Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: File format  (Read 789 times)

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
File format
« on: 21 Jul 2005, 14:59:16 »
Inside the campaignfolders of the original campaigns theres a file named:

vssver.scc

Can someone explain to me what it does and what function it has?  :-\
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:File format
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2005, 21:19:54 »
You don't need to worry about this file I think.

Just for you though........

Code: [Select]
.scc
    Microsoft SourceSafe generates 'vssver.scc' and 'mssccprj.scc' files, one for each directory that contains file within a SourceSafe repository. The file 'mssccprj.scc' contains information used by the integration of Visual SourceSafe with Visual Basic or Visual Studio.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2005, 21:45:13 »
stand back superman, iceman, spiderman,  batman and robin too
don't wanna cause a fracas, but ba baracas, have i got a match for you...
planck makes them look like a bunch of fairies....
he's got more bottle than united dairies.  

is there nothing that he cannae do?  ::)

off-topic, but there we go. a wee bit of moderator back-patting never goes amiss ;)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2005, 21:48:35 »
 :o :P
 ;D ;D

Planck
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2005, 21:49:24 by Planck »

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2005, 08:17:13 »
Thanks Planck. Thanks Bedges (beautiful poetry).
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2005, 15:55:17 »
I'm unsolving this thread to point out that i've discovered what this strange little file does. It's actually quite important. (Sorry, Planck... but at least the poetry was beautiful)

Basically vssver.scc  enables campaign missions to communicate with the root folder of their campaign, thus making it possible to call sounds and music from an external source. Very useful if you have a custom song and want to use it in several missions but don't want to put it inside every mission folder.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers, so I have no idea why it works this way. I just know that it doesn't work for me without vssver.scc.

I've put my findings in this thread: http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=24795

I would be glad if someone less pragmatic than me, and with a greater understanding of computers, took a look at it and veriefied my findings.

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2005, 15:57:16 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2005, 20:22:32 »
Interesting, I have no idea how it works.

However I only said you didn't need to worry about these files, to my mind they are there for a reason or not.

I thought maybe you wanted a detailed description of the file for some reason.  ::)

Planck

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2005, 03:30:04 »
Actually, it was your description that put me on the right track (not the poetry). Thanks again.

EDIT: After a conversation with BIS I have some update about vssver.scc. This is what Placebo has to say:

vssver.scc are "Microsoft Visual Source Safe" files, having files in source safe means that when someone wants to work on it they must check it out and it's locked for anyone else, that way you can have numerous people working on files without changes being lost or for example something being fixed by two people at once.

I can only assume that their inclusion in the original campaign was nothing more than an oversight (the original campaign pre-dates my employment here).

My trial and error method has showed me that the file can affect a campaign, though.

One of my endtriggers in a campaign behaves strange (the game either freezes or crashes when trigger fires) if vssver.scc is included in the campaign folder.  

The results varies, depending on wich folder the vssver.scc is in. Since both results are unwanted I recommend complete removal of all vssver.scc files from the entire folder tree of the campaign (in the CWC1985 campaign there are several copies, in Resistance there is only one, and Red Hammer has none).

In numerous other cases, the game runs fine even if vssver.scc is included. (Most user made campaigns IÂ've seen has one, included in the root folder, because their folder structures are copied from the official Resistance Campaign.)

vssver.scc  doenÂ't seem to affect mission in Single Mission or Editor modes. The unwanted side effects donÂ't come until they are merged into a campaign.

Maybe not the most important discovery in the history of OFP, but hopefully it will save campaign makers unneccessary testing time when otherwise working missions start to crash inside the campaign. (I spent 14 hours, hence all energy put in this thread.)

Sorry if my early theories was a little bit off the track...
 :-\
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2005, 15:08:54 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot