Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Samurai: Hai!  (Read 8588 times)

Lean Bear

Re:Samurai: Hai!
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:11:00 »
Yes, well, evidently - EHs are the most efficient way of creating a melee fighting system. I worked it out about a year ago for the Battle Royale Mod :P

Corben Dallas

« Reply #61 on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:22:50 »
Care to help with the Ancient Japan mod, Lean Bear..?  8)
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2005, 09:22:59 by Corben Dallas »

Lean Bear

« Reply #62 on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:25:39 »
I thought I was ;)

Yeah, sure. I finally finish school today, so I'll be able to work on it for you :) I think I said before - but I'm developing it currently for the Ancient War mod - but I'd be glad to adapt it for you when its more finished :)

Corben Dallas

« Reply #63 on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:32:24 »
Well yes, you have been helping, and thanks for your input. What I meant, as you gathered, was could you help with the character.

If you have something working, or even half working, I'd be glad to see it. I can't edit anything yet,but am going to look at the OFPEC manuals and try to learn how to do objects, so at least I can start getting some idea.

Viper is working an an animated peasant with a stick, but if you (or anyone else) already has non-lagging hit detection worked out, and how to include it in the addon, then it'd be a great help to us.

Bluelikeu

« Reply #64 on: 25 Jun 2005, 23:01:09 »
just thought that this might be related to the subject of "hitting" someone. One can use the DirToObj command to get the direction to an object. Then take the value returned from that function and then subtract the direction of the object from it
Ex:

abs(([unit1, unit2]call DirToObj)-(getdir unit1))

This will get the amount that the object accually needs to turn, instead of a setvalue like 280. If the unit is almost facing it, it will return a value like 5 or 14 degrees.

Thanks,
Bluelikeu

Corben Dallas

« Reply #65 on: 26 Jun 2005, 10:49:54 »
I know how to do it, and thought it's possible without any scripting from when I first thought of an Ancient Japan mod. Another well respected forum member and modder has confirmed it, and says others are using this method because scripting is slow and has other problems. My problem is I am inexperienced in making animations and weapons.

Here's what you do, theoretically. As weapon detection is automatic, you set the weapon config so that even though your weapon isn't, for example, firing bullets, it is firing itself. If need be, a small invisible configed weapon could be put on the players fists, and even feet if you made animations to kick as well as punch.

Going on from that, there are leaning animations allowing you to shoot around corners, so even multi-strike unarmed stuff is possible. Probably a lot of work (which we don't need as yet), but possible.

Weapon config works, as other modders are apparently now using it and changing their scripted versions over. If anyone here is doing that and would like to tell me and Viper how to do it in simple steps... Well, you'll get huge amounts of brownie points in heaven. (If you want huge amounts of brownie points in hell, then include a simple working character addon who can punch and damage someone..!)

Is this still on topic..? Oh yeah; Addon Ideas. Too easy to wander off and then have a moderator go, "*cough* Ahem..."
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2005, 10:53:16 by Corben Dallas »

Lean Bear

« Reply #66 on: 26 Jun 2005, 13:57:33 »
Yeah, that's what I've been using. I didn't know it was so widely recognised :P

By the weapon constantly firing, but by setting the max distance of the rounds to just outside the edge of the weapon (or hands //whatever) then it is like having a sharp blade. ie. whenever you move it next to something or someone, it dammages them.

Corben Dallas

« Reply #67 on: 26 Jun 2005, 15:14:13 »
Does it lag at all like that? Would it be possible to make it fire only when you punch, or swing the stick/sword?

Do you have a small addon I could try to see how it looks in action? Might give Viper some ideas too - he's way ahead of me on anims and such, but seeing something already working might launch him into hyper-learning...   :D