Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New Mod Ideas  (Read 927 times)

M_S_Holder

New Mod Ideas
« on: 19 Oct 2002, 06:19:27 »
Hello,

I don't have a good enough connection for multiplayer, and singleplayer for OFP has gotten too easy for me.  I've decided to do a mod for OFP to increase the challenge of singleplayer.

It should be less than one MB. for each unit in the game, there should be one new unit to use as a replacement.

Here is a list of *some* of the changes I am currently making:

INFANTRY:
*Mgs that fire automatically (not in bursts--I've found a way that's beter than bursts for the game) and are effective at 500+ meters;
*men that notice enemies at farther distances;
*snipers that effectively spot and pin units at 800+ Meters;
*all new (or borrowed) better weapon sounds;
*officers that play a more effective role by spotting units better;  
*assault rifles that fire at longer ranges but with more realistic accuracies.

ARMOR:
*Tanks without radars but capable of long rang engagements (they can be flanked but will hear enemy armor units approaching);
*new engine, turret, and coax MG sounds for every tank and Vulcans with a realistic Vulcan sound, etc;
*lightly armored vehicles (M113, BMP) will be engaged by MGs;
*more realistic stats for armor and tank guns.

Air:
I don't know too much about aircraft, but I'm open for suggestions.

The Infantry changes are almost finished, and I've done four of the armored units already.  I'm particularly proud of the snipers, which will spot you from a looooong distance and light you up while you try to figure out where he is!  

The tanks I've done are devastating at whatever your setviewdistance is set (but no further), and the RADAR IS GONE!  However the tanks tend to see through fog.  I imagine it's their thermal sights.

It should take me about a month longer, and should be a great addition for anyone that can't play multiplayer.

Please Give me any suggestions that you think might make the game better for singleplayer.  Also if anyone has any good sounds (in .wav or .ogg formats) and is willing to share, let me know.

I'll post the new MGs here soon--they are the best Mg changes I've made so far--so that you can test them.

Kaliyuga

Re:New Mod Ideas
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2002, 06:58:50 »
  Sounds cool.. I'm all for everyone doing their own thing..
and seems like you've got a good plan worked out..

I have to point one more thing out as well....  using setviewdistance on units will make all of the units in the mission have that distance as well... It can have some negative effects as you can imagine.... ;)

M_S_Holder

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2002, 16:57:19 »
Setviewdistance does affect the range of radars, but the Infantry needs their sensitivity increased to ID other infantry at very far distances.

When I get done, you can (for exaple) put the original game's tank, MG, sniper, or whatever right next to my version of the same weapon, and compare directly which sounds better and is more effective at spotting and engaging enemy units at longer ranges.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2002, 17:03:23 by M_S_Holder »

Marsuitor

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2002, 19:26:57 »
Good idea!
With this mod, hopefully i can get that machinegun fire to actually be effective out to a correct(ish) distance.
And the snipers really sound nice!
Little question, Is it possible to make them prioritize targets? ie. Officers over riflemen/AT gunners over riflemen etc. etc. That would be really nice.

Looking forward to this, keep it up!