Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Turret Popping With Smoke and mirrors  (Read 9807 times)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:Turret Popping With Smoke and mirrors
« Reply #45 on: 09 Jun 2005, 21:19:16 »
Would you see the drivers? If your not modeling an opened up tank model, I dont see how you would, 1, see the crew, 2, the crew would manage to fly out.
Maybe check if the units were in the tank, if so, delete them, if they've gotten out, leave them
Not a bad idea

For the scripts.. One idea : use the eventhandler select (3?) to see how much dammage the tank took, if it's > 0.6, say, make the turrent blow of.. So if the tank is almost dead, and you fire a few rounds at it, proding it past dammage 1, the turrent doesn't blow off :P
Again, not a bad idea.

I'm not the scripter here, but it doesn't seem like those suggestions would be too hard to implement

about the blood and oil textures, i have some blood textures that if darkened will look like oil. also have some good blood splats :)
I'll keep your offer in mind.  I'm first going to see if I can get the game engine to make the textures for me.  If my attempts fail, then I will have to make my own textues.  If that happens, count on a message from me. ;)

how about seeing the crew if any survived crawl out just to add a smal bit of relaism
This might be possible.  Is it possible to setpos the crew and switchmove them to a prone position?

Thanks for the kind comments, Grendel, but be sure to include youself.  It was your idea, after all. ;)

-Student Pilot

Grendel

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jun 2005, 01:05:29 »
Hey everyone,

Once I get some screenshots together tonight, I will try having OFP info cz host the .pbo for the tank parts, unless there is anyone out there willing to upload it...(1.15 MB)

I will then post the Demo Mission on the Beta thread.

If I dare say so myself, this turned out pretty nice, folks.

-Grendel
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2005, 01:06:18 by Grendel »

Dubieman

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jun 2005, 01:51:01 »
Yes it is possible to make the crew crawl out.

tankdestroyedD setpos (getpos tankdestroyed)
tankdestroyedD setunitpos "DOWN"
tankdestroyedD move (getpos nurse)

;)

edit: Actually, use a tankdriver action ["Eject"] then the setpos seeing as he has to be moved out of the tank first.

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2005, 01:52:13 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Offline MMFF

• Members
  • Mission Maker From Finland
« Reply #48 on: 10 Jun 2005, 08:14:47 »
Well... I'm not sure about this but wouldn't it be possible that IF the turret won't fly off and the commnder has his hatch open, then wouldnt there be a 50/50 chance that he'll fly out of there... I have read about this kind of stuff happening in WW2...

Sorry for my bad english... I'm From Finland....(mmFF)

:-X
Do I need to play Operation Flashpoint to be here?

Grendel

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jun 2005, 17:21:09 »
wouldnt there be a 50/50 chance that he'll fly out of there

Yes, that's something I am working on (it would be nicer looking if OFP had decent ragdoll physics...hopefully fixed in AA)

-Grendel

Update on beta progress:  I got the screenshots ready and I will send OFP Info CZ the info to see if they will upload the .pbo.  If that doesn't work for some reason I started a freeweb site...I just have to wait a week before I can upload over 750KB :(

So, to tide you over....here are the screens:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/SSG-Grendel/k-kill2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/SSG-Grendel/hangtime.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/SSG-Grendel/secondaries.jpg

It's my first time linking to a online photo gallery, so let me know if you can't see 'em.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2005, 17:55:16 by Grendel »

BlackDeath7

« Reply #50 on: 10 Jun 2005, 18:03:57 »
Looks pretty cool, can't wait for the beta

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #51 on: 10 Jun 2005, 18:43:20 »
that does look pretty good but if a law or rpg was fired it wouldnt make he turet fly that high neither would a tank but it still loks great

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2005, 18:52:26 »
that does look pretty good but if a law or rpg was fired it wouldnt make he turet fly that high neither would a tank but it still loks great
Actually, I have heard that a turret can be popped up to 30 feet in the air. :o

Grendel

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2005, 19:11:38 »
Seeing as how there is some skepticism out there...

This should clear up a lot of questions/myths/disbelief...The pertinent section is down close to the bottom of the page, and has some quite detailed images on what a 'mere" land mine did to an M1 (pay particular attention to how much the turret weighs...

http://www.jimbesso.com/mb2/emails/2003/11/18.asp

another note: The catastrophic nature of a K-Kill need not be solely the result of the AT weapon alone, it can also be a result of ammunition cookoff (addmittedly not so much a factor with a tank like the M1 due to the effort put into crew survivability, but for soviet tanks with ammo storage around the turret ring...) Also, the final Alpha will be tweaked for effect based on damage inflicted on a round by round basis.

-Grendel

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #54 on: 11 Jun 2005, 01:09:39 »
i made new textures for the bmd which we were talking about via PM.

seeing those pics on the page you linked it looks like the abrams didn't even catch fire... so i'm wonderin if all my pretty little grime stains are completely off reality  :-\
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Grendel

« Reply #55 on: 11 Jun 2005, 06:07:46 »

so i'm wonderin if all my pretty little grime stains are completely off reality

No! Not at all! Those look great.  Most tanks that suffer a K-Kill get very burnt and scorched.  The reason the M1 appeared relatively scorch free is probably as a result of the CARC paint which is extremely tough.

I would definitely leave them that way! Great work.

-grendel

Grendel

« Reply #56 on: 17 Jun 2005, 02:09:41 »
Done!

Check the beta page!!!

-Grendel

Dubieman

« Reply #57 on: 17 Jun 2005, 03:27:33 »
Yay! ;D ;D ;D

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
« Reply #58 on: 06 Jul 2005, 03:18:36 »
I'm fairly certain that an RPG would do anything more than make a scroch mark on the hull of an M1A2,  let alone blow the turret off.  This right grendal?  And if it was anything lightly armored, like a M113, it'd make a nice neat hole and fragment inside, creating a hellish mess inside but little visible exterior damage.  Again, grendal?  This right.  If it is, you might want to check the weapon that fired the deadly shot, if it's an RPG, might want to just leave it a normal death.  Or even worse, imagine seeing a grenade send the turret hurtling 30 meters into the air.  And also, I've tried this in older versions, but I killed a BMP with roughly 450 rounds of .50 cal MG fire, concentrated on one spot.  So a killing weapon check might be warranted.

Grendel

« Reply #59 on: 06 Jul 2005, 17:24:59 »
I'm fairly certain that an RPG would do anything more than make a scroch mark on the hull of an M1A2

This is true for most of the older RPG rounds out there, but some of the new stuff is pretty nasty.  There is one that uses a Explosively Formed Penetrator which is believed to be the "silver bullet" that scored a penetrating hit on an M1 during OIF.  No crew casualties, but it managed to penetrate into the turret, narrowly missing the torso of the gunner (it did crease his seat, mess up his "chicken vest", and bruise him up a bit in the kidney region).  Small warhead technology is once again begining to surpass current countermeasures...a deadly ballet between the Armor and Anti-Armor R&D teams that is constantly in motion.

And if it was anything lightly armored, like a M113, it'd make a nice neat hole and fragment inside, creating a hellish mess inside but little visible exterior damage.  Again, grendal

The M113 (and several other APCs) have armor consisting of an alloy of magnesium and aluminium...which are incidentally two of the three components of Thermite :o.  Once they are hit with an anti tank weapon they have a nasty tendency to catch fire and melt into slag in relatively short order. Other than that, then yes, the exterior is usually pretty unscathed.

So a killing weapon check might be warranted

The final version will probably use an event handler to check for the scalar dammage of the round it was hit by, and use this value to randomly trigger the K-Kill effect if a certain threshold is surpassed (calibrated for Sabot and large HEAT warheads, Helfires, etc).  This should prevent K-Kill effects from underpowered weapons without having to edit the script for a zillion different ammo type checks.

-Grendel