Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Working bipods  (Read 1679 times)

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
Working bipods
« on: 28 Jun 2005, 04:55:18 »
You've all probably noted that the M60 has this bipod on it which, in the game, is essentially a usless piecing of thing.  I think it'd be really cool if someone made an update to this weapon which would give you an option (in the action menu I guess) to set up the bipod.  What would then happen is weapon recoil and inaccuratacy would be reduced and you could only pivot the gun around 25 degrees in any direction.

Edit - Also, I'm not sure if this is an addon or a updated animation, but could someone fix up the stupid M2 machine gun.  By fix the machine gun, I'm refering to the way the AI and players man it.  The way it is now is ridiculous, the person just sliding around.  If the M2 is on the ground and the person wants to adjust aim, they should sidestep.  If it's on a jeep, they shouldn't even be able to move their feet all that much and they can't look to the left, right or back or , alternatively, they can't look to the front, left or right.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2005, 05:01:40 by marshmanguy »

Coldfire

Re:Working bipods
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2005, 12:16:05 »
I like the Bipod idea, and I imangine it wouldn't be too hard to do... but I don't think it's possible to add a side-step animation for the M2.

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2005, 19:47:36 »
OK, so can anyone do it?   I thought that the M2 idea would be hard to do cuz it's probably toying with the engine, kinda.  It's just SO stupid looking when a guy is suspended over the side of a jeep aming the gun to the left or right.  But what about the bipods?

ProudPotter2490

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2005, 17:11:15 »
There's something similar to what your looking for in the 'Invasion 44 Demo' :).

bdfy1

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jul 2005, 00:55:03 »
There's something similar to what your looking for in the 'Invasion 44 Demo'
Can you give some details? May be you can rip that script out of mod ? I want to have a look.

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2005, 19:02:36 »
The I44 thing was simply some fancy setdir and camcreate pieces of code that took the weapons and camcreated the stationary .30 or mg42 where you wanted to have a tripod setup. Originally I thought it was a feature of the units themselves, but it was really just some scripts. Can't remember if ammo and all that was counted right.  Can't remember it too well since I messed with a long time ago, but I do remeber pulling the scripts out or something....

:P

@bipod idea, I always wanted to lay down some real covering fire with a bipod down on a PK or M60.

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2005, 03:39:43 »
I realize this is probly nearly impossible if not impossible to do with the OFP engine, but whatabout "latching" onto things.  Like if you were really using a C6 or M249 and you were in a window sill, you'd just rest it on the sill, steadying the weapon considerably.  In OFP, you have to be crouching to shoot from a window and the weapon is, as a result, more inaccurate than is true.  Is there a way to make the gun latch onto the window sill so you can only look at the front 120 degrees unless you unlatch it and the weapon recoil lessens?

Dubieman

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2005, 06:16:03 »
That's the only problem, its the engine issues. The only way I can think of is to place a different weapon (addon with diff accuracy values and such, it'd prolly be coded as a M2 would...) where the player wants a bipod or tripod, but the way OFP manages bullet counts and how much ammo is left would mean that your "one" weapon would be different each time you initate the action. :P

So I don't think a bipod is very feasible. Emplaced guns are.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2005, 22:19:16 »
well you could make a script that keeps the player from moving and a script that keeps him from turning more than 25* but i dont know if you can lessen the recoil or the dispersion.  you can increase the dispersion by sedamaging a person to a negative number but i dont know if it works the other way. you could make a different magazine for the weapon as a different addon that has less dispersion(like the JAM HD magazines except opisite) and make the magazine compatable with the M60 and then take away all the players normal mags and give him the special mags when he uses the bipod. or maby not, im not sure, the weapon may need to be editied.

but i dont think changing the dispersion is needed. BIS on purpose made the acuracy of the M60 and Pk increase more when lying down then for other weapons like the M-16. they did this to simulate a bipod. if thats confusing let me put it this way,

say that acuracy was a number, smaller the number the better the acuracy. so 0 would be no dispersion and never missing and 100 would be imposible to hit anything the barrels not touching.

lets say the M16's acuracy while standing up is 50
the ak while standing is 60
and the M60 while standing is 75

the M16 while prone is 40
the ak while prone is 45
the M60 while prone is 35
Understand better?

so i think that if you just restrict the weapons movement and keep the player from moving it would be pretty realistic.

but i may be wrong :-\

good luck

Dubieman

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2005, 03:32:10 »
So would that affect the player only, or every person with a MG who lies down?
@for BIS siming a bipod, I don't think they did that, you just have a better way to brace yourself on the ground with any weapon as compared to standing up and firing. But hey, both ideas could be correct. Yet I think if BIS wanted to put bipods in, they would of.
 :P

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2005, 23:49:38 »
couldn't you make it much like the way any other moving part works? (such as night vision) and then a script like this:

_dir = getdir _guy
_range = 45
_loRange = _dir - _range
_hiRange = _dir + _range
?_loRange < 0: _loRange = _loRange + 360
?_hiRange > 360: _hiRange = _hiRange - 360

#loop
?(getdir _guy) < _loRange: _guy setdir _loRange
?(getdir _guy) > _hiRange: _guy setdir _hiRange
~.01