Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI detect Enemy? help!  (Read 1754 times)

Offline ofp addict

• Members
AI detect Enemy? help!
« on: 02 Feb 2011, 16:05:00 »
Hello. How do I get the static or patrolling AI to detect and investigate an enemy that has entered into the radius of a trigger?

I want to be able do this for a mission Im making where I'm playing as a black-ops and I must sneak into a heavily guarded enemy base. With only one or two ways to sneak into the base.

It would also be healthy for my mission briefing by suggesting caution to motion sensors or trip wires.. thank you. I want to do this without add-ons.!

I use GOTY 1.96, And JAM3 addon only.. I aim to make 100 single missions pack for the public.. Thank you for all the help
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2011, 16:08:12 by ofp addict »
Infinite love is the only truth. Everything else is illusion

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: AI detect Enemy? help!
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2011, 21:12:00 »
Welcome to OFPEC addict! You seem like you could go for some tutorials. What you're speaking of is basic editing.

Patrol example: WP 1 MOVE - safe>>limited>>open fire/engage at will>>column
                      WP 2 no changes
                      WP 3 Cycle(place near the first waypoint)
                      WP 4 Seek and Destroy - Aware(or combat)>>normal>>nochanges>>wedge(or whatever)
Place a trigger with properties set like...West>>DetectedByEast and then synchronize it to the patrols Cycle WP.
Once an east unit detects the player inside the radius of the trigger the group switches behavior, speed and formation.

Static example: WP1 MOVE - safe>>limited>>open fire/engage at will>>nochanges
                      WP2 Seek and Destroy - aware>>normal>>no changes>>nochanges

Synchronize the first waypoint with the same trigger and the group will stay in safe mode, with their rifle slung at the first WP position until a west unit is detected inside the radius.

All of this can be done by scripts too. You can find the commands in the COMREF.

I really do recommend reading some tutorials first though.

If after reading some tutorials, you still are stumped, please use key words in the sites search feature to hunt down threads already covering your question. If you still come up empty handed, please post your question in our editing boards.

By all means, release your mission beta versions in our mission boards and we can help you improve it or find the bugs.

One last bit of advice? Download and play already complete missions from our archives and then open them up in the editor to see how they work. Sometimes, the best way to learn is by seeing it in action.

Great luck to you and again, welcome! :clap:

Offline ofp addict

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb 2011, 14:47:19 »
Thanks this seems to help alot I tried it but its not quite what i was looking for but I suppose it will do.

I was hoping to be detected by entering a trigger without actually making contact (being spotted) to suggest a trip-wire or motion sensor.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2011, 17:36:16 »
I was hoping to be detected by entering a trigger without actually making contact (being spotted) to suggest a trip-wire or motion sensor.

That's easy, then! Simply do exactly the same as what SBG describes earlier, except that the trigger conditions should be "West--Present" instead of "West--Detected by East."
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline ofp addict

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2011, 20:27:57 »
Thank you for that you have both been a great help.. It works.   :-[    :good:

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2011, 21:00:06 »
Just to give you a pointer. Be creative with that sensor because no one likes playing a mission and not having some sort of visible evidence that an alarm is present to detect them. Especially if the mission depends on stealth and the player does a fantastic job of being stealthy by hiding bodies, crawling, counting steps and timing routes and carefully examining the areas as they go, to infiltrate a place only to have a sensor that they were actually looking out for give them away when there is no visible trace that a sensor is anywhere near them.

Just a suggestion.

Offline ofp addict

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 05 Feb 2011, 19:52:29 »
mmm. I will put objects\cameras situated around the triggers to where the black ops could be detected. And objects\ radio (RT-256) dropped just below ground level to look like motion sensors.. These will give clues hopefully, And I will obscure them behind bushes not to make it too lame.. And maybe an additional trigger with an outer radius with on-screen text warning warning or sensor perimeters. it should be good when the missions are done..

Also SBG to your first reply do i make that trigger (switch) . ? thanks again guys for all your help . x

BTW my real ofp name is (GWG) Bl@ckAdder I played in the mulitplayer community for years.  :cool2:

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 09 Feb 2011, 17:21:26 »
Yes, the trigger should be a switch type.
You can also switch them to return to their initial waypoint route or static position by inserting another cycle waypoint synchronized to another switch type trigger with a different condition(s) that identifies when the player has left the area.

That will force units to respond to player detection or tripwires and if nothing is found or player is not spotted after a certain amount of time, they return to their responsibilities.