Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: GPMG  (Read 3124 times)

O Neil

GPMG
« on: 10 Oct 2002, 07:41:39 »
I'M 14 and into the Military like, hardcore dude. So why not make a GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun) with a partner to carry the link?

Just a thought.

O Neil                    :gunman:

mrshambler

Re:GPMG
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2002, 23:59:18 »
why not make a banana?

Eviscerator

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2002, 00:05:47 »
er...general purpose machine gun covers about 10 machine guns, and if you want one made...the M60 is one :) so problem solved...

[i know you are probably british and mean the 'gypmy', theres a few being made]

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2002, 00:37:45 »
Falklands War mod have made a GYMPY

O Neil

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2002, 07:11:37 »
no, as in, you have to have SOME OTHER guys follow you holding your link, and if he get's shot, then you jam up heaps.

Yea

Robbo

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2002, 14:58:12 »
I'm not a modeller or addon make but i though that portable handheld weapons in OFP cannot have a second person with them, because the game engine doesn't support it, static objects can like the mortar addon, i think the invasion 1944 mod are doing a gunner and loader, but so far to my knowledge thats it.
Robbo

DrMeatballs

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2002, 15:14:21 »
you can however make a loader who will carry your ammo for you and you either tell them to drop the ammo for you to pick up or you make it into ammo cargo and you can just take it from them directly(as in DKM's MG3 team and bibmi's LAW80 teams)

mrshambler

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2002, 15:12:24 »
but how about a general purpose banana? Someone made a cow.. they should make a banana!

I don't really care about the ammo guy for MG's but what should be added for OFP are bipods and tripods that can be adjusted in or out for higher accuracy or lesser kickback and so on. it would be like an optin after you hit the dirt you should be able to unfold the biopd from the action menu or with a button. like AA ops or day of defeat.

O Neil

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2002, 07:16:36 »
I RECON !!! Not about the banana, about the bi/tri pods.

:gunman:

M_S_Holder

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2002, 19:48:08 »
Hello,

The problem that I have with MGs in OFP is that they are useless past a few meters.  The AI just cannot use them correctly.

If there are any MG addon makers reading this, I think that a MG that fires in bursts and that are effective at 500+ meters would make the game much better.

I figured out how to dePbo config files and made a few changes to the game's M60 and PK, which I've posted on other forums.  Most people tend to like them, and if anyone is interested, I can post them here.

Marsuitor

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2002, 14:00:04 »
If you are thinking of the problem of the AI firing full auto and 1 round going on point and 99 over, then i agree. I especially find the OTW M249 pack plagued with this (Brilliant addon with the exception of AI inaccuracy)

I remember seeing the RED realistic guns addon using a 5rd burst or full auto for every machinegun (PK/M60). The .cpp would set the AI to prefer 5rd burst over full auto, and hence make the AI gunner much more accurate at any distance.

If you know how to do this, i wouldn't mind having some info...

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2002, 14:02:00 by Marsuitor »

M_S_Holder

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2002, 04:53:49 »
Red weapons is this best, but still if the AI machinegunner misses on the first shot, the rest of the burst goes WAY over the head of the targets.

I took apart the RED weapon addon, and followed his structure to fix the PK and M60.  They now fire in bursts with new sounds, and actually *hit* targets past 500 Meters, although sometimes it takes a few bursts.  In any event, the AI now uses the weapons correctly.

You basically have to ID the targets for them with your binos, though.  If you increase the sensitivity, they will notice enemy targets on their own.

If you go to the forum

www.flashpoint1985.co.uk

in the Mods and addons section, there is a thread called "please test this."  It has my M60 and PK (very small file).  The only complaint so far is that the M60 sounds kind of dull, but I don't think so.

DrMeatballs

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2002, 22:35:05 »
There was one SAW addon out there that was very accurate when used by the AI(it came with a little demo mission where your squad walked up a small valley and got cut to peices unless you acted like a coward and ran away and took the gunner out with a grenade, and red's weapons are good too, i used to have a demo mission that tested all the mgs i had available and red's came out near the top, of course Keg's RPKs from his east weapons pack are scary beasts too, even in the hands of the AI.

Offline DaCoroner

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2002, 18:48:51 »
If you are thinking of the problem of the AI firing full auto and 1 round going on point and 99 over, then i agree. I especially find the OTW M249 pack plagued with this (Brilliant addon with the exception of AI inaccuracy)

I remember seeing the RED realistic guns addon using a 5rd burst or full auto for every machinegun (PK/M60). The .cpp would set the AI to prefer 5rd burst over full auto, and hence make the AI gunner much more accurate at any distance.

If you know how to do this, i wouldn't mind having some info...

Cheers!

There are a couple ways to do this...

1) Adjust the recoil and dispersion, you can get some really cool effects by reducing the recoil and increasing the dispersion like this:

class Auto
  {
   dispersion=0.005000; // higher numbers for more spread
   recoil=0.050000,0.010000,0.006000,0.100000,0.020000,0.020000,0.300000,0,0; // time, back, up
  };

The end result is that the AI (and players) won't have to deal with as much "jump" as default OFP weapons but the rounds don't go *exactly* where you aim so it's not just a full-auto sniper rifle.

2) Create a new burst class and a new ammo type, for example:

class newmgbullet: bulletSingle
 {
   minRange=0.1;
   minRangeProbab=0.25;
   midRange=500; // increased from 100
   midRangeProbab=0.75; // increased from 0.5
   maxRange=750; // increased from 500
   maxRangeProbab=0.25; // increased from 0.08
 };

Then in your MG...

modes[]={"Burst","Auto"};
 class Burst
 {
   ammo="newmgbullet";
   burst=5;
 };

That will give you your 5 round burst that the AI prefers over auto fire.  You may have to tweak the ammo settings to achieve exactly what you want.

3) Combine the above examples, play around, be creative, have fun :)

Please note, this is incomplete code, I only listed the values that need to be changed and there is a lot more that is required for the weapons to actually work.  Hopefully this will help steer you in the right direction though.

Marsuitor

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2002, 19:18:01 »
I'll have a go.
Thanks alot!  ;)

Offline DaCoroner

• Members
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2002, 03:02:53 »
No problem, let me know if you come up with anything cool :)

Also, one thing I forgot was the aiRateOfFire and aiRateOfFireDistance, adjusting those can be a big help in controlling their behavior.  For example, try setting the ROF to zero (or so) and set then distance to whatever range you want them to crank out some lead.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2002, 03:03:30 by DaCoroner »