Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Airstrike  (Read 11214 times)

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
Re: Airstrike (beta v6)
« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2006, 18:34:44 »
sorry, my bad  :-[. Its corrected now...
"In times of war, do not crave honour. Do not pray for order, amity or surrender. Ask only that you outlive the day."

karantan

« Reply #31 on: 20 Sep 2006, 23:59:11 »
Hm, the mission where you fly a plane, not quite my cup of tea, so let's try it,,, :scratch:

Overview:
Nice, as must be.

Briefing:
You could make it shorter, something like those BIS style briefings; this mission is quite simple, straight forward, BIS-ish mission - it reminds me a bit on a Ground Attack mission, so my advice to you would be to keep all its componants such; for exsample that Mission Intel section is in my eyes totally unecessary. In one word, don't complicate where this is not needed. ;)

Intro:
I'm not some Intro or cutscenes freak, I can be very quickly satisfied here so,,,the Intro is nice, it serves its purpose.

Mission:
The start is ok, that on entrance check cutscene is also cute. Hm, as I see it there's too many of those A10's on that airport (and they're idle all the time/mission, which is not quite right/realistic), reduce the number of them a bit, leave two or at most three of them, including your plane. If nothing else the player will not had the problem finding his own plane, so the need for that madly running pilot-helper which lead the player like some baby to his plane will no longer exsist.

I had quite a problems at first with taxying and to manouver between all those wings of other planes (despite this can be putted on my account of inexpirience to control those planes this is another reason to reduce their number), but I get a grasp of it quite quickly. And off we go, and towards the first waypoint, then quick turn, damn, I am a natural flyer, this is only my second mission in A10 and I'm flying like I'm borned for it! :clap: Met the convoy, no, met the Shilka first, went down like a stone. Retry. Now I know where that Shilka is, dispatched it nicely, then next moment the convoy appears like a red squares on my  scanner array, tooked them out one by one with those Mavericks without need for the aditional turn. Got a 'well done dude, get back' message, so I'm rtb. Near the airport a Frogfoot and the Hind camed from the nowhere, got an order to engage them, because I'm only airborne dude (hm, and so many A10's is down there, in the middle of the war, doing nothing - reduce them, you author! :D). Only now it occured to me that I haven't seen any Vulcan/AA defense on the airport. So, a dogfight with a plane which is not designed for it against the planes which are not designed for it, interesting, why not, here we go, engaging the Hind, coliding with it. Retry. Next time I tooked down that Hind quite quickly (damn, I'm so good), and I had chased around that SU27 for quite a while (damn, I'm not so good), but eventually,,,Now I must land. Gulp, how to do this? Ah nothing, I'll go down like I see in those movies. First try and,,,touch down! Damn, I'm so good! :D Mission ended.

Debriefing:
Sorry can't remember what was in it, but I know it was ok.

Outro:
What Outro, who needs it. Me? Naaah.

As you can see, I have no bugs to report. :thumbsup: A very nice mission, I haden't expected to enjoy it so much. If you could make it more like BIS mission (I like BIS missions, don't ask me why, it's a mistery to me too, maybe I like their perfection in simplicity) it's a definately a keeper. Despite the mission it's not my cup of tea. ;)
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2006, 00:16:00 by karantan »

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2006, 00:54:48 »
V19.6 + ECP. Vet mode.

Package
Nice picture, and the read me was good, although some spelling mistakes

Overview

Does the title really need the version of the mission? beleagured? Picture could do with a shadow other than that its great

Intro

Was a bit boring, try to learn cut scene scripting rather then using triggers (I think you used triggers at least) The spinning camera's don't go down to well with me I'm afraid. When the camera changed to the shilka, it didn't do anything for the whole time it was on it, same for the second time. Try a dotarget and dofire command so it looks likes its doing its job. And on the third time it blew up short after it went back to it. Is that suppose to happen?

Briefing

Very nice briefing, no spelling or grammar mistakes that I can see, though I've never been that good at noticing these things.

Try to put the Intel onto the briefing, not the notes, ask around in the help forums here. Put a space between - and the words. It will look neater in my opinion.

Mission

Try to make the Saint Loius and the airport look occupied, no one would stand still, they've been doing things. Have helicopters fly over, land or take off. The same with vehicles, as you head down the road to the airport, make a trick drive by full of troops.

At the inspection, it says Echo Black 1 etc; try to give them names, Guard, Driver, or real names. Make the driver and the player know each other, "Good luck Joe" kind of thing?

As for the drive there itself, no problems apart from driving around a corner slower then usually, but that may just be OFP itself. The way point where you be dropped off still says get out after the HMMVV drives back to wherever, change it to follow on the pilot you have to follow. Add an auto save.

That d***n fuel truck, move it back a bit, it took me a few attempts to get on the taxi way to get anywhere near the runway. I like to be awkward and go the wrong way totally, but this is just in case people want to take off, not using the runway.

Fade out that music that starts to play when you take off, not straight away, just enough to get you thinking I'm about to kick some ass.

After hundreds of attempts trying to destroy the convoy without getting shot down, I still haven't done it. There is far too many shilkas to be able to do anything and just 8 mavericks? I usually only had hit 4 targets by the time I've run out. And I'm not trying it with a canon. That would take forever (I'm not a decent pilot anyway). After finally destroying the convoy and surviving, I "return".

The Su25 and the hind were a bit of a surprise (always a good thing) but why am I the only one trying to get them? Shouldn't the airport have AA defenses? Or atleast another A10 to help me deal with them. Trying to take down that Su25 seemed like a year, but that wasn't a problem, I've enjoyed the mission so far.

Now to land, seemed fine. My good piloting skills made me land into a tree. But after landing mission completed

The mission fail was interesting, except it lasted for too long, as soon as the black screen appears with the words Mission failed, end it 3 seconds after? Not 20.

Outro
Try to add an outro for loosing and winning.

Conclusion
It's a fun mission, I'll give you that, some slight improves need to be made though to make this mission playable (the convoy part) and more interesting. I'd play it again that's for sure if these things were done.

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2006, 07:37:37 »
Well, i've written down what needs to be done and i'll get right onto it and release version 7. Man this is frantic!

Jimboob,

- People have asked for a version number on the overview, so thats why its there.
- In case you don't know, beleagured means besieged, exhausted, under attack etc.  :)
- When the intro plays for me, it usually doesnt take too long, but i know that the shilka fails to target the plane, even though it clearly has a dotarget and fire command. Bloody AI  >:(. I'll fix it up anyway, make it shorter. But dont expect too much  :)
- I'm obliged to leave the mission intel in the notes, mostly because when i tried to move it, the plan section turned into a big mess and looked like the notes section. I'll leave it in notes, but i'll do some work on it, remove some stuff etc.
- Will make the main areas look occupied.  :thumbsup:
- How do i change the people's names so that they appear on sidechat?
- Will fix the drop off event.
- Will move the fuel truck back
- Doesn't the music fade out anyway? It should once you reach the 2nd waypoint and just after the auto save.
- Believe it or not, the airfield DOES have AA defences. However, even though everything has a setcaptive command, both the Hind and the SU25 still blow everything up. I'm not bothered by it, but usually its first targets are the Vulcans. Cant argue with that. And also, there are some scattered M2 machineguns on the airfield, they do shoot at the aircraft. You might not notice it though.
- I'll fix the mission fail trigger. I forgot it was there lol.

Will release the final version soon. Thanks for the input, Jimboob and karantan!  :thumbsup: I appreciate it.
"In times of war, do not crave honour. Do not pray for order, amity or surrender. Ask only that you outlive the day."

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2006, 09:14:17 »
version 7 is on the first post. All changes are in teh readme. Probably the most noteable, is that i removed the intro altogether. I screwed it up while trying to make it better lol. I'll save the intros for missions that need them.  :thumbsup: This has been the most exhausting mission ive ever made. And i sincerely hope that this final version will be the last one.

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
Re: Airstrike (beta v7)
« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2006, 19:51:07 »
People have asked for a version number on the overview, so thats why its there.

That's what the readmes for

In case you don't know, beleagured means besieged, exhausted, under attack etc.  :)

I know what it is, Spelling looked odd to me.

How do i change the people's names so that they appear on sidechat?

It's a description.ext thing, check the editors depot for the description.ext tutorial on Identies, as well as the ComRef

Doesn't the music fade out anyway? It should once you reach the 2nd waypoint and just after the auto save.

It didnt for me for some reason :dry:

Anywho, i'll test version 7 soon.

karantan

« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2006, 20:27:16 »

In case you don't know, beleagured means besieged, exhausted, under attack etc.  :)

I know what it is, Spelling looked odd to me.

:dry:

on Identies

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
« Reply #37 on: 22 Sep 2006, 02:28:53 »
on Identies

[/quote]

Identities  :whistle:

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #38 on: 22 Sep 2006, 02:45:57 »
>>People have asked for a version number on the overview, so thats why its there.

>That's what the readmes for

A version number should be in the readme

Version numbers are exceptionally helpful in the overview and should be there as part of the norm.

I am thinking of making _that_ mandatory.

Something along the lines of very modest author advertising at bottom of single page overview

Version 1.xx by fred.
Just say no to bugz

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #39 on: 22 Sep 2006, 05:29:08 »
hmmm...well, if theres some sort of problem in v7 that needs to be reworked, alas, i'll release a FINAL v8. I did some testing yesterday and found out that the mission failed trigger is still being annoying. I have a fade out black with the text saying "mission failed" and then End #2 kicks in 3 seconds later. Only that it doesnt and just goes on for a thousand years. What the hell? (did the same with the mission complete trigger, so i ultimately removed it)

And whats more, how do i make a win trigger where the player has to disembark his vehicle after the main objectives have been completed...like those Air Assault missions.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #40 on: 22 Sep 2006, 08:40:27 »
@Tom

It isn't the right board for this kind of question, but because it's already here and the solution is easy:

After each objective that is completed, set this: obj1=1, obj2=1, obj3=1 etc.
Create a trigger (and name it) with these conditions: !(player in nameOfAircraft) && ((getDammage nameOfAircraft) < 1) && ((this distance a10) < 30) && ((this distance player) < 30)
On activation: obj4=1

Well that should do the trick, untested though. You want to place the trigger where you want the player and aircraft to be to make the mission end (to that is where the aircraft is when the mission starts).
The first part checks if the player disembarked, the second is the aircraft isn't destroyed, the third and fourth check if player and aircraft are close enough to the trigger, to make it go off.

Create a new trigger with this condition: (obj1==1) && (obj1==2) && (obj1==2) && (obj1==3) && (obj1==4)
Select "End #1" in the list above the condition field. The mission will end immediatly, so you might want to set a countdown or something to prevent the mission from ending too fast, just a few seconds of relaxation :).

Hope that his helps you, but for further questions please use the editing board and not the mission board.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #41 on: 22 Sep 2006, 08:48:36 »
Wilco, Cheetah.  :) I'll fix up that blasted mission failed trigger and have a go at the disembark win trigger.  :thumbsup:

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
Re: Airstrike (review please)
« Reply #42 on: 22 Sep 2006, 15:15:35 »
Well i just put in the minor fixes to v7 so now there shouldn't be a single bug in the mission. The net has been running sluggish at the time of posting this, so i'm going to ask if someone can do a review on this mission please. All the other reviews that everyone has made informing me of bugs and fixes were all great and very helpful  :thumbsup: I thank you all as well as those who have played it  :D.

I'll carry on all i have learnt into my current and new missions.  :) Thanks again all.

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2006, 00:57:20 »
Review underway

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #44 on: 23 Sep 2006, 05:52:47 »
Thank you very much  :thumbsup: