Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Manhunt not working (perhaps she likes me..?)  (Read 1483 times)

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:Manhunt not working (perhaps she likes me..?)
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2005, 13:21:30 »
the waypoint will probably still be in effect, unless it's not cycled, in which case, they'll go to the waypoint, and then properly follow the script's instructions. if they're not at the waypoint, they'll try to go to it, but every 10 seconds get an instruction to go to the player's position. if i were you i'd do it like this -

use your waypoints for where they walk, followed by a 'seek and destroy' waypoint, then a cycle waypoint. create a switch trigger activated by the killing of the general. in the 'on activation' field run your script. synchronise the trigger with the last walking waypoint, the one before 'seek and destroy'.

now. your script will change from telling them to move to the player's position, to moving the 'seek and destroy' and 'cycle' waypoints to the player's position, like this -

Code: [Select]
_huntUnit = _this select 0

#loop

[natashas_group, 5] setwppos getpos player
[natashas_group, 6] setwppos getpos player

~10

?(Alive _huntUnit):goto "loop"
exit

the key is in the numbers contained within the [natashas_group, 5] setwppos getpos player bit - if your first waypoint is numbered 0, count up to the 'seek and destroy' waypoint, and that's the number. the cycle waypoint will be the next one.

that should work, not guaranteed, and perhaps not optimal, depending on the situation.

edit - the second group can have additional 'seek and destroy' waypoints set too, perhaps around the base, or set along with the first lot, and the same switch trigger can be synchro'd to them. the only drawback is that if you kill the general while the second group is en route, they'll divert course instead of arriving at the destination and then following.

and aye, mission editing can get like this. fun isn't it ;)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2005, 13:25:32 by bedges »

Corben Dallas

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2005, 13:29:19 »
Not sure I grasp all of that, but thanks - some experimenting will help it sink in.

One thing; they actually have about 8 waypoints after the start bit, which they follow along a path and then cycle around some buildings.

Is there a way of removing all those waypoints and then doing as you suggest? Seems a more efficient way to me. (My brain hurts).

Edit: just re-read your post bedges, and it's starting to make sense...

I should be able to set another Switch trigger where the UAZ group arrive, and do the same thing with them. Ie., if the Major or either bodyguard are dead, make them go into Combat, flee, or whatever..?
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2005, 13:40:37 by Corben Dallas »

Corben Dallas

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jun 2005, 14:04:18 »
Ok, still stuck.

How do I get them to move to the final (seek and destroy/cycle) waypoints, then activate the script, when they're at waypoint 1 when I start chucking bagels?

Also, how do I synchronise a waypoint in a trigger - whut??

Just found I haven't named the group, and can't find where! My head's a shed right now. Maybe go for a nice healthy walk, without weapons...
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2005, 14:05:53 by Corben Dallas »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2005, 15:03:01 »
heheheh - welcome to the world of flashpoint editing ;)

i shall do a wee missionette and you can see how it's done.

/more soon...

Corben Dallas

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2005, 15:11:46 »
Many thanks bedges. I'm out in a few hours and all day tomorrow, so will check in tomorrow night.

Many thanks to all of you who're helping - much appreciated. I hope you like the mission when it's ready to look at (hopefully sometime within the next week). Of course decent scripted cutscenes and such will come later, though there's good atmospheric music in there already (no big files for Beta though, as advised).

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2005, 16:52:59 »
right then - it's all in the attached mission file, open her up in the editor and take a gander.

Corben Dallas

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2005, 17:27:58 »
Hadn't gone out yet, so I took a look - many thanks.

One thing I don't get is how does it know which squad is grp1 and grp2 in:

_squada = group grp1
  _squadb = group grp2

?

Is the squad name the name you give the office in the editor? (Sorry for dumb questions, but it's a steep learning curve).

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2005, 17:32:30 »
you have it. the command 'group' points at whatever group the unit happens to be in - if in doubt, check the comref.

you could alternatively assign the groupname in the init line of the lead officer by saying 'grp1 = group this'... six and half a dozen.

and aye, the initial learning curve is steepish, but in ofpec you've found yourself probably thee best resource around. no self-promotion there, it's simple fact ;)

Corben Dallas

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2005, 17:39:23 »
Yep, you folks are very patient and helpful. I think I'm getting the idea now, and a few triggers, some tweaks, and some simple (for now) trigger cutscenes and it'll be ready for a beta run and some flaming..! :)

What I'm trying to do is make it difficult enough to be entertaining, interesting in the story idea, exciting in terms of atmosphere, and with a couple of twists to make people say, "Ah - sneaky!"

More in a couple of days (unless I fall down another pothole).

Again, many thanks. ;)

Edit:

Damn that's good! Dead within moments, even with a ~20 in the loop. It's almost as if they're alive (and I'm not..!)

Happy bunny :)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2005, 17:53:59 by Corben Dallas »