Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Turret Popping With Smoke and mirrors  (Read 9780 times)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:Turret Popping With Smoke and mirrors
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jun 2005, 14:16:34 »
I deleted it though since it added like120+ things to my objects list making it unbearable to scroll through. But it was in russian or something, dumas of abrams and 2-3 pieces of every vehicle, almost every vehicle

Hmmmm...thats a good point.  Maybe a compromise would be to have a sort of 'universal' blown to hell, twisted hull and turret for each vehicle TYPE; All abrams get a generic Abrams hull/turret, All T series Ruskie tanks get generic T-72 hull/turrets, all M2 etc..etc...

No no no.... it is super easy to simply "hide" all those objects from the editor. Or to organize them into a different "folder" to get them out of the way of his other objects. The Rusky addon makers just didn't do the job right.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Grendel

« Reply #16 on: 01 Jun 2005, 16:17:05 »
No no no.... it is super easy to simply "hide" all those objects from the editor. Or to organize them into a different "folder" to get them out of the way of his other objects. The Rusky addon makers just didn't do the job right

Thats true, but from a pratical standpoint I think it would be better to keep common hull/turrets for vehicle types to cut down on the file size (at first anyway). The poor 56kers would appreciate it.

Is it possible to pop off the tiny turret of the BMP?
What about the M113?

BMP: Yes! even easier than the tanks, as it's turret is lighter.

M113: No. The normal M113 has no turret per say, just a weapon pintle mounted on a traversable track bolted around the commander's hatch.

Basicaly, anything with a fully enclosed turret can be popped of with sufficient energy transfer, kinetic (Sabot) or chemical (heat).

Contrary to popular belief, the turrets arent bolted or screwed on to the hull in any way (although we still mess with new recruits by telling them to traverse the turret 30 times to unscrew it lol), they just get lowered into the hull and sit tight by virtue of their weight. Provide enough energy to overcome the weight of the turret, and POP!

-Grendel

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #17 on: 01 Jun 2005, 17:10:51 »
There was a russian scripter who's done this with an effect pack. It had the effects for lots of stuff, including  tanks. It had lots of models, like skeletons that get put in burnt out cars, turrets that fly of when the tank is destoyed, fuel trucks that blow up etc
I'm sure some of the effects are included in Y2K3, but I've never noticed the turrets blowing off
I don't have the site URL anymore, which sucks :(

You should just be able to check the tank type, if it's x, then deletevehcle the tank, create the bottom of the tank corpse, and create the turrent just ahove it, setvelocity it upwards a bit. You can then do the smoke/explsions around this.

I would use the bank/pitch thing to check the tank hasn't been fliped over, if it's over y degrees any way, dont run the scripts
- Ben

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jun 2005, 17:20:16 »
Contrary to popular belief, the turrets arent bolted or screwed on to the hull in any way
Really?!  I guess I just learned something new

(although we still mess with new recruits by telling them to traverse the turret 30 times to unscrew it lol)
Lol

EDIT:
Does anyone know where the damage textures for the tanks are?
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2005, 17:54:51 by Student Pilot »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jun 2005, 18:06:00 »
Contrary to popular belief, the turrets arent bolted or screwed on to the hull in any way
i thought it was kind of bolted from inside upwards like on the 360degree gyro bikes the ones where the handelbars spin a 360

EDIT - You sould have it so theres a certain percentage when the turret coms off becuase if every single time you blow up a tank the turret comes of it would look a bit weird also how about a cracked turret like half of it just cracks and falls of after an explosion?
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2005, 18:12:44 by 456820 »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jun 2005, 18:56:43 »
I think what Grendal is thinking is the turret only pops off when the turret is hit.  I think this can be established by the use of a hit eventhandler

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:14:23 »
perhaps this is the effect pack you're looking for:
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=5344
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=5355
though i don't know if it was publicly releases... don't think so.

i agree with general barron; put the single turrets and hulls in a separate vehicleclass or set the scope value in the config to 0 (or private) and they shouldn't appear in the mission editor at all ;).

@student pilot: the dammaged textures are normally generated by the game engine out of the existing ones if you tell ofp certain things ;) . fab has a good tutorial on this: http://fab.ofp.free.fr/ -> tutorials -> dammaged tanks
a second way is to tell ofp directly which textures to use by the dammageHalf[]= {}; and dammageFull[]={}; subclasses in the  cfgvehicle class entry of the vehicle. this normally applies to textures you don't want to get darker the more the vehicle is dammaged, e.g. glass textures. check the commented configs for examples.

@grendel
i suggest that you config the hull as a vehicle due to ground alignment and cargo position reasons.
(if you don't know what i mean by ground alignment: place the wrecked ural and the sand bag fence on a steep surface in the mission editor. the ural will partly vanish in the earth, the sand bag fence will be aligned to the ground but not as steep as the ground - upright so to speak)

how do you want to check the direction the turret faces shortly before it is blown away?
or do you let it all vanish in a huge cloud of dust?  ;D

//edit @student pilot:
quote from igor drukov's tut on EHs:
"hit" (men or vehicles) :
_this select 0 : who's hit (can be either a man or a vehicle) ;
_this select 1 : who did (h)it ;
_this select 2 : scalar damage value.
"dammaged" (doesn't work for vehicles) :
-> you _cannot_ detect when the turrent is hit by using an eventhandler. however you can check if the turret was severly damaged by using the canfire query.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2005, 23:21:32 by remcen »
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:28:15 »
the dammaged textures are normally generated by the game engine out of the existing ones
I thought this was the case, thanks for clearing it up

you _cannot_ detect when the turrent is hit by using an eventhandler. however you can check if the turret was severly damaged by using the canfire query.
I thought one of the EH's returned which part was hit, or is this the dammaged EH which is not available to vehicles?

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:32:00 »
yep, unfortunatly. hopefully this changes when AA comes out
... sorry for not posting the rest, here you go:
"dammaged" (doesn't work for vehicles) :
_this select 0 : who's damaged ;
_this select 1 : what part of the body has been hit ("nohy" for the legs, "ruce" for the hands, "hlava" for the head, "telo" for the torso).
_this select 2 : scalar damage value ;
This EH does NOT return who has shot.
igor's whole tut can be found here if someone ever wanted to know that ;D
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:43:39 »
Fabs tut is also available on  OFPEC

Planck   ;D ;D
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Grendel

« Reply #25 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:54:36 »
I also agree the hull/turrets should not show up in the -objects- pull down...Although a -seperate- folder could come in handy if a mission editor wanted to add the effect of already popped tanks to their mission.

And I agree Ben, the effect will be based on a roughly 50/50 chance...And the getpitch usage is a good idea.

Actually, the turrets should pop off with hull hits as well.

The hull of a tank is basically an armored shell, without a lot of separation between engine, crew, and turret. The only real 'shieling' of the engine from an internal standpoint is usually just to keep the carbon monoxide from the crew, and in my M3a2, consists of removable aluminum plates with rubber gaskets between the driver and the engine.

So any hit to the hull has the potential of providing enough energy to lift the turret.

As far as the turret mounting thing and bike handlebar gyros, the reason tanks don't use this is twofold: First this would be very expensive to manufacture and install and (due to the mass of a turret) is not practical or necessary. As long as the tank is upright, the turret aint goin nowhere on its own, trust me. Second, it would make pulling a turret for repairs or maintenance much slower and difficult-not good during a shooting war OR garrison for that matter.

-Grendel

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: 02 Jun 2005, 18:05:43 »
@anyone who can config better than me (that should be most of you)
I have tried to config the tank parts, but my skills aren't good enough for this sort of thing.  I can make the models, but I will need help to config them.

I have one question before I continue making the models:
Do you want the models to include the proxies and named selections?
Or do you simply want the models withought the proxies and named selections?

If the model has the proxies and named selections, it should be possible to config the addon to take advantage of OFP's damaged textures

If the model is without the proxies and named selections, I will probably need someone to include a texture I can texture the parts with to make them appear damaged (my texture abilities sort of suck ::))

-Student Pilot

Grendel

« Reply #27 on: 02 Jun 2005, 19:21:58 »
I have one question before I continue making the models:
Do you want the models to include the proxies and named selections?
Or do you simply want the models withought the proxies and named selections?

Whichever is easier for you to config at this point.  To make the scripting work I don't really need accurate textures yet, just some physical models to play with.  My opinion though would be to suggest just retexturing the objects instead of having OFP do it with the proxies and named selections.  It sounds easier to config, and I can probably work on the textures if I had a base .paa or .jpeg skin to work with.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: 03 Jun 2005, 02:06:55 »
@Grendal
I'll go ahead and send you the T80 and T72 parts so you can experiment with them.  One thing about the parts, for some reason when they are created, they won't be affected by setvelocity commands until they are shot, I usually camcreate a shell or handgrenade to get around this.  I will try to get this fixed for the final release.  Also, the parts are not textured in damage textures yet, so no matter what you do to them they will be like new :P

Here is a picture of the turret in action (note, the script is horridly simple, I didn't write this script to compete with you, Grendal, just to show the turret in action ;))

Grendel

« Reply #29 on: 03 Jun 2005, 02:18:59 »
In response to the screenshot:

OH, HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :thumbsup:

Don't worry a  bit about the textures or the need to shoot the turret first, as I planned on camcreate'ing a shell under it anyway (with a slightly random offset and some setvelocity shinanigens) to help get it to flip hopefully....

I eagerly await the models.

Once again: Good show, I say...good show!

-Grendel