Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Turret Popping With Smoke and mirrors  (Read 9775 times)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:Turret Popping With Smoke and mirrors
« Reply #30 on: 03 Jun 2005, 18:17:22 »
I have finished the rest of the hulls and turrets, here is a screenshot.

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #31 on: 03 Jun 2005, 20:00:17 »
thats cool :thumbsup: ;D

Grendel

« Reply #32 on: 03 Jun 2005, 20:28:37 »
Indeed that is VERY cool!

I recieved the updated file and I will start the scripting tonight!

-Grendel

Grendel

« Reply #33 on: 07 Jun 2005, 01:56:23 »
Just an update for those that care...

The project is near Beta...There are a few things Student Pilot is doing to tweak the models and then I will need a night to fine tune the scripts.  The effect worked quite well with the BMP and BMP1 so far, with the turrets popping and flipping lazily.  The script also adds some nice drop particle effects when the vehicle blows, a fire/smoke script for the hull, a smoke trail for the turret as it flies throught the air, and dust kip up when it lands.

Any other effects anyone would like to see?

-Grendel

Dubieman

« Reply #34 on: 07 Jun 2005, 03:38:31 »
Are you doing anything to the crew? Well I dunno if they go flying about as well, but it'd look cool.

-ammo exploding
-engine compartment fires
-broken treads? done in model?
-large open pieces of hull or turret
-oil stains and hydralics maybe
-shockdust when the turret lands
-crew crawling out...

If its doable...
which some of it is. ;)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: 07 Jun 2005, 03:54:43 »
Are you doing anything to the crew? Well I dunno if they go flying about as well, but it'd look cool.
Nothing is done to them.  They usually end up dead somewhere near the tank after it is deleted.

-ammo exploding
already done

-shockdust when the turret lands
aleady done

-oil stains and hydralics maybe
Not a bad idea, and certainly doable...for someone else ::)  I can't make textures to save my life

-engine compartment fires
I'm not sure how feasible this is.  There are no EHs that return the damaged portion of a vehicle

-large open pieces of hull or turret
Uhg, more modelling  :P

-broken treads? done in model?
(See above) ::)

-crew crawling out...
Not a bad idea either, but can the crew survive a turret popping off?

I think Grendel knows more about tanks than I do, so he can come along and correct anything I said.

Thanks for the suggestions, GuiltyRoachKillar ;)

Dubieman

« Reply #36 on: 07 Jun 2005, 04:30:55 »
Well, I used a script from FAB for tank rear engine fires that happen randomly. They just look good. I mean its smoking and having a fire and all. C'mon, for all the pyros out there... :P ;D

crew flying- no, ofp makes bodies look likes crap in the air

stains(various) - would look cool to see different fluids and such from the engine and other parts partly on the tank, could also have bloodspots that are black or something as well

modeling- ahhh, c'mon! :-* ;D I see your point.

crew crawling - wouldn't the driver be unaffected in certain instances? As for the gunner and commander....  :P :-\

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: 07 Jun 2005, 13:50:10 »
Well, I used a script from FAB for tank rear engine fires that happen randomly. They just look good. I mean its smoking and having a fire and all. C'mon, for all the pyros out there...  :P ;D
Thanks, I'll have to take a look at it.

stains(various) - would look cool to see different fluids and such from the engine and other parts partly on the tank, could also have bloodspots that are black or something as well
I agree, they would look cool, now to find a texturer...

modeling- ahhh, c'mon!  :-* ;D I see your point.
I don't know how hard it would be to model what you want, but one thing does concern me; that is the size of the addon.  If I made different models of the tank, each one showing something different ripped off, I am afraid the file size would become enormous.  Right now, with the turrets and hulls of every default vehicle in Resistance, the file size is a little over 1 meg.

crew crawling - wouldn't the driver be unaffected in certain instances? As for the gunner and commander....  :P :-\
Lol.  I'm not too sure, I think Grendel could probably clear this one up, but I would think if a shell could pop a tank turret off, it would also dislodge parts of the tank into the driver's space.  These parts would go flying fast and kill the driver.  That's what I always thought, anyway.

Thank you for your input!

Grendel

« Reply #38 on: 08 Jun 2005, 01:49:51 »
I'm not too sure, I think Grendel could probably clear this one up, but I would think if a shell could pop a tank turret off, it would also dislodge parts of the tank into the driver's space

The Thermobaric pressure alone would indeed kill the driver in a catostrophic kill of this nature.  The driver's 'hole' is usually not shielded in any way that would prevent propagation of a blast wave of this magnitude. When you factor in spalling and secondary missiles and fragmentation...the chances of anyone surviving this type of hit is virtually nill. Remember, this is enough energy to lift a several ton piece of armor several meters!  -EDIT-To put it in perspective, imagine several goldfish in a metal container that has several distinct but interconnecting chambers and a lid...and then shoot the bowl with, say, a 300 win. mag.  Before the overpressure has reached enough enegy to pop the lid, it has surpassed lethal levels of pressure for the poor fishies regardless of which chamber they happend to be in, as the pressurized water attempted to find the path of least resistance.

Mmmmmm, now I want some sushi....anyway.

I will also try to incorporate a random chance for the engine compartment to catch fire, although there is already a flame/smoke script for the 'path of least resistance' namely the spot on the hull where the turret used to be.

-EDIT-
Or maybe I will make 2 or 3 smaller, randomly placed fires on the hull to emulate burning fuel or pyric reaction of the hull armor (depleted uranium and magnesium aluminum are both flamable metals/alloys)

-Grendel

« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2005, 02:11:27 by Grendel »

Dubieman

« Reply #39 on: 08 Jun 2005, 02:45:41 »
Well, the AI in ofp don't die so easy. They always seem to crawl away from the spent tank, follow me, and shoot me in the back some time later. :P

@ the whole thing: I can't wait to play with this when you guys finish it. It'd look cool in my tank mission I made a month or two back. Night Raiders with flipping turrets and all sorts of cool effects, and at night...

@about the wreckage: Will we be seeing the crew sprawled about, or is the driver going to sitting dead in the tank or _____. (unknown)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #40 on: 08 Jun 2005, 04:49:23 »
@about the wreckage: Will we be seeing the crew sprawled about, or is the driver going to sitting dead in the tank or _____. (unknown)
Right now they are sprawled about wherever they happen to land.  I tried several attempts to config the parts as vehicles to add the driver in, but my config skills were not up to the challenge :-\

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #41 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:46:23 »
Would you see the drivers? If your not modeling an opened up tank model, I dont see how you would, 1, see the crew, 2, the crew would manage to fly out.
Maybe check if the units were in the tank, if so, delete them, if they've gotten out, leave them

For the scripts.. One idea : use the eventhandler select (3?) to see how much dammage the tank took, if it's > 0.6, say, make the turrent blow of.. So if the tank is almost dead, and you fire a few rounds at it, proding it past dammage 1, the turrent doesn't blow off :P

Looks good sofar, nice work :)
- Ben

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #42 on: 09 Jun 2005, 04:02:14 »
about the blood and oil textures, i have some blood textures that if darkened will look like oil. also have some good blood splats :)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #43 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:17:41 »
how about seeing the crew if any survived crawl out just to add a smal bit of relaism

Grendel

« Reply #44 on: 09 Jun 2005, 17:30:05 »
The Project is now nearing Beta release (pending any new tweaks by Student Pilot).

I think everyone will be quite happy with the results ;)

By the way, I would just like to reitterate that Student Pilot is THE MAN for working so quickly and dilligently on this!

-Grendel