Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Using the EC search  (Read 827 times)

Mizilus

Using the EC search
« on: 15 Sep 2005, 23:50:27 »
Ok, I searched and searched with as many combinations/variations of what I was looking for and had no luck. Then I looked in "how to find the answer to your question" and lo and behold the question I have is mentioned first off.

How do I make fires burn?

Just what is the trick to searching the FAQ around here?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:Using the EC search
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2005, 23:57:36 »
jings, you're right. you wouldn't believe how often the regulars joke about it being the first question everyone asks about mission editing - and it's not even listed in the FAQ, not that i can see...

time to put that right methinks.

the answer is

Code: [Select]
fire_name inflame true
or in the initialization field of the fire itself

Code: [Select]
this inflame true
*bedges goes off to make a FAQ entry...*

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:00:39 »
The Editors Depot - and OFPEC - is bigger than it looks.   It's built not bought which has lots of advantages but a  few disadvantages too.   One of them is that information appears in lots of places and sometimes several searches are required.

Search the FAQ on keywords and click the button - hitting return doesn't activate the search.   The forum search function - button at the top of this page is also very useful.

The answer btw is to write in the init field of the fireplace:-

this inflame true
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Mizilus

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:09:46 »
LOL

Well I've had a helluva time really. I'm sitting here thinking, "I'm not stupid. What the hell am I doing wrong?" and I was VERY reluctant to ask. I figured you all would think I'm a real retard. I figured if I trial and errored enough it would eventually show up.  I cant tell you how long I have been looking  ;)

Half the time so far I have searched and the same screen and results show up. I type "parachuting" and the same results. I type "multiplayer save" and the same results show up. I'm just kind of searching around to see just what is possible with this whole editing deal.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:17:49 »
First off, mate, there is no such thing as a dumb question.  ;)

Second, we all have to start somewhere. I remember back 'bout three years ago when I had that same Q. We won't think you're a retard at all, asking questions like such.

Third, it is wrong to judge a man by his cover. Just because you can't figure out how the FAQ works, doesn't mean we can just label you as a retard. So have no fear.

Keep on posting, mate. It's the only way to learn.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2005, 00:18:42 by Tyger »
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:22:50 »
in fairness we should also point out that the FAQ is coming up for a major overhaul, partly for the reasons you outlined. it annoys us too ;)

Mizilus

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:33:27 »
First off, mate, there is no such thing as a dumb question.  ;)

Yer gonna regret ever saying that  ;D

Well, I went through all of the editing how to's and made a folder full of it so I will try there first for most things. I've made many missions but they have always been a big pile of guys just standing there waiting for the fireworks to start. After all these years I'm finally ready to actually give some life to these missions.

Also, though this may not be the proper place, I get where to put things in the "init" but when you guys say "code" just where is this code entered?

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:37:48 »
we mean init line of the fire object. ;D

Yer gonna regret ever saying that.
I suppose I prolly will  ;D
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2005, 00:38:37 by Tyger »
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:39:47 »
"Code" can be written in the init line of a unit; or in a trigger; or a waypoint; or a seperate file called a script.   IT's all the same code.  Where it goes depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Head over to the Editors Depot and read macguba's guide to mission editing for beginners and snYpir's OFPEC Guide:  Making missions.   They will give you a much clearer idea of what's possible and what's required.    It's not hard, but there is a lot to take in a first.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:44:39 »
As well as Abu's Basic Editing Guide.

Mizilus

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:46:16 »
Thanks again guys. Will  do.

Mizilus

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:50:59 »
Oh, so which guide would I look in to find out just what I need to call weapons when I try to add them to an ammo crate?

I ask because I've tried to add the MM1 before and recently tried again with the .50 cal and get some error message. Other than the name I have all of the semicolons and brackets and all in the correct place and order. Along the same line is there only one type of ammo crate that is capable of accepting more gear?

Sorry if I'm all over the place here.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2005, 00:53:23 »
All the ammo crates can accept more gear.    Check the syntax in the command reference again, and use the Weapon and ammo listing to check that you ahve the names of the weapon and ammo correct.  If that doens't work post here exactly what code you used so that we can see what's wrong with it.    And tell us where you put the code, obvously.

Mizilus

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2005, 02:27:36 »
thanks again.