Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Current Status of the Site  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Current Status of the Site
« on: 26 May 2006, 08:40:56 »
I will use this thread (as well as the main page) to keep you all updated on the status of our site rebuild.

OFPEC Status as of Now

Right now, we have only the forum working. Links to the depots go nowhere (as they are still being built). All forum functions (attachments/quotes etc.) should be up and running. We are still working on a couple of small bugs we are aware of, and once these have been squashed we will open the bug thread for any further reports.

What's in Progress

The site template is working along with the forum. We will still be adding (mainly cosmetic) finishing touches to these, but for the main that's complete.
We are currently working on the submission system and resource database. Once this is up and running we can start building the depots.

When/How Long/Can you add... etc.

At this stage I am not in a position to give you an ETA on when anything will be up. Unfortunately the best I can do is "We're working on it" :)
As things get built news items will be posted. So please bear in mind that the answer to any and all 'when will this be ready?' or 'why don't you add xxx...?' threads will be a padlock, and a link directing you to this thread ;)

We thank you for your patience, and are continuing to work to get things up and running as fast as we can.

Offline crave22

• Members
  • Wheeeeeee!!!!!!
    • OpSomme
Re: Current Status of the Site
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2006, 23:53:00 »
It's great to finally see you guys back up. ;) I was startin' to go into withdrawl over here...

Welcome back, guys. I am so happy to see tan again. And BTW, I do love the new layout.  :D And take your time on getting the rest of the site up. It was one heck of an accomplishment to get this far.

Offline Gogs

• Contributing Member
  • WWIIEC - Gracefully retired boss
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2006, 11:46:30 »
Seconded! Great to see the site back up. Thanks to all of you for the hard work and effort you must have put in to make it all work again. This site really was an extreme case of "You won't miss it till its gone." The community missed you, and we're glad you are back!  :D

Offline Frank Scott

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2006, 14:03:41 »
well dome guys
its great to see the site back up
its obviously been a long hard road that you have all travelled to get it back up
and i for one congratulate you all

KUDOS guys  KUDOS !

Franko

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2006, 05:06:53 »
Truly.....It IS Great to be home from a long, weary journey through a wilderness of websites that could not hold a candle to the Brotherhood of OFPEC. Wading through other sites can be quite burdensome on even the strongest of OFPfans. But here..........Here is where the Beacon of Hope rests, shining it's guiding light onto pathways for even the lesser of gifted programmers to find a way to the plateau of glory. To be included......To be forever bonded by the ONE GREAT GAME without the confusion of offtopics to litter it's trails. Thank you for your sacrifices, and that of your Families to give your time for so great a cause as to bridge a gap for a community in need of endless exploration and unbreakable ties.
(Removes his boots...sinks into the comfort of his PC chair by the hearth.......places the pipe to his lips and smiles with glee...while the PC cycles on.)
BTW Bedges.....Great Greeting!

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 09:34:21 »
Thanks to all involved in getting this forum up again.

You da best  8)
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2006, 22:06:49 »
Finally! Its back up! I've been checking this site daily for the last three months!
Also is this the final look of the website or is it still being worked on?
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jun 2006, 23:50:54 »
I think it's about 99% final. But hey, I don't know much about that stuff :).
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2008, 00:10:44 by bedges »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline RichUK

• OFPEC Patron
  • Have fun!
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2006, 05:13:11 »
It is great to be back chaps..

.. and yes, there will be lots of improved goodies "down the road"  8)

Forunately, it is the happy crowd that use this site that make it what it is, always willing to lend a hand to someone new, or assist with leaning higher (pure) mathmatics to solve an advanced scripting or function problem; the place where no question is too silly to be asked, without fear, without genuine helpful replies from others ...how do you light that fire, again... ?  ;)

OFPEC is, as it always was, ...

"By the Community, for the Community"  

Without the wonderful members and guests who are drawn to this place, it would have permanently ceased to exist, long, long, ago...

Thank you everyone for doing your part to make it what it is  :-*

... ArmA will not be too long now, so we want to have done our "spit and polish" and put on our Number 1s before then (I was a Matelot of course, rather than a Pongo, Bootneck, Hairy Fairy, Flyboy, or whatever), so that we are "all present and correct" when it is released...

Thanks again everyone, it is nice to have been missed...  sorry that we appeared to have gone AWOL.

PS: @savedbygrace, do you write Poetry too, I would like to read some of it, if you do ???  ;D
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2006, 05:20:28 by RichUK »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2006, 08:38:52 »
no question is too silly to be asked, without fear, without genuine helpful replies from others...

aye. freudian slip there.

Offline RichUK

• OFPEC Patron
  • Have fun!
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2006, 17:24:40 »
Well, as an Englishman, sometimes my use of English grammar is a bit crap; a Scotsmen, and even my French ex-wife could often do better (she also read books in English at least twice as fast as I could and came top in a spelling test at an English University!).  ;D

What I meant to say, was:

Newbies (or veterans) need never be afraid to ask what they may think to be a stupid question.  There is always someone ready to provide some genuine help, without people making rude personal comments.

Of course, it makes sense to read the tutorials and FAQs (when available) then use the search facilities carefully to see if the question has been answered previously, before posting a new question (ensuring that the right board is used).
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2008, 00:12:37 by bedges »

Offline Ryan

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2006, 17:25:44 »
Great to see thats it's back up good luck with buliding the depots

klavan

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2006, 13:01:43 »
I don't need an ETA, but I think a generic update about the rubuilt status would be very appreciated by all OPFEC members.
It would be surely appreciated by me, at least.  ;)
Klavan

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2006, 00:27:29 »
Fair enough... ;)

Current Site Status

The forum template is complete. Apart from fixing any bugs that may emerge in the future, and maybe installing a mod or two, it is done.
Our talented coding department is now working on writing a module for submissions. Obviously this will have to be installed, tested, modified etc. as we go.

This unfortunately is not a quick process, but we need to make sure we end up with all the features to take advantage of our new site infrastructure.
We could go with a pre-existing file manager that simply uploads and downloads files, but OFPEC's aim is to do better than that ;)

I'll let you all know when some tangible progress is made.

PetriHonka

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2006, 15:52:37 »
As a new member (joined when it was broke) I'm delighted that the site is finally up and running again. But the site has been in it's current state for ages without progress. I know it's a slow process but surly you have go a link to the missions depot ready and the server fixed in nearly 2 months?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2006, 11:33:01 »
the server is indeed fixed. our problem lies in that we have to rebuild the individual depots from scratch. if this were a website with paid staff who worked 9 to 5 then you would have a valid point. but everyone working here works for free, in what little of their own time they can grab between real-life commitments.

we also have the upcoming release of Armed Assault to consider when rebuilding the site. progress is being made - just take a look at the editor's depot - and is continuing to be made. we would all love ofpec to be back on its feet with a snap of the fingers or the wave of a magic wand, but sadly that's not the way reality works, as we found when we tried out that new wizard from hogwarts... boy was he a disappointment.

in any case, rest assured that the staff are committed to getting ofpec back to full strength.