Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Rearming AI with the action "Rearm at ..."?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Rearming AI with the action "Rearm at ..."?
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2005, 23:02:18 »
That might be difficult.

Try it when he still has at least one handgrenade in stock.

Then get him to put his gun in the truck, maybe once he takes the weapon again he will have a full complement of grenades too.

Then again, maybe not.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

NighthawkSE

« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2005, 23:09:42 »
My last idea didn't work either. What a shocker! lol

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2005, 23:20:15 »
Reminds me of another annoying feature of vehicles.

You want one of your men to drop a weapon so you can pick it up, but, you can't order him to drop it because the only thing you can tell him to do with it is put it in some vehicle about a million miles away.

Planck

NighthawkSE

« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2005, 02:51:35 »
Yeah... gaahhh!! This is somewhat frustrating, I must say. I guess all we can do is await the release of Armed Assault. Maybe their newly rewamped game engine will allow us to rearm our soldiers in a more normal manner? :)

Planck:
Are you sure you can't order one of your AI soldiers to drop a weapon? I mean... I just did. The "Drop M16" option was right there in the action menu, and using it actually worked.

Strange...

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2005, 02:59:37 »
Sometimes it is there and sometimes not.

I think the game waits until you really need someone to drop a weapon, then it decides to disallow it, just to p*ss you off.

Planck

NighthawkSE

« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2005, 10:44:19 »
Well, I'm starting to think so too... :)

Seriously, sometimes I forget how incredibly complex these programs are (the AI alone is a bi*ch to build, just ask anyone who has tried). I'm guessing that the guys and gals of BIS have gone out of their way to fix stuff like this, but sometimes it just can't be done due to issues within the games framework. And making sudden changes to the framework, besides being very expensive, could render mods useless resulting in an outcry from the community. So I would pu**yfoot around that option too, if I was in charge. :)

Thanks for all your input, Planck.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2005, 10:44:49 by NighthawkSE »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2005, 20:09:18 »
You're welcome.

Planck

FlyingDuck

Re: Rearming AI with the action "Rearm at ..."?
« Reply #22 on: 09 Aug 2006, 00:44:31 »
Hey,

For rearming a unit during a mission I placed a ammo truck nearby the fightin but out of sight.
Then you make a waypoint "Support" near the truck (5meters). Wihle playing you can call support "ammo" and the truck will go to your position. when the truck is there you can command you groupmember with the radio to rearm. with the action menu.
You must be in the radius of the waypoint if you are out of the radius the truck won`t come. so you have to make the radius large.

greetz,

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: 09 Aug 2006, 15:31:18 »
Reminds me of another annoying feature of vehicles.

You want one of your men to drop a weapon so you can pick it up, but, you can't order him to drop it because the only thing you can tell him to do with it is put it in some vehicle about a million miles away.

Planck

Actually, if you're the group leader, you can simply open up the map, go to the Gear section of your little notepad-thingy, and next to all their weapons and equipment there's a tiny little arrow (pointing down). Click that, and they'll get the order to drop their weapon (or magazine, or binoculars, or LAW) right there and then.

It's a bitch having them drop stuff like handgrenades and whatnot though, since you have to give a radio command for every one, but it's fairly quick. Quicker than having them put stuff in cars millions of miles away anyway :P

Just thought I'd add that little tidbit.

I've also experimented with the Rearm command in the past (can be accessed with an action ["REARM", vehicle] too, I think), but as far as I can tell it doesn't do diddly squat with AI. Didn't know it works for human players though! Planck's solution to have them put the weapon in the car and then pick it up again seems to me to be the most useable option for quick rearming. Maybe it works for rifles with attached grenadelaunchers too? At least if you pick up a GL-toting gun from a truck as a human player, any empty slots you have will fill up with Grenades and clips.

Ah well. I guess it's always possible to script in a custom addaction/radio command/doodad of some kind to give ya some quick rearming, if you can be arsed. :)

Good luck, anyways!

/Wolfrug out.

"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"