Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Why duplicate the .wss files?  (Read 981 times)

Offline Kronzky

• Members
    • My OFP/VBS Scripts/Missions/Addons
Why duplicate the .wss files?
« on: 14 Oct 2002, 20:19:49 »
Whenever I've had to use any of the existing .wss sound files, I copied them into my mission's sound folder, and declared them in the description.ext file.

But that seems awfully wasteful.
After all, everyone who's got OFP installed, already has those files on their system. Why is it necessary to include them again in a user mission file?

Did anybody figure out a way of using them without having to duplicate them?

I tried using a relative path in the description.ext (something like sound[] = {"..\DTA\Sound\Weapons\AK74burst.wss", 50, 1.0}; - with a duplicate of the DTA branch in my \users\username\mission folder), but even though it never gave me an error about not finding the file, it also never played it...

Is there really no way?

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
Re:Why duplicate the .wss files?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2002, 06:25:09 »
I don't know how to do it or if its possible but there is a ak74 firing under a triggers sound effects.

Offline Kronzky

• Members
    • My OFP/VBS Scripts/Missions/Addons
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2002, 09:40:03 »
Yeah, I know! That's why I keep thinking it must be possible somehow - as you have some sound effects available in the Effects options.
So OFP is able to access .wss files without them having to be declared in the description.ext.

But how?...

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2002, 10:54:14 »
try looking in the config.bin all the sounds will probably be defined in there.

Bremmer

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2002, 15:01:30 »
The voice trigger sound files are called eng1, eng2, eng3 ... and rus1, rus2, rus3 ....

Don't know about the rest, sorry

:)

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2003, 06:36:52 »
I too think if we can crack this it would benefit the game enormously. Opflash needs as much help with atmospheric sound as it can get. (tho still the best fps IMHO)

Peeps wouldnt have to download enormous maps in MP with extra sounds and you would be able to create a real intense sound atmosphere if you could make use of all the other sounds that are not available in the normal trigger selection.

For example:

Have the sound of 10 choppers flying around with their machine guns opening up every now and then WITH OUT having to actually have 10 choppers in the game and lagging the frame rate.  

This could be done just by allocating the sound to a gamelogic and having it move around overhead of the player in the distance.

This would certainly add to the confusion of "WHAT THE HELL" is going on around me.

And war is probably when people experience being the most confused theyve ever been in their life.

Hope we can solve this, as it work for dialogue. ???

Zay out

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"