Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: My first mp mission  (Read 1239 times)

Spectaculas

My first mp mission
« on: 12 Dec 2005, 18:44:24 »
I'm making my first multiplayer missions, and I want to know what things I shouldn't forget.

Give me feedback about it when I finish it. I'll upload it to here.

Question at the moment:

How can I make a trigger to activate another trigger?

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
Re:My first mp mission
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2005, 20:11:44 »
Some good stuff here.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=6632a456664c54d74682422de8dedc1c;act=ST;f=7;t=26723

eg:
Triggering a Trigger:

Trigger 1
On activation : A1 = true

Trigger 2
Condition: A1
On Activation : what you want.

The tips I can give you with my limited MP knowledge are:

Test it on a hosted server and a dedicated server. The difference can be amazing (and irritating) in mission behaviour.

Always put a game logic named server in the mission somewhere, can't quite remember why now but it's worth doing out of habit. It's also worth putting a game logic named ECP_server in so ECP can work out which pc is the host.

Depbo the ones you like playing and see if there's anything in them that you wouldn't normally do and try and work out what's going on.

Start small. ;)

Type in multiplayer in the search field of the editors depot and read up. A lot of people have spent a lot of time answering questions with tutorials that explain the main problems that can arise.

Good luck! :)
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Spectaculas

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:30:35 »
Questions at the moment:

I'm not quite sure how to end my missions when all of the objectives are done. I believe that I have to do init.sqs, but what do I type in it? And the triggers?

I want my mission to end when the group (group=sankarit) arrives to village. And of course, the ending is one of the objectives.

And the last one: Does group names work as unit names? Like this:

Cond: not (alive (tanks))
On act: "1" objstatus "done"

"Tanks" is the name of the group.

Using unit's name, it is slow.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2005, 12:43:44 »
Read some of snYpir's tutorials, particularly

Briefing.html tutorial
How to use objectives and init.sqs
OFPEC Guide:  MP Missions

You should also at least skim all of the tutorials in the Getting Started section.

Group names and unit names are not interchangeable.    (There are a very few commands where you can use either.)     Groups and units are profoundly different things.    

Alive is only a useful command for soldiers:  although it does technically work on vehicles, it is not reliable and you should use canFire and canMove commands instead.

Lines you mind find useful, syntax not guaranteed:-

"alive _x" count units grp1 < 1

(not canMove tank1) and (not canFire tank1) and ...

("canMove _x" count [tank1, tank2, tank3] < 1) and ("canFire _x" count [tank1, tank2, tank3] < 1)

When you are finished making the mission, upload it to the Missions Beta Testing board.   Read the sticky topic on that board first.  ;)
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2005, 12:44:23 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play