Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [COOP] Guns of Paraiso  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Novusordo

• Members
[COOP] Guns of Paraiso
« on: 18 Apr 2007, 03:23:10 »
Guns of Paraiso

This is my second mission to date.

Overview:

You have been tasked to locate and neautrilize an artillery battery over-looking the city of Paraiso to enable a nearby U.S Marine platoon to move in and take Paraiso back.

Features:

Full voice acting & custom music.

Bugs/Mods/Compatibility:

No bugs known
No mods needed
Designed in ArmA v1.05
Will play in both single player and multiplayer cooperative game.

Download - http://www.4shared.com/file/15254996/f2523193/COOP_Guns_of_ParaisoSara.html then copy to both ...\Armed Assault\MPMissions & ...\Armed Assault\Missions

Enjoy :good:

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 23:54:52 by hoz »

Offline mcnorth

• Members
Re: Guns of Paraiso
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2007, 10:09:48 »
I had fun with this mission. It had a lot of things I like and none of the things I detest. (like super snipers under every single stinking bush) However, none of the objectives ticked off for me. I found the steep terrain tough because I can't get the ai guys to follow orders. (even killed one and stole his gun out of frustration)

Offline Novusordo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2007, 23:12:45 »
thanks m8, glad you liked it.

yeah those mountains are touch for the AI. it really needs fixing ASAP.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2007, 00:31:44 »
Guns of Paraiso

Package

A zipped file with both the .pbo (mission file) and a readme would be nice. The readme should include any general information, if you want to be even more perfect, add a few advertising pictures.

Overview

None. But I know that you'll include one in the next (?) version of this mission if you're going to update it. As an overview is really easy to make yet it adds a lot.

Intro

None. It is low on the priority list as this is your second mission. I encourage you to add the intro cutscene to any upcoming missions though.

Briefing

The map is a bit crowded, do you know that it's possible to hide objectives and markers in the beginning and add them while objectives get completed? I always find that a good way to prevent the map from getting crowded. I do at least advice you to hide the markers in the beginning and let them appear during the mission after certain objectives have been completed.

You might want to check the briefing for missing spaces (especially around text to map markers) and things like PAPPA -> PAPA.
The mission sounds both long and interesting, I hope the initial walk won't be as boring as I think it will be. And taking the city of Paraiso could bring up problems too, well I'm eager to look and be surprised how you keep it interesting.

The notes section is fine, with modest advertising on a seperate page. I'd change the squad to: #1 leader, #2 MG, #3,4 Grenadier, #5 Medic. No weapon selection in the briefing, but I read that we have an ammo crate at the start of the mission which is fine in MP missions although a weapon selection wouldn't have hurt either (instead of the crate).

Mission

Missed the crate, it was probably on the island we started at, I immediatly jumped in the boat with my men. Looks a bit silly to let us drive the 200m in the boat only to get off our small island. You might as well let us start on the mainland, well I think we started on a small island.

Anyway, upon hitting the beach the Terminator thema kicks in and we move towards our first waypoint, about 3,4 km NW. Hopefully we'll get a lot of entertainment during that trip. The waypoints leads me to the M113 I have to board at the end of the mission, please add a waypoint for every objective that makes it easier for some players. Although it's not a biggy for me, could have as well turned off waypoints in my opinion. But I suggest that you keep them displayed.

I'm a bit closer towards the artillery position, I'm at a small army outpost at Gd61, +/- 2,6 km from the M113 at Paraiso. Which means that I've walked about 1km on 4x speed without anything going on. Not too bad, but I hope that there will be some action soon. In MP you always have other to keep it funny, in SP it's a lot harder to achieve that with AI teammates ;). You might help a bit by adding some music if you know for sure that there won't happen anything. Or have some hint telling you that there might be civilian vehicles at Geraldo. By doing that the player has another option to get close to the guns in less time.

My WP distance is 2,1 km, I'm actually getting pretty close to the marker now and it just turned light. Well done, keep the player in the dark until the action as I like the day :). Weird though to see the AI still wearing the NVG, not a problem though, you don't really have to fix that.

1700m and I spot the first enemy, not bad but I recommand adding a combat patrol about halfway to keep the player busy and aware. Now, I was glad to have the 4x speed option. The sniper gets killed fast, you might want to consider to remove  the netting and sandbags near him because the only thing they do is to make him die easier (easier to spot). After proceeding about 50m from the killed sniper I spot two bunkers. Seems like my target, let's go in and blow some.

Damn, they are decoys. Sadly, I can't follow the 2nd voice so I don't know what to do. You might want to consider updating the objectives, show a hint "Objectives Updated" and change the objStatus. Nice idea though to have the decoys here, but to make things clear I suggest that you add radio texts as well. Do the same with the Foxtrot-go-into-action-voice please.
There's a cessna flying overhead but I don't know what it's doing so I'm going straight for Paraiso now. Upon doing that I hear that we've eliminated the artillery, which we haven't. Or was it me hearing stuff that isn't there?

Anyway, we are on the move towards Paraiso now. First, I come across a small patrol guarding a red cross BMP, they are easily taken care off. As my teammates have trouble getting of the mountain I decide that I can use the BMP to squash some enemies. Hey, I have to compensate the lack of firepower with something. After a bit of driving through Paraiso my teammates got into action probably from the mountains overlooking the city, and I made contact with a friendly unit fighting the SLA.

The only thing I had to do was kill three lonely soldiers, I saw some dead bodies, both sides so there have been a number of skirmishes. Anyway, the objective was completed when I killed the third SLA soldier and a M113 came to my position. Now I'm sure, those must be computer voices, would be better to have real voices? I'm sure that there are enough people out here at the OFPEC forums to do some voice overs for you. Just create a new topic at the recruitment board.

Two teammates got killed, #4,5 probably from long range fighting. Two mates got stuck at the mountain, they never managed to get to the town. They remained at the wooden targets. Don't know if it was luck, but the M113 moved after about thirty seconds without the two others in the M113. So the mission actually got completed and I didn't have to worry about getting it completed with those two stupid teammates stuck at the mountain.

What I suggest is to look carefully at the fight in Paraiso. It could've been improved so that the player actually gets the feeling that there are heavy skirmishes between us and the OPFOR. But, more important, be sure that there won't be a last loon search. Mine was a short one, you could prevent this by not having the combat in the city but outside at an outpost guarding the road towards it or something like that. This prevents fights in the city and thus makes the last loon hunt less of a problem.

About the objectives, none got completed. I, and probably most people, would like to see objectives getting ticked off on the briefing. Oh, and you can replace the debriefing title, now " Ending #1"  to something like " Mission Completed"  in the briefing.html.

Debriefing

3220 (one silver ball), 45 min, 7 loons killed, 2 casualties.

Conclusion

The mission is okay, it could use some improvements mentioned in the report but has potential. Well done for your second mission.
Be sure to include an overview next time though, it's one of the basics of mission design.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 00:16:59 »
Hi Novu!

I noticed that the downloadlink for your mission is down, would you care to put it up again?

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2007, 18:31:16 »
Attached is the version I have on my harddisk.

EDIT: removed attachment - outdated.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2007, 21:01:19 by Cheetah »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Novusordo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2007, 19:11:33 »
hey cheetah i had no idea u tested it untill u PM'd me about the dead link 5 mins ago!

thanks again for testing my mission. as always, great report. though u diden't play it properly atall !!

it is meant to be played like this...

1. get in boat, get to insertion point where civi has dropped ammo crate. arm up and move north towards the mountains.

2. when at the mountains, climb to the top and destroy the guns.

3. then get to the forming up position (F.U.P) to the east of paraiso and then radio the marines to assault from the west and take paraiso back.

also the radio conversations should of been clear cos i upped the decibles on them to make em louder!! and again, i make the breifing and mark the map as a real military team would upon conducting a mission. no markers suddenly appear half way thru mission, ect. and i don't like waypoints telling the player where to go. they got a map and compass and GPS so it should be a part of the experience, IMO. and i'm even hard pushed to write any text hints atall, i'd rather do custom radio voice conversations - I am a true realism freak!

i actually made another version using my clans internal mod, i'll see if i can strip it down for you to play. it's a big long mission but it is designed to be as authentic as you can get when it comes to special forces mission design.

EDIT: Here it is - http://www.4shared.com/file/16378008/15bb9b2/_coop__SAS_Guns_of_Paraiso2Sara.html
« Last Edit: 21 May 2007, 20:22:48 by Novusordo »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 10:25:19 »
We played this map yesterdag (ofpec MP squad) and were stuck on Rahmadi. There was no boat or plane to transport us to Sahrani. Could you look into this?

And the file is somewhat large (5mb) for an MP mission.

Offline Novusordo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jun 2007, 13:21:01 »
hey cheetah sorry been so long ive been takin a break from arma and only just recieved your email. i've remedied the oversight and it works how it should now.

what i did was strip out all the addons my old clan used so it is an addon-less mission but i forgot to add transport from rhamadi to get to sahrani! we used to use inflateable dingies but they had to go to make it compatible for you guys. Anyway i've added some boats now so all works fine!

download - http://www.4shared.com/file/17111377/c5149c28/_coop__SAS_Guns_of_Paraiso2Sara.html

P.S It's large cos of all the voice acting and custom ambience.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2007, 13:24:55 by Novusordo »