up!

Whilst setdamage does indeed make them go 'poof' and disappear, setpossing them further into the ground does work fine.......I just tried it.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2007, 04:56:21 »
I believe theres an extended Geometry Area to stop people walking over it. That's why if you lower it you can shoot over it because the invisible wall is gone

Offline WhisperOFP

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2007, 12:45:03 »
I think this warrants a bug report to BIS. It is a serious flaw but is to my understanding easily fixable as Blanco already guesses.
http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=1634
Apparently already done

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2007, 19:35:08 »
Whilst setdamage does indeed make them go 'poof' and disappear, setpossing them further into the ground does work fine.......I just tried it.

Planck

Really? Not in my test  ??? What did you do to make it work?

Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2007, 23:06:39 »
I was using version 1.08 of Arma, I used a radio trigger to run the command to setpos the "Fence" -0.5m.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2007, 04:59:01 »
Blanco, I tried your sample, and the ai would not shoot over the wall.  I tried moving the setpos commands from the inits to a trigger, and that did not help either.  I have ARMA 1.08.

I have had decent luck with stacking "Obstacle - Saddle" objects (which is 2 meter long .13 meter high cement block) into a wall (5 or 6 high).  It looks decent (basic cement wall), and the AI will shoot over it.  Attached is a sample if anyone is interested.  You need EditorUpdate_v102 for this.

A picture is also attached.

Note that you can CreateVehicle EditorUpdate_v102 objects, and then stack them, so that you don't actually have to have the addon in your missions.  But I don't have time to build that into this example right now.

Edit:  Note that AI (and player) can "hop" over these stacked object walls when they are in the AIs move path (unlike a fence, which the AI will never go over.  I think hopping over a 1 meter high wall is actually desirable though...  It would look stupid though to have AI hopping over  a 2 meter high wall...

Edit 6/21/07:  Uploaded revised test mission where enemy units have been "reveal"ed to the ai behind the walls.  Seems to make them shoot over wall more often.

Edit 6/24/07:  Revised test mission again to setdammage the Obstacle Saddle objects to 1.  Re-uploaded it to attachment below (per ducus mucus input).  Now they fire on targets 100 meters out.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2007, 19:27:02 by johnnyboy »
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2007, 09:34:51 »
That looks good and is a good solution for permanent bases, but for a roadblock for example getting the sandbag to shoot from is better. As most armies will prefer sandbags over stones and cement for such walls.

Anyway, I'll definately use the example you posted sometime, it looks good.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline DucusSumus

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2007, 13:10:15 »
It's funny that this post is right here because I just recently came across this bug myself, and I thought, "I wonder if anyone at OFPEC has noticed this..."  Apparently, you have.

I'm really bummed to hear that there is no good solution to the problem, and I feel that this is a fairly severe bug.  ArmA already lacks the ability for units to truly dig in; denying AI the use of static cover is a serious problem.  What good is an enemy that can't use cover?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2007, 13:18:00 »
who needs cover when you can hit your enemy from 500 metres with a single shot, when only a toe is showing...  :scratch:

Offline DucusSumus

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2007, 14:23:51 »
I've made a quick example mission on Rahmadi to demonstrate the severity of this problem.  It's attached.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2007, 16:18:05 »
BI would have fixed this problem if they could, which makes me think it is an engine limitation.
urp!