Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Mission Pack One V1.3  (Read 12077 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
Re:Mikero's Mission Pack One
« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:35:32 »
Ive never played any of these before.

I cant understand why sombody would  make missions on desert island. And ive only got through a few. but they are pretty fun. Its intense with the 2005 mod on.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2005, 05:05:26 »
@Morglor

if possible, i wouldn't mind seeing mission packs with addons, like a BAS

Judging from the highly positive response from everyone, there's an easy answer to that Morglor. Make one  ;D

anyway, i've played the first one, its going great. a tad easy

yes. I'm none too happy about abfarngen (sp). It was close to the delete list and will be, if others think it's a bit too simple, because, a bit too simple it is. I've kept it because it's one of the few tank battles that actually work, but a better one in identical setting is later in the pack. I'll wait on other comments first.

the pack itself is working well.

yep, just easy game flow instead of trying to remember if you've played the bugger, it just automates it all for you.

@Karantan

>mission13

thanks. that will be fixed, not deleted, because it's an overview issue. Ta.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 01 Dec 2005, 06:28:35 »
@Morglor

Judging from the highly positive response from everyone, there's an easy answer to that Morglor. Make one  ;

sure, maybe once i get campaign description.ext figured out  ???
Cymbaline

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #18 on: 01 Dec 2005, 12:18:59 »
sure, maybe once i get campaign description.ext figured out

:D

you don't have to.

use my campaign maker

it does all the donkey work for you.

8)
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #19 on: 04 Dec 2005, 14:43:14 »
In the readme, suggest you include the endmission cheat.   This will prevent somebody from getting stuck, or allow them to move on if they don't like a mission.

The campaign format though is brilliant, it just takes away so much administrative hassle.

Consider removing Black Thunder ... it really is a beta.   I started by shooting 2, who is pointless since comms have been disabled, and gave up after a message saying everybody was dead was immediatly followed by one of my "dead" colleagues LAWing a BMP..... You know you're in trouble when the orders are don't get detected and your weapons are LAWs and grenades with no weapon selection.    And the detection script doesn't work either.   As its stands its unplayable but buckets of potential.    

Onwards ....
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 04 Dec 2005, 14:59:11 »
i would to try this but what version can i play with due to some problems with my CD's for GOTY i can only use 1.46 Gold edition
would it work ? if not im getting a new copy of GOTY on tuesday i think
what missions are actually included ?

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #21 on: 04 Dec 2005, 15:08:24 »
I have a problem with the mission 'spying' on desert island. It stalls the game right before the end. Same thing happens if you use the 'endmission' cheat.  :P
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 04 Dec 2005, 15:17:24 »
hey what do you know it does work with 1.46
okay first mission

after that cutscene it shows that bmp before going into the camera fix it by activating the script in the players init field
and the cutscene ended all of a sidden with no black out nor fade out of music
the mission were we destroy the T80's is very easy and i dont know why we did it ?

Then we went onto the next mission showing the convoy being ambushed some nice camera work i though here nothing to nice but nice non the less but you didnt give time for the blackout it ended half way thtough the black out

Now for the mission at the start it had a small camera script try and speed it up if you die it wont be very fun watching it again and again or atleast provide a savegame at the end of the camera
We start at the fire and i hear a bell ring... oh wait ive got to go  ;D

ill carry on some playing later on

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #23 on: 05 Dec 2005, 00:51:18 »
@MacGuba

"Administrative Hassle"

thanks for that, it was the phrase I was looking for.

-endmission

damn good idea

>Black Thunder

Bum. I'll check that again, I suspect you're right.

PS By accident I included an official bis mission, hunter killer, it's going to be removed.

PPS just played Retaliation.ru, loved your walkthru for it too!

@456

Version 1.46

I'll add to the readme that many of these missions use the 'official' addons (eg resistance pack). And if 'you' encounter a "missing addon" use -endmission as Mac has suggested.

> fix it by activating the script

nope. Not my job. If the mission's crap, it will be deleted. If it's playable, it stays.

>(Abfangen) is very easy and i dont know why we did it

'we' didn't. And I agree, it's too simple too basic, I am going to scrap it.

>provide a savegame at the end of the camera

not my job to do that.

@Greg

> 'spying' on desert island stalls at end

this only happened to me once in oh-so-many-replays. I'm not convinced it's a mission issue, but perhaps memory, or, perhaps naughty addons in your folder causing it. It's one of the more interesting missions in the pack and I'd be unhappy to scrap it. If any one else experiences same thing, I'll get rid of it.

Thank you everyone. I look forward to more of this.

@Edit

@MacGuba

wow, that's wierd, Black Thunder by Alimag is one of my all time favorites. It's normally a stunner. It's playing like a dog and might? be something to do with it being un-pbo'ed from the original. Will test it as a stand alone pbo and if it still plays as a dog, it gets the chop.

« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2005, 01:56:16 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #24 on: 05 Dec 2005, 04:50:19 »
New version on top post

it's packaging has been considerably improved and two or three missions deleted.

Pls let me know what you now all think, as I'm keen to push this over to the MD and get on with other packs.

Just say no to bugz

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:Mikero's Mission Pack One V1.1
« Reply #25 on: 05 Dec 2005, 17:39:34 »
Well doesnt matter now ive got my new OFP GOTY and its installing now ill have a play once its installed and once i patched to 1.96  8)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #26 on: 05 Dec 2005, 18:41:07 »
I'd only played about 3 missions of the last one so started again.  Much better.  Like the "desert island" title.

Name the readme after the campaign.

There are lots of opening cutscenes with no savegame ... sadly a common feature of old missions.   This is a much bigger decision, but you may consider added the savegame cheat at the bottom of the readme in small letters.   Yes I know most people know it already, but not everybody does or wants to.  Oh and consider the "open campaign" cheat too, so that people can skip forward if they want to, or play favourite missions after a reinstall without having to play the campaign again or unpbo.

I had a last loon problem on one mission, forgotten which though.   It obviously worked for you so I wouldn't bin it.   With these older missions its an occupational hazard sometimes, hence the necessity of the endmission cheat for a campaign pack like this.

Black Thunder has all the hallmarks of what will be a good mission once you know it ... but first time for me and it's filled with really basic errors.   (Long opening cutscene in total darkness - I could see nothing at all - with no savegame;   weapon loadout that flatly contradicts your orders (insofar as the orders are comprehensible, which they aren't) and no Gear selection; mute and therefore pointless squad of 1 - I shot him immediatly for his ammo - which is just scripting for the point of scripting thereby screwing up the game for no reason; etc., etc..)   I suspect once you have come to terms with its idiosynchracies you might like it, but its not an appropriate mission for a pack like this where you're meant to be going through them bang bang bang that was fun.   The detection script did go off incorrectly when I shot somebody, unless it does something not mentioned in the Briefing.   And there was somebody on my side alive after I'd been told everybody was dead ... although I suppose that BMP blowing up could have been a red on red.  But I've played more betas that most folk and it takes a lot for me to hit the endmission cheat.

Playing Spying on Desert Island now and it is indeed an interesting mission.  Haven't got to the end yet, I seem to be incapable of hitting a chopper with an RPG today.

Glad you liked the Retaliation walkthrough.   :)   Damn good campaign.

Edit:  Spying on desert island (the one where you start on the small island) did attempt to end, but it crashed my whole computer the first time and OFP the second.    The first time I had not completed the first objective, having failed to realise that you are supposed to blow up your little hideaway before leaving the small island.   (Also I was in a chopper.)  Second time I did it right and it still froze up.

Testing endmission now ...

-endmission also causes a total computer crash.   It says "Activated endmission" in the top left of the screen, then nothing.   As in the previous crashes, no debriefing screen.    Showstopper.

« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2005, 21:56:44 by macguba »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #27 on: 06 Dec 2005, 00:48:11 »
@MacGuba

you are the 2nd to report a freeze with Spying. It will, sadly, be deleted.

>Black Thunder

Personally I don't agree, professionally, I do (if you know what I mean ::) ??? I will delete this mission. Putting my finger on it, it's below a threshold quality level.

>cheatsaves and etc's

Am thinking on that one as a maybe. I state these are playable missions at 1.96. If they don't come up[ to par.......

Your testing is very much appreciated.

I have another 'undocumented feature' in my campaign maker, I think the "Island of Everon" is skipped (sigh)

PS. More I think about some savage deletion, happier I am. It's already a big pack that can have some weight loss. Only criteria I wont employ is likes and dislikes.
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #28 on: 06 Dec 2005, 01:15:38 »
Yes I do know what you mean .... I can't really comment on Black Thunder personally, only professionally, since I haven't actually played it.   Whatever its merits and demerits, it doesn't really feel like it belongs in this pack.  Although I think you're right not to worry about taste.  As long as it meets the quality threshold, as defined for this exercise.

Shame about Spying.    Not special, but unusual and pleasant and made good use of Desert Island.

I skipped BlackT ... no problems with the next three except that I technically failed the Ambush one (one damaged T80 made it to whereever it was going) so I should have had a mission failed.    However, I think I hit escape during the outro (not sure) and got taken onto the next mission.   Which was good because I didn't want to bother replaying.  ;D   Praise the Lord, at last an undocumented feature that actually did me a favour.   Who-hoo!

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #29 on: 06 Dec 2005, 03:10:36 »
Version 1.2 is at top of post, probably the penultimate before letting loose on the great unwashed :D

fixed an 'undocumented feature' where and entire island was skipped (sigh)

removed two (more) missions as noted by MacGuba

changed readme slightly to include -cheats

Edit:

@MacGuba.

>Readme.txt

nope. A readme.txt is a readme.txt. Changing it's name is same as saying you can call mission.sqm anything you like. I have my opinion, you have yours. Let's leave it at that.

« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2005, 03:16:44 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz