Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Getting a squad to enter a chopper.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline MuadDib

• Members
Getting a squad to enter a chopper.
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 16:36:36 »
Im new to editing in Armed Assault, yet I used to dabble in it in OPflash, yet I have currently hit a frustrating snag. Cheers to anyone who can suggest a method to rectify this annoying problem.

First off I have a blackhawk that starts off flying, the first waypoint is a LOAD on a nice little clearing then some movement waypoints etc.

I have a squad of 5 soldiers whos first waypoint is GET IN that is centred and synchronised on the LOAD waypoint of the chopper, then a GET OUT command on the choppers UNLOAD command set some way off.

Here is the problem, the chopper does not land to pick up the units. It will simply fly for a distance of around 100 metres in front of the LOAD waypoint and hover there forever. The squad of infantry will obediently follow the chopper and then wait around underneath it for all eternity. What am I doing wrong? I know its probably something simple as I had this all working beautifully back in op flash (without using any scripting) but for the life of me I just cant remember what I did.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Getting a squad to enter a chopper.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2007, 16:48:52 »
first, try putting a helipad (visible or invisible, shouldn't matter) at the landing spot.

also, in the 'on activation' part of the load waypoint, put

Code: [Select]
chopper_name land "get in"
if you remember anything from your ofp days, you'll recall choppers make the already unpredictable AI even more scatty. there are a few chopper scripts in the ed depot - if all else fails you could give them a look.

oh, and welcome back  8)

Offline MuadDib

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:17:02 »
hey there, thanks for replying so quick :P

I tried doing what you said and can get the chopper to land but he doesn't wait for the squad to get in he just lifts off and keeps going, its definately an improvement though :P I also tried to synchronise the 2 orders but then the chopper wouldn't even land :(

I also downloaded a few scripts and put them in my missions folder in My Documents\ArmA\missions and tried to load them but nothing would happen (ie there would be nothing on the map), any ideas?

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2007, 18:52:26 »
I personally really can't help you, since I can't seem to recreate the problem. My blackhawk happily lands and picks up a synchronized load/get in, and flies off after : even when I'm the leader (BIG improvement from OFP : in OFP if you didn't order someone to enter the chopper it'd just fly off, which put you in a bit of the crap if you were the sole survivor of your squad).

Guh, chopper AI. Maybe just try to move the waypoints around a bit, or something : add an invisible H, try what bedges suggested...swear at it..?  :laugh:

Good luck anyways.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2007, 19:35:12 »
lo mate ...

eg  chopper is called bird  youre group is called zulu

create a switch trigger sync it with the load waypoint of chopper ... sync the load and get in waypoints with eachother also

in its condition field put

({_x in bird} count units zulu == {alive _x} count units zulu)

now hopefully the chopper will wait until all alive units from zulu are onboard before proceeding to its next waypoint

"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2007, 11:36:03 »
Hi everyone. This is an old thread but I think if my question is solved, it could be an helpful thread for others making similar missions.

I have used shark attack's idea and it works great. But I need a little twist to it:

The player is the leader of a 9 soldiers squad (10 soldiers with him included) on the Independent side. At the end of my mission, choppers fly in to load us up and then fly us away from battle field. So, here is the question, since the largest chopper on the Independent side, the MH-6, can only hold 5 units, I would need two choppers for my whole team. How would the syntax look like if I wanted to use Your code but for two choppers? I tried this but of course it doesn't work.

Code: [Select]
({_X In Chopper1 And Chopper2} Count Units DogSquad == {Alive _X} Count Units DogSquad)
Then I synchronized both Load waypoints of the 2 choppers with the GetIn waypoint of my troop and the trigger.

What happens in game then is that both choppers arrive but only one lands. So I full it with 5 soldiers and then I can make the second chopper come down if I order the rest of my men to get in it. Then it lands, everyone got in but both choppers stay there, not flying to the next waypoint. Can You help me? I tried things around but was unsuccessful. Thanx in advance!
Back to the forest!

Offline mcnorth

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2007, 04:57:25 »
Helicopters are truly a torture test. I'm attaching a document I did after spending hours trying to figure helicopters out. It was never intended for distribution so you may find it a little crude and it is unfinished. if it helps, great. If not, post a mini mission that duplicates your problem and I'll see if I can fix it. Also;

Keep in mind that helicopters do strange stuff in crowded areas. When something works perfectly try to have another one do the same thing close by and watch all your work go in the toilet. Is your flyin height at default? I seem to remember a problem I had with OFP where other than default (100) and the helicopter wouldn't land. That was a long time ago though and ArmA may be different.

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2007, 22:24:21 »
tricky with two choppers ... and one group
ill take a look in editor
a quick solution would be to add a radio trigger  and sync it with choppers load waypoint
when all units are in cargo  activate the radio ... not the best method  but it works

"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match