Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: placing objects in houses  (Read 708 times)

acepilotray

placing objects in houses
« on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:32:12 »
I'm trying to place abjects like TV's tables beds ect in houses
how do i do that when i try they arnt where i put them

Offline sharkyjoe

• Members
  • Have you taken a BMP out at 500 meters??
Re:placing objects in houses
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2005, 04:48:26 »
This can be tricky and time consuming.

I sometimes Zoom in on the map and place the Table, chair,.. at the correct spot and this is off-set by a couple of MAP Feet or Screen Millimeters.

The Center of of objects are sometimes in the middle of the Questionmark "?"
So at times I have had things that didn't even look like they should be in building or tent but they were.

Also useful is the Set pos Script in the Intializ line of the Object:
this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1,(getpos this select 2)+2]
Now the Plus Two.. +2 ..at end is how many Meters the object being placed is up in the air or you can go negative numbers too. This helps in stacking things and placing items in the second floor of Buildings or below the building.
EX : Try a town with no city lights, put a fire[infalme true] in -3 (meters below middle of house) and Whoolaa house with Candle or fire place lighting. No need for Downloading Lighting Add-ons with this little gimmick.

Save this code You will use it a lot in making missions.
Hope this helps ya out  :)
Remember the 7 Ps??--- Proper Previous Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2005, 09:55:36 »
you can try this editor102. It has much more accurate mapsizes and will help you position things a little easier
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2005, 11:07:35 »
Sadly, there is no alternative to tedious trial and error.  Fortunatly, it's worth it - correctly placed objects make a huge difference to the feel of a mission.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

mccallum1992

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2005, 22:41:17 »
@Macguba
didn't you say you were making a thing where the marker of a house, for example was the size of the house(in map terms) and not the size of a toilet bowl!

P.S I might have got the persons mixed up! So don't shout if i have just wrongly praised Macguba for doing your thing! :-[

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2005, 23:11:07 »
It certainly wasn't me.    I suspect you are thinking of mikero's new editor addon, link in his post above.

It occurs to me that one of the tricks to making life easier when creating scenes in houses is to create the scene in a field somewhere - it's much easier to see what's going on, both in the editor and when you Preview the mission.   Once you have the tables and chairs (or whatever it is) in the right arrangement, move the whole arrangement into the house.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2005, 23:30:51 »
Don't forget the buildingPos command.  It defines certain locations within a building.  Take care not to use them after the player may have saved and restarted though.